Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How open and vocal were you in the early stages of sobriety?

Notices

How open and vocal were you in the early stages of sobriety?

Old 03-06-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Yes, for career reasons I do not go into details. The words “recovery” and “alcoholic” are not said. I just say “I don’t drink anymore.” And when questioned, I say “it lost its appeal.”

Both of those statements are true. The rest is private.
My workplace is only now finding out about my bipolar, even though I was diagnosed a few years back. I chose to reveal this now for a variety of reasons, mostly after a boss became abusive and was causing triggers and our company chaplain thought it wise that upper management know.

We'll see how that pans out...
Old 03-07-2020, 10:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I didn't speak for several weeks in AA, but as I got started with the program, it became necessary for me to front up to the world and put right my many wrongs, if I wanted to recover that is. It is not a subject much talked about these days unless there is some possibility of helping someone with a problem.

I never brought it up in my work life. I feel there was no good reason for that and if I were to do so it would be somewhat self-seeking.