Notices

It's been a long time...

Old 03-09-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been a long time...

... and I don't know if anyone on here now remembers me, but I joined here January 1, 2012, desperate to quit drinking for good.

I havent been back on here in quite a long time, but for some reason Sober Recovery crossed my mind today and I just wanted to come back and say thank you for giving me back my life.

I have not touched a drink since the day I joined and while it wasn't easy, it was made easier by all the wonderful people I met back then on this site.

I had been a heavy drinker (wine and vodka) for almost 20 years. I recognised it was bad for me; I also knew that I was starting to get physical symptoms that concerned me.

So next New Years Day I will be 9 years sober. To anyone on here doubting themselves, I had those doubts, too. But this site and the community I met on here helped keep stromg more than they can ever know

You can do it.

With love,

Sunny xxx
Old 03-09-2020, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Sunny!

What a lovely post - I'm so glad that SR managed to help get your life back!
Congratulations on over 8 years sober, that is honestly so amazing and your strength and positivity are admirable.
I recently joined SR just 10 days ago - My situation was quite similar to yours, heavily drinking wine/vodka for the past 12 years but I'm committed to making a change and remaining sober!
Everyone here has already helped more than I could have imagined and that's something ill always be grateful for

Here's to many more happy and sober years ahead of us
Old 03-09-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Way to go, Sunny!!!!!!!!!!! Good to see you again!!
Old 03-09-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a very impressive achievement since 2012. I joined in 2014 but staying sober has only stuck now fully since May 2019.

Nice to see a fellow Irish person here too.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I feel so blessed to have found this place when I desperately needed it. Tonight I am watching the documentary 'Rain in my Heart' on YouTube. It was so important in my early days of sobriety and I can't recommend it enough.

I don't take my sobriety for granted and it is good to check into SR because I really owe it so much. I never imagined I'd make a month let alone 8 years.

One day at a time.

S xxx
Old 03-09-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember you - hey !

congrats on entering your 9th year !

D
Old 03-09-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done. I'm currently on day 266 and I'm loving it!!
Old 03-09-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sugarbear and Dee, so lovely to see you both x

I was looking over my friends list from all those years ago and wondering how everyone is doing. Hopefully all well.

This place was my go to place every day after work to keep me away from temptation. Lovely to see some of you still here.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done ,John. Keep going. Best thing I ever did for myself was get sober.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunny27 View Post
Thank you. I feel so blessed to have found this place when I desperately needed it. Tonight I am watching the documentary 'Rain in my Heart' on YouTube. It was so important in my early days of sobriety and I can't recommend it enough.
S xxx

It's pretty hard hitting, isn't it? I've seen it a few times now, unfortunately a few on that show have died since due to their alcoholism.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Reid82, I read Vanda passed away. I'm not sure what happened to Mark. Does anyone know?

Hard hitting is right. It had a massive impact on me back in 2012 and it affected me again tonight.

Like everyone, I've had ups and downs over the last 8 years, but drinking has never been an option for me. I hope it remains that way.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Reid82, I read Vanda passed away. I'm not sure what happened to Mark. Does anyone know?

Hard hitting is right. It had a massive impact on me back in 2012 and it affected me again tonight.

Like everyone, I've had ups and downs over the last 8 years, but drinking has never been an option for me. I hope it remains that way.

Yes, Vanda passed away. I'm not sure about Mark. he had a very strong addiction at that time as you might recall so hope he's ok now.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Yes, Vanda passed away. I'm not sure about Mark. he had a very strong addiction at that time as you might recall so hope he's ok now.
I tried googling but couldn't find anything. Still thinking about the programme today. It was one of the most important programmes I have ever watched in my life and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that.

I'm 47 now, Vanda was 43 in the show but looked so much older. It is just so sad they could not find their way back to appreciating and enjoying life. I really am so blessed.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried googling but couldn't find anything. Still thinking about the programme today. It was one of the most important programmes I have ever watched in my life and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that.

I'm 47 now, Vanda was 43 in the show but looked so much older. It is just so sad they could not find their way back to appreciating and enjoying life. I really am so blessed.

Vanda looked well in her 50's during the show. You might recall her walk was badly effected by her alcoholism too. I haven't watched it in a few years now- might be worthwhile again.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on sobriety. It feels great. I'm almost 2 years sober and this place helped me so much. I pop in from time to time and read/comment. I can never forget the place that also gave me my life back. If it wasn't for this forum I would be still drinking. The wisdom shared on this forum is gold and the daily helpers and moderators do a fantastic job.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
Congratulations on sobriety. It feels great. I'm almost 2 years sober and this place helped me so much. I pop in from time to time and read/comment. I can never forget the place that also gave me my life back. If it wasn't for this forum I would be still drinking. The wisdom shared on this forum is gold and the daily helpers and moderators do a fantastic job.
Thanks for posting and congratulations on your sobriety. I'm sure there are many others that can credit SR with getting them sober and keeping them that way.

I will never forget the people that supported me. I thank God this place exists because without it I don't know where I'd be.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 03-14-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to see you, Sunny. I'm so happy to know you are still sober & that you thought of us. I had a similar experience with SR - it gave me the courage & strength to let go of a poisonous lifestyle. You have your life back - congratulations.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Hevyn

I owe this place my life. I try and remember it because it's easy to take my new life for granted.

I remember reading stories of people on here years sober and feeling like that could never be me. So glad it is.

Take care,

Sunny xxxx