Notices

Dodged a bullet this evening

Old 03-04-2020, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dodged a bullet this evening

Thought I was pretty much staying home this evening. Wife needed some butter for a cookie recipe and I got volunteered to run to the nearest grocery store for some. No big deal. All the way there, old habits kept nagging at me: go to the grocery store next to the liquor store and grab a bottle of vodka and mix it with some seltzer. No one will know.

Well, I didn't. Went to the closer store and grabbed some salted cashews and walnuts (and the butter) and went home. I guess I was just hungry. Perhaps every time I feel a craving some on, I should eat a banana and a handful of cashews.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
Thought I was pretty much staying home this evening. Wife needed some butter for a cookie recipe and I got volunteered to run to the nearest grocery store for some. No big deal. All the way there, old habits kept nagging at me: go to the grocery store next to the liquor store and grab a bottle of vodka and mix it with some seltzer. No one will know.

Well, I didn't. Went to the closer store and grabbed some salted cashews and walnuts (and the butter) and went home. I guess I was just hungry. Perhaps every time I feel a craving some on, I should eat a banana and a handful of cashews.
how wonderful for you, Notch8! You made the right decision by choosing cashews over vodka. You need to be proud of yourself for sticking with sobriety. One day at a time, right? Stay strong and keep inspiring us.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good idea, the snack!
have you heard of HALT? hungry, angry, lonely, tired. to that, i’d add thirsty, for something like water, as in simply dehydrated.
anyway, those states can easily make you think of drinking, in order to feel better. when you stop to examine the “urge”, you can often find that it is about one of these much more basic real needs, and you can then take care of yourself.
just as you did today
Old 03-04-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cashews are a much better choice because they're good for you, whereas alcohol is not.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I;m glad you didn't cave Notch - and yeah eating can help dealing with cravings
Old 03-04-2020, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you, Notch. You would've been so disgusted with yourself. Not worth it.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Choosing cashews and eschewing alcohol is a pro play for sure!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Yes, I've heard of HALT and I've had my own variations of it over the years.

Last night was the best night of sleep I've had in a long time, even though it was only 5 hours (hence the reason I'm here on SR at 4:30am!)

Hoping to make today a good day. Got a list of both computer stuff to do as well as errands to run after work.

Day three was always the tipping point for me. Traditionally if I was gonna break, it was that day. But here we are....
Old 03-05-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really wish I knew the percentage of people who relapse....before eating something.

It’s why people have trouble between 5-7 it’s not just because it’s cocktail time, it’s also dinner time. If people ate dinner, would they drink a bunch of cocktails afterward?

And is the “planning to drink” stage in the afternoon driven partly by hunger?

I know it’s all downhill after the relapse begins, then it’s often drinking and sleeping at weird hours and no eating is happening.

But before? Have these people had something to eat?
Old 03-06-2020, 02:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I really wish I knew the percentage of people who relapse....before eating something.

It’s why people have trouble between 5-7 it’s not just because it’s cocktail time, it’s also dinner time. If people ate dinner, would they drink a bunch of cocktails afterward?
I had the same craving last night, but seen it coming and got me some comfort food.... Chinese takeout!

It certainly appears that I need a meal right around the 3pm time frame. Last snack is usually 1pm-ish and I don't normally have dinner until at least 5pm. I normally started drinking at the 4pm mark.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Notch!

Well done for not giving into those old habits!
I definitely think that we just crave snacks etc to replace the empty calories we were consuming before!
Hopefully having an earlier meal or healthily snacking will help get you out of the previous routines you had and the expectations in your mind of starting to drink at a certain time