Notices

A Promise to Myself

Old 02-27-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Promise to Myself

I will quit drinking by March 1st. The day before yesterday, I started a taper. I expected to drink 6 beers, and only ended up drinking 4. Of course, the devil on my shoulder said “This means you can drink!” So yesterday I resumed my regular drinking routine. Tonight I will buy 6 beers and hopefully only drink 4. Tomorrow I will drink only four or perhaps 2. The day after, 2 or zero. I’m posting here for the first time in an attempt to hold myself accountable. Hello, everyone!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find a lot of care and support for abstinence from alcohol here at Soberrecovery.com.

If you want there will be a time where you drink 0 for 1 day. And there will be Day 2 and 3. Those times take care of yourself physically and check in here as often you want. People are here to help and be helped.

This site's info, links, forums, and other members have helped me string together over 5 months of sobriety and clean time.

Good luck. You deserve to recover from the effects of alcohol on your mind and body.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello, seelybooth.
good to have you here.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR seelybooth

I couldn't taper like that - if I had 4 beers in the house I'd drink those 4 beers and probably go and get some more.

For that reason the best day for me to quit was always 'today'.

Don't be afraid to see your Dr if you feel really poorly - I hope it works for you.

D
Old 02-28-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support! Usually after work I buy a pint of whiskey and drink it quick, and on days off, go a bit more nuts. Tonight after work I bought a 6pk of beer, slowly drank each to make sure I wouldn't feel a buzz. I ended up only drinking 3 of them. Sleeping was a problem, I tossed and turned the first few hours. But after waking up, I'm feeling ok. No real physical symptoms and my anxiety seems to be in check. I think my plan is to come home tonight with 4 beers, see if I can manage only 2. Beer (or liquor) doesn't excite me when it comes to taste. And for me, if I'm not drinking to get drunk, I don't really see the point of it. So we'll see how it goes, so far so good.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Seelybooth. You can do this! Roll on the 1st of March. I found that reading and posting on SR helped when I stopped, there's a wealth of experience on SR, it's a great resource.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yesterday was a good day. I was in a good mood with more energy. I rarely thought I got hangovers, but maybe when one drinks daily, the hangover just feels “normal.” After work I bought 3 beers. Drank 2 and cracked open the 3rd. After a sip I decided against it, the progress of my taper was more important and I wasn’t having any major withdrawal symptoms. I might make today my Day 1. A Leap Day would be a cooler start date than March 1st. But I’ll see how I feel tonight and won’t get too hard on myself if that changes and I feel weird.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi seelybooth. I'm so glad you've decided to quit. Life will be so much better with a clear head & eyes wide open.

I definitely think you're on to something regarding hangovers. I got them long ago, but in the end I never did - probably because alcohol was never completely out of my system. So dangerous.

Thanks for letting us know of your progress - we're all here to support you.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you resisted Seely.

The less you drink today the easier March 1 will be.

D
Old 03-01-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hiya seely,
here you are, then
and how is the day going so far?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How is the taper progressing, seely? Not sure what time zone you're in. Stay focused and positive!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you, Seely as you begin your sober life.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Yesterday was in fact my official Day 1 with no alcohol. I couldn’t sleep worth a crap but feel great today with a couple of Monsters (caffeine!) in me. Tomorrow will probably be my biggest challenge as it’s my 1st day off work. Ya know what they say about idle hands being the Devil’s play thing. But fortunately (?) work called a last minute required meeting that will take a few hours which should help me combat against the boredom & day off binge routine I grew accustomed to.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day one Seely

D
Old 03-01-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to know you're on your way.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You won't regret this!!!!
Old 03-01-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful

Making February 29th your official first day of sobriety...I like it!

As far as "idle hands", find something to do during that idle time when you used to drink. With spring just around the corner (assuming you're in northern hemisphere) start taking daily walks. They help clear the mind more than you think. Idle time is part of the reason I started attending AA meetings when I first got sober. It kept me somewhat social and ate up a couple hours of my day. It turns out the steps of the program of AA ended up helping to save my life, but in the beginning just getting out of my comfort zone for a couple of hours a day helped me get past those difficult first days.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for the support. I'm 40 years old with a history of 20 years of heavy drinking. I did have some sober moments -- a year recently here, a few months there, etc. But most of the later half of my "career" has consisted of daily drinking. Baseline consumption around 8-10 drinks. Sometimes more, rarely less.

I recently had 9 months sober, but followed that up with 9 months of nightly boozing, which brings me to today (Day 2 sober). I don't like the label alcoholic, but I certainly can't deny my addictive behavior and that once I get drunk, the next evening I'll think "nothing bad happened, let's do it again!" And again, and again. Until I feel mentally and physically worn down. Functional in that I don't miss work or drive drunk and get into wrecks or stuff like that (in fact I doubt anyone around me is aware of my problem)... But spiritually low, like I'm hiding from my potential as a human being.

As of now, I feel like good fortune has helped me bounce back. I don't seem to have any major withdrawal symptoms as of now. The 9 months of sober time (healing) before this I'm sure helped too.

I'd often view this forum anonymously to look for hope or guidance or stories that could help me get it together. So maybe someone in a similar boat will one day read this and feel inspired to take the next step. I also wrote this, again, as a self-reminder for down the line, and also for the encouragement this community was nice enough to lend me!
Old 03-01-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Seelybooth, we are only a few days apart on our quit dates. I must admit your quit date is pretty cool. Now you can't mess it up
Old 03-02-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

way to go on day two, seely.
as far as idle hands and boredom...it is entirely possible to get those hands doing things. writing. knitting. carving. chopping. fixing. phoning.
that kind of thing.