Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

You stopped drinking. What would you consider yourself to be:

Notices
View Poll Results: I stopped drinking. I would consider myself to be....
a non-drinker
42.67%
In recovery
38.67%
Recovered
12.00%
Other, please explain
6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

You stopped drinking. What would you consider yourself to be:

Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body and am now a non-drinker by definition. Many, if not the majority , of problem drinkers become non-drinkers by choice. They did not have to recover from anything. Their problem was different to mine.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I have been in recovery almost 26 years now. For me, I like the term "In Recovery" It gives it life. Once again FOR ME, my recovery is an ongoing process, it will not be completed as long as I am active in it. Recovered seems to imply that it is complete, which is not the case for me. I am also a non-drinker, but that is because I am in recovery.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am an alcoholic who has been retired from drinking for 5 years and 3 months.

That is a the flippant answer. My actual answer would be 'I quit a while back' or similar and if pressed I my say 'I used to drink too much.'
Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I chose in recovery, because I know I'm just one major upset to get me back on the wagon again.

I've hit 635 days and I still feel I'm walking a tightrope. Some days being easier than others.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
I tend to agree with avoiding labels. Is it okay to tell people I simply don't drink? Do they really need the back story?
That's all I ever say.

Very occasionally someone will ask why not and I answer honestly that it became a problem for me so I don't anymore.

Then it just gets left at that usually but sometimes you get a hand on the shoulder and "well done, that's good to hear" or a compliment of some kind.

Honestly, the people who make the biggest deal out of what to say and stress about the possible reaction to same ... Is us.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I said that I've recovered. However, just like others have said, it can still be a life ender if I ever go back there again.

It's just not something I struggle with anymore. Most days, I don't even think of the addiction. It's all about living.

When my mom died, one of the last things I told her was "You don't have to worry about me anymore. I'm never going back" To me it would be like grabbing a hammer and hitting myself in the face with it. It would REALLY hurt, so I don't do it. Same thing with booze. It has no more power over me than a hammer to the face.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm a non drinker.

That describes my current lifestyle.

I don't really give a rip about the semantics of how other people want to describe things. My life moves in only one direction, forward. And from this point forward, I plan to continue to be a non drinker.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I am an alcoholic who has been retired from drinking for 5 years and 3 months.

That is a the flippant answer. My actual answer would be 'I quit a while back' or similar and if pressed I my say 'I used to drink too much.'

The few times that I was questioned why I quit, I simply state that I "had no off switch." that usually ends the conversation.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

eternally in recovery.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It’s been almost six years without alcohol for me but I’m saying “in recovery” because I’m one drink away from drinking again, even though it seems that’ll never happen. I never want to get too confident. I’ve read too many stories.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
I tend to agree with avoiding labels. Is it okay to tell people I simply don't drink? Do they really need the back story?
At a wedding once and this couple asked me why I wasnt drinking..... As you do.....Anyway i told them if i have even one drink it will kill me. I also told them I had AUD only the initials though. ( Alcohol Use Disorder ) Watching them scurry away looking uncomfortable gave me a chuckle. It always works guys.

So back on topic to the OP I put in recovery because afaik this thing is for life It doesnt end. There is no coin for Recovered. Only for years of recovery. Its a nice idea, dont get me wrong, but 30 years of abuse and six years sober, hmmmm, my math is not good but that just doesnt seem or sound right at all for me.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Abstaining isn't a daily struggle anymore, and my commitment to sobriety is ironclad. But I think I might take my sobriety for granted if I began to think of myself as a non-drinker rather than in recovery. And consciously reminding myself that I am indeed an alcoholic is also helpful. It reminds me that I'm not like most people and that booze is poison for me. I have a disorder (or disease) that requires a lifetime of daily "treatment." Treatment consists of the various things in my "I'm not gonna drink today" toolkit.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tynesider22 View Post
I chose in recovery, because I know I'm just one major upset to get me back on the wagon again.

I've hit 635 days and I still feel I'm walking a tightrope. Some days being easier than others.
Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I said that I've recovered. However, just like others have said, it can still be a life ender if I ever go back there again.

It's just not something I struggle with anymore. Most days, I don't even think of the addiction. It's all about living.

When my mom died, one of the last things I told her was "You don't have to worry about me anymore. I'm never going back" To me it would be like grabbing a hammer and hitting myself in the face with it. It would REALLY hurt, so I don't do it. Same thing with booze. It has no more power over me than a hammer to the face.
Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
It’s been almost six years without alcohol for me but I’m saying “in recovery” because I’m one drink away from drinking again, even though it seems that’ll never happen. I never want to get too confident. I’ve read too many stories.
I use the term “in recovery” for the same reasons as the other people voting for that moniker.

But I also freely tell people that “I don’t drink “.

I view my sobriety as a daily effort and commitment that I take very seriously.

I’m in AA and I have been sober more than half of my life and most of my adult life, but The Big Book’s term “recovered” is just too ambitious for my comfort level.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm nearly a year sober now, and after so long drinking such a long time seemed like a dream, and I thought anyone that could manage that was surely recovered. However, I feel more 'in recovery' than I did in the early days and months. Maybe after being so unwell that was the main driver initially, and maybe being sober is uncovering long buried issues that I'm having to work on now I have the clarity to realise them. I feel I need to tell myself I'm in recovery so I keep working at it.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Recovering alcoholic. I don't think anyone is fully recovered. Even if you don't drink until the day you die. A doctor once told me that she had a patient that was sober for 40 years. He was at a wedding and figured one drink would not hurt. Went back to drinking a case a night.From time to time you will still have that urge. In recovery to me means that you are at a treatment center. This is my $.02 USD.

M
Old 04-11-2020, 05:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Very interesting thread, thanks! It's nice to hear from all these long term sober people, and a little about them.
I chose 'in recovery'. It's still work for me, so I like the active sound of it.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I am a non-drinker.