Notices

Terrible three weeks ahead…

Old 03-25-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible three weeks ahead…

Tomorrow night at twelve, South Africa goes into an official Lock-down for three weeks. Only essential stores and service-providers may be open. NOT liquor stores. So today my dad and stepmom went shopping and bought two boxes of brandy (24 x 750mlbottles) and lots of Coke. One a day and a bit to spare…
To add to an already bad situation, my stepbrother and his wife – who lives in another of the three houses on the property - will also be home for the three week period, which may very well be extended, and they will also be stocking up on their liquor tomorrow before the sirens go. They will all visit between houses, all on the same stand. Drunk, noisy, loud, ugly…
Three weeks minimum of one big drunken booze-up ahead. It’s going to be hard to stay sober – or sane for that matter…
Old 03-25-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hope you get through this unscathed. I didn't know you were from South Africa. Makes me want to listen to Die Antwoord.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
Tomorrow night at twelve, South Africa goes into an official Lock-down for three weeks. Only essential stores and service-providers may be open. NOT liquor stores. So today my dad and stepmom went shopping and bought two boxes of brandy (24 x 750mlbottles) and lots of Coke. One a day and a bit to spare…
To add to an already bad situation, my stepbrother and his wife – who lives in another of the three houses on the property - will also be home for the three week period, which may very well be extended, and they will also be stocking up on their liquor tomorrow before the sirens go. They will all visit between houses, all on the same stand. Drunk, noisy, loud, ugly…
Three weeks minimum of one big drunken booze-up ahead. It’s going to be hard to stay sober – or sane for that matter…
Oh god. You are the lucky one to be not drinking throughout all this. Do not let the situation convince you to drink. Don’t use that as excuse. You’d only drink bc you’re an addict, not bc of the situation. For me, 11 months sober, your situation makes me NOT want to drink. It would make it sooooo much harder to deal with. You can do this. When you make it over this mountain, all the next mountains will seem smaller. Give yourself this gift!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Hope you get through this unscathed. I didn't know you were from South Africa. Makes me want to listen to Die Antwoord.
Hi, Carl. Born here and still here, 56 years later. I wish I had "Die Antwoord" (The Answer) sometimes...To a lot of stuff. Right now how to survive both of these sicknesses - Corona and Addict. Addict being the worst of the two by a long shot, as far as I'm concerned...
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

Oh god. You are the lucky one to be not drinking throughout all this. Do not let the situation convince you to drink. Don’t use that as excuse. You’d only drink bc you’re an addict, not bc of the situation. For me, 11 months sober, your situation makes me NOT want to drink. It would make it sooooo much harder to deal with. You can do this. When you make it over this mountain, all the next mountains will seem smaller. Give yourself this gift!
Thanks, Sohard. I'll make it, I'm sure. It's not seeing them drink that will make me crave a drink myself, but the fact that it will provide escape - even temporary - from a really bad situation/place. But "temporary" is the key-word here, as we both know, and I'm not going there. Thanks for your supportive words.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey RB

I'm so sorry you have to put up with a batch of obnoxious / sometimes angry drunks.

How far is it between houses in your compound? Is there any land attached you can get out for a bit during the day--I know you said it is unsafe at night.

Do you have earplugs, or can you get some? When I have to deal with drunk spouse singing or playing music loud, I put in earplugs and check out with a novel or get on SR.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you can be here with us, at least part of the time. It's good you can talk about it instead of suffering silently - we all care, RB.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My recovery is permanent and unyielding no matter what happens.

It may be difficult at times but I believe you can stay sober RB, even under those conditions

D
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oof, RB, just observe the ugliness and know you do not need to participate.
least always suggests gratitude...and that might be just the ticket in this situation.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

Who knows?... watching the one big drunken booze-up unfold might just strengthen your resolve to stay sober and not return to that life style. Could be a great learning experience. As it unfolds, take a good long look in the mirror of self reflection...what your life was like...what your life is like now...what you want your life to be like in the future. You can do this. You can come out the other side stronger. To thine own self be true.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds truly horrifying. Not your place in it all, but theirs. They're at the mercy of their illness. You're completely free from it. Enjoy that freedom. You can enjoy the sun and the weather and the beautiful things God offers us everyday without having this monkey on your back.

Need a break? Take a nap. I love catching up on sleep and it's a good "off" button for awhile to recharge. I'm betting they envy your choices and changes whether they will admit it or not.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hey RB

I'm so sorry you have to put up with a batch of obnoxious / sometimes angry drunks.

How far is it between houses in your compound? Is there any land attached you can get out for a bit during the day--I know you said it is unsafe at night.

Do you have earplugs, or can you get some? When I have to deal with drunk spouse singing or playing music loud, I put in earplugs and check out with a novel or get on SR.
Hi, Hawk. The three houses are on an 1 acre stand; built in a triangle and about 30 meters apart. No attached/extra land unfortunately - we are in the suburbs. There's a big public park just across the road, but it's a no-go area during Lock-down. I'll just stick to my writing; I might get a lot done, who knows? But I will NOT drink.
Thanks for caring and best wishes...
Old 03-26-2020, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support and input. Be sober and be safe.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, Rockbottom,
Have you read Alexandra Fuller's memoirs? As you tell us about your life and challenges, it mirrors her experience almost exactly. Try them. Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness and Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. Basically about growing up in Africa surrounded by a family and community of alcoholics. Beautiful writing.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
Thanks, Sohard. I'll make it, I'm sure. It's not seeing them drink that will make me crave a drink myself, but the fact that it will provide escape - even temporary - from a really bad situation/place. But "temporary" is the key-word here, as we both know, and I'm not going there. Thanks for your supportive words.
gotcha. This makes total sense. I miss that temporary escape too at times. Good for you for staying strong.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow rockbottom it's difficult to imagine how rough this will be. We should set up a fund to get you out of there!!
Old 03-27-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are going to be a witness to a lot of hangovers. That should help you stay sober.

Maybe you should start a 7:00 a.m. exercise routine and encourage them to join you.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingMyNext View Post
Hi, Rockbottom,
Have you read Alexandra Fuller's memoirs? As you tell us about your life and challenges, it mirrors her experience almost exactly. Try them. Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness and Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. Basically about growing up in Africa surrounded by a family and community of alcoholics. Beautiful writing.
Thanks, FMN. I've bookmarked your post and will read them soon; got to finish my own first.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
You are going to be a witness to a lot of hangovers. That should help you stay sober.

Maybe you should start a 7:00 a.m. exercise routine and encourage them to join you.
Only one part of their anatomies these people are interested in exercising, Zebra: their elbows...
Old 03-27-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
Wow rockbottom it's difficult to imagine how rough this will be. We should set up a fund to get you out of there!!
Sure, Brainsy. Maybe I should start a Go-fund-me page on Facebook. Thanks for caring.