Notices

Alcohol based hand gel

Old 03-13-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol based hand gel

Can you use alcohol-based hand gel? I have health conditions that could get me into trouble if I catch the virus. I have no idea about this so I'm looking for advice from you people who have more experience about this.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You mean will the alcohol penetrate your skin and be harmful as an alcoholic? No.

Will the smell trigger you to drink? It doesn't for me. You'll have to decide.

The CDC and WHO say soap and water with a 20 second hand-washing procedure is more effective against viruses. Actually hand sanitizers are mean to be used if soap isn't available.

I don't use mouthwashes or cold medicines or NA beers or wines or kombucha that contain a tiny amount of alcohol or even vanilla flavoring made with alcohol, but they are ingested so they are off my menu.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

When I first sobered up, I was physically addicted to alcohol but the vast majority of my addiction was mentally based. The effects of my physical addiction abated with time but I was still left with the addiction in the space between my ears. If something worries me or causes me concern, I don't do that thing. I can use alcohol based hand sanitizers and gargle with Listerine with no issues, but that is me. Each individual needs to decide what is right for them.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work in an industry where we have to use portable toilets on site.

They always have the hand sanitizer in them so it's that or don't wash your hands.

My experience with sobriety and those gels ....

Trying to stay sober by myself .... Oh my God, that smells like vodka, oh dang, that'd be nice, just one drink after work, but no that's what I always say blah blah blah ...

And spend the rest of the day struggling with the thought of a drink.

Went on like that for years. Never did get mentally adjusted to using the gel.

Now, having been through a certain program of action

It still smells like vodka, but my mind reacts very differently

No triggered response, if anything a kind of revulsion rises.

Then I walk out and go about my day, go make a hot drink, have a chat and a laugh with workmates.

It just doesn't bother me at all anymore. 😊
Old 03-13-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've heard of people drinking that stuff when badly in need of a drink- not pretty!!
Old 03-13-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use it.

I was somewhere today where there are medically fragile persons and not only did we have to use it upon entering the facility, we were watched by a health worker to ensure we did.
It doesn't bother me, but I was fortunate to not be a daily drinker and although I was an alcoholic, if I wasn't able to drink, I could make it through until I could. I also knew all bets were off once I started, so I made sure I got home before Dr Jekyll let Mr Hyde play.
Everyone is different. You could probably add essential oils, change the scent a bit, I don't actually know if you can, some mom of the year on pinterest probably has an instructional pin
Old 03-13-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ZIP

While I was enrolled in my medical program, we all were tested fairly often (urinalysis). So, there was a prohibition of any ingested alcohol in the enrollement agreement...no kombucha, no poppy seeds, no mouthwash, no fermented beverages, no drugs, no weed, no OTC medications without approval. ..etc.etc.

I don't recall any prohibition on proper use of hand sanitizers, though. I did use them when hand washing wasn't available, and still do. Doesn't bother me...just my .02.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I made my own since the stores have had none. Used 70% isopropyl alcohol aloe gel, tea tree oil and sandalwood oil. The oils give it a nice fragrance no alcohol smell. To be honest I didn’t even think about the alcohol. Don’t know if that’s good or bad
Old 03-13-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've used it and had no problems.

Good to read what Biminiblue had to say about 20 second wash with soap being just as effective.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From the CDC on hand washing and sanitizers :

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when...ndwashing.html Hand Washing

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show...ndwashing.html Show me the Science (hand washing)
Old 03-13-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
I use it.

I was somewhere today where there are medically fragile persons and not only did we have to use it upon entering the facility, we were watched by a health worker to ensure we did.
It doesn't bother me, but I was fortunate to not be a daily drinker and although I was an alcoholic, if I wasn't able to drink, I could make it through until I could. I also knew all bets were off once I started, so I made sure I got home before Dr Jekyll let Mr Hyde play.
Everyone is different. You could probably add essential oils, change the scent a bit, I don't actually know if you can, some mom of the year on pinterest probably has an instructional pin
I went to see my son in a hospital last evening and was asked questions related to my health and required to use hand sanitizer at the door prior to entry. Absolutely no kids are allowed into the hospital.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I've used it and had no problems.

Good to read what Biminiblue had to say about 20 second wash with soap being just as effective.
More effective!!