Notices

what should I do now?

Old 02-29-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what should I do now?

Hi, I've been on this forum before under different usernames years ago....anyway,

A bit of background, I have a serious mental illness which is like bipolar with psychosis and medicated for it, which is quite effective at treating the symptoms. I'm also an alcoholic and recently had 5 weeks sober.
The reason I mention the mental illness is because after I drink alcohol my symptoms get a lot worse.

Just a few days ago I drank half a bottle of red wine and waited 2 days then another half bottle.

Luckily I'm not mentally ill from it but was really emotionally sensitive/feeling low last night.

I have people that come round to my house and check on me for my illness and I really don't want to tell them I had alcohol again.

Also hiding this from parents who I still live with.
Should I just keep quiet to avoid rows and work on staying sober from now on?

Also, it is quite scary that I can relapse regardless of the cost.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Honestly ?

Hi Steelchain.
Dox, here.
I am bipolar, but the last time I had a psychotic episode was more than 20 years ago when I stopped taking my medication. That was the last time i pulled that stunt.
Anyway . . . I wasn't able to deal effectively with my problems, including my alcoholism, until I started to get honest.
I'm not suggesting that you tell the truth about your drinking . . . because i don't really know you or the people in your life. All I know is that when i got honest with myself and others i could begin to work on the problem.
You mentioned working on getting sober and you probably should, but have you got any plans for that ?
Old 02-29-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back steelchain

Honestly I think you should do whatever you think gives you the best chance of not drinking again. For me that would mean confessing to my carers at least. They can;t help unless they have the whole story.

Parents? depends on how old you are - if you're not legally an adult I would advise you tell them. If you're adult, it depends on how much they're involved in your mental health decision making and caring for you process.

Would telling them help or hinder?

D
Old 02-29-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes, i think i will tell my carers but not my parents as im quite old and it would just end up with them shouting at me. As far as a plan for not drinking anymore, i will just talk to people whenever im feeling tempted and remember the reasons not to do it. Glad ive nipped this one in the bud
Old 02-29-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend making a recovery action plan:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)