Notices

A Promise to Myself

Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Seely,

I hope your day is going well 🤞 distraction is definitely key! Is there anything you used to do that you stopped or anything youd be interested in?? I attended my first online meeting with SMART yesterday which was pretty good and they also have one tonight - Also considering AA meetings.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steph1h2 View Post
Hi Seely,

I hope your day is going well 🤞 distraction is definitely key! Is there anything you used to do that you stopped or anything youd be interested in?? I attended my first online meeting with SMART yesterday which was pretty good and they also have one tonight - Also considering AA meetings.
I'm a bit hesitant to follow my normal passions, such as movies and video games, since I got so used to doing those while drinking. At least for a bit, I'm intentionally avoiding things that went hand in hand. So my day off today, I'm focusing on cleaning my apartment (plenty to do there, lol). And I've never really read books while drunk, so I might start a novel later. Weather is getting good here again, so someone else's suggestion of long walks is a good one too.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sad to report I messed up after 5 completely sober days. I need a better plan on my days off work. I’m gonna try to not beat myself up too much over it — 5 days IS progress and proof I can do it. I don’t think I need a taper, just gonna try to go without today.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seelybooth View Post
Sad to report I messed up after 5 completely sober days. I need a better plan on my days off work. I’m gonna try to not beat myself up too much over it — 5 days IS progress and proof I can do it. I don’t think I need a taper, just gonna try to go without today.
Hi Seelybooth,
Today is my Day 5 and going strong! One of the reasons I am able to get through my days is posting, replying and reading on SR.
Getting familiar with some of the people’s stories, receiving words of encouragement, empathy, and support are helping me tremendously. This is exactly why I am writing this to you in case you could use a kind word from someone who understands.
Don’t beat yourself up! You can make today your Day 1 and start fresh. You can do it! Be proud of your progress and don’t let relapse bother you. Moving forward with a better plan is the key!
NO DRINK=NO REGRETS
Wishing you all the best!
Old 03-08-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I did not think anyone else could tell I had a problem. Now after 10 months sober I know that was not true. good luck with your quit. I sincerly wish you the best of luck. I did a similar taper while I was sitting at home laid off. I quit while I was sitting at home laid off with tons of time on my hand so it can be done.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for the support. I'm 40 years old with a history of 20 years of heavy drinking. I did have some sober moments -- a year recently here, a few months there, etc. But most of the later half of my "career" has consisted of daily drinking. Baseline consumption around 8-10 drinks. Sometimes more, rarely less.

I recently had 9 months sober, but followed that up with 9 months of nightly boozing, which brings me to today (Day 2 sober). I don't like the label alcoholic, but I certainly can't deny my addictive behavior and that once I get drunk, the next evening I'll think "nothing bad happened, let's do it again!" And again, and again. Until I feel mentally and physically worn down. Functional in that I don't miss work or drive drunk and get into wrecks or stuff like that (in fact I doubt anyone around me is aware of my problem)... But spiritually low, like I'm hiding from my potential as a human being.

As of now, I feel like good fortune has helped me bounce back. I don't seem to have any major withdrawal symptoms as of now. The 9 months of sober time (healing) before this I'm sure helped too.

I'd often view this forum anonymously to look for hope or guidance or stories that could help me get it together. So maybe someone in a similar boat will one day read this and feel inspired to take the next step. I also wrote this, again, as a self-reminder for down the line, and also for the encouragement this community was nice enough to lend me!
Originally Posted by Steph1h2 View Post
Hi Seely,

I could never keep myself occupied enough to get and stay sober.

It’s a nice thought, but I had/have to have a plan of recovery for me to scrupulously follow.

For me, that plan has been AA.

I conform my behavior to its 12 Steps on a daily basis.

I suggest you adopt and rigorously follow a plan of recovery.

Welcome back.

Keep us apprised as to your progress.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, no need to beat yourself up over it but there are lessons to learn I think?

I tried to fill my days with activities - and while that worked to a certain extent, there would always be a day when I either had nothing to do or I convinced myself I needed a reward...a drink after several days hard work always sounded very reasonable to me, at the time....

maybe I'd changed - maybe my relationship with alcohol had changed?...but it never did.

Supports and connection very important - either on a place like SR or meeting based things like AA or SMART - but we have to be prepared to reach out to that support before we drink....knowing it means foregoing that drink ..

Its hard to do but it gets easier

D