Notices

Back after 4 months

Old 03-18-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back after 4 months

I did really well for 4 months but then my boredom got to me and I've been drinking a pint once a week for the past 3 weeks. Yesterday I drank too fast and the area right below my shoulder feels real tight and I had the chills this morning. Obviously I need to end it now and find a better way to entertain myself. Ive always been socially awkward so that's my struggle.

Just kind of looking for some encouragement. It's hard not having a friend to talk to. I really struggle to connect with people.

Sooooo, I guess I'm back 😒
Old 03-18-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back cubsfan

As I see it this is a really bad time to be straining your immune system by drinking alcoholically.

Stay healthy, make good decisions and take good care of yourself.

D
Old 03-18-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back, too. But sorry to hear about the drinking.
I'm socially awkward also. I have friends from work mostly. But they're great friends, not drunken bar acquaintances.
We're always here if you need to talk, or write as the case is.
I know what it's like to be lonely. It's a big reason I drank myself into a stupor for so long.
I feel fine entertaining myself now. Sober. I hope you can do the same.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What do you guys do for fun?
Old 03-18-2020, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For fun, I like to walk my little beagirl when the weather is decent. The sunshine, fresh air, and exercise is good for both of us.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cubsfan2k View Post
What do you guys do for fun?
Someone started a thread or a list many years ago and people just kept adding to it for stuff to do when you get sober. I'm sure someone will post it.

What do I do?

Restore classic cars, paint, draw, play video games, chess, write, drag racing, flyin radio control planes, target shooting, collecting rare books, guns and knives, boxing, mma(when my joints cooperate) hiking, cooking, I like making hot sauce that can peel the paint off of wood) and movies...that's pretty much all.

When I was drinkin'...I just drank.

I'm glad you're back!
Old 03-19-2020, 02:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
Restore classic cars, paint, draw, play video games, chess, write, drag racing, flyin radio control planes, target shooting, collecting rare books, guns and knives, boxing, mma(when my joints cooperate) hiking, cooking, I like making hot sauce that can peel the paint off of wood) and movies...that's pretty much all.

When I was drinkin'...I just drank.

I'm glad you're back!
I don't do half of what BD does... But the thing he described for most of us is in bold above.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

I think it's different for different people. I'm naturally introverted so I'm pretty comfortable in my own company. In early sobriety I went to a lot of AA meetings and spent a lot of time working on improving myself (i.e. working the steps).

I'm coming up on 7 years sober now and here's what I do for "fun". ��

Right now I'm doing pretty strict "social distancing" since I'm in the "at risk" group of people. But in normal times I would go to a 2-3 AA meetings a week. When the opportunity arises I also sponsor newcomers to the program and guide them through the steps.

I take at least one long walk a day (2-3mi) weather permitting (probably average 5 times a week). Sometimes I will break that up into 2 shorter walks (1.5mi each). I have what my town calls a "greenway" right behind my house. It's a 1mi paved path that runs along a creek, so I assume it's a strip of land that could not be developed. It's a beautiful little stretch of nature in the middle of town that is not used much during weekdays, so I pretty much have it to myself when I take my walks during the middle of the day. I have seen more traffic on it this week however since many people are not working or are working from home.

In the last couple of years I have learned how to cook. I have always been able to do the basics, but I've branched out a bit more and have gotten more "creative" with my meals. I started following a few cooking channels on YouTube for guidance and it's been pretty fun. I try to cook a nice meal at least twice a week, and since I live alone that usually translates into 4 home cooked meals a week because I have leftovers the next day.

Other things I do...hmmm. I play A LOT of online poker. I also watch a lot of the best pros play it on Twitch. I read or listen to books, watch a lot of diverse YT channels on a wide range of topics, watch a lot of golf (obviously not right now though), play golf when my health allows it (which it hasn't lately), chat with my sister either through texts or on the phone.

Looking at what I do I could imagine someone might see my life as boring. Hell I might think that if I transported myself back in time 20 years . But somehow it works for me today. I guess what I would suggest is finding some things that really interest you and take a deep dive into them. I find that I can get engrossed in something and the hours just fly by, and in early sobriety having the hours fly by without thinking about a drink is really helpful.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did really well for 4 months but then my boredom got to me and I've been drinking a pint once a week for the past 3 weeks. Yesterday I drank too fast and the area right below my shoulder feels real tight and I had the chills this morning. Obviously I need to end it now and find a better way to entertain myself. Ive always been socially awkward so that's my struggle.

Just kind of looking for some encouragement. It's hard not having a friend to talk to. I really struggle to connect with people.

Sooooo, I guess I'm back ��

You're always welcome back here. A thousand mile journey begins always with one step. But everyone is different and it is totally normal to stumble once in a while.
The finish line is the same for all of us. But we each get there on our own paths and in our own phase.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. Not a real good month for me. At the end of the day I'm not going to be able to quit alcohol until I find something worth living for. Going to work, coming home to an empty house, watching a few shows and going to bed at 9 is my daily life. On my off days I feel like I "earned" to get blasted.

I'm sure you guys think "why can't this guy just find a hobby and get over himself" I don't know what to say. It's been downhill ever since I left school. I feel like I'm not capable of connecting with people and at the same point isolation is killing me.

Sorry, just had to post something. I drank last night and I'm horribly hungover and disappointed in myself and life.

Have a good day guys. Hope you are ok.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to find a purpose and a reason, a meaning to my life too cubsfan - but I had to stop drinking to do that.

do you think you might have the cart before the horse?

If you want to make a difference, want to feel useful and productive and avoid the empty house syndrome and you're young and healthy there's any number of things need doing in everyones community these days in the pandemic.

D
Old 04-02-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

Hang in there, CubsFan. Dee is exactly right. First things first. Get back to the sobriety first, and you had 4 months before so you know you can do that. Once you're sober again, seeing how things really are more clearly, all kinds of great reasons for be alive can start taking shape. You'll be able to find meaning all around you, I bet.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I feel like I'm not capable of connecting with people and at the same point isolation is killing me.
We are all supposed to be isolating now. Don't use it as an excuse to drink.