Notices

Milk Thistle?

Old 11-30-2004, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milk Thistle?

I was just wondering if any of you have tried or known of anyone who has used Milk Thistle for liver function. I'm only 26 but I am worried that I am slowly killing myself with alcohol and even though I am taking measures to stop drinking, I would like to start to take supplements.

I have heard that it is a good natural herb that helps the liver but, I'm not sure how well it works. If any of you have any information, I would greatly appreciate it ~
Old 11-30-2004, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI Melanie! I don't know about milk thistle...but, I would recommend just going to the dr and get some simple blood work done, and they can tell you how your liver is right away. Then you don't have to sit and speculate and worry about your liver - you'll know. You know you will destroy it if you keep drinking, and all the milk thistle in the world wont help that. But, I hate to think of you sitting and worrying - so just find out. I'm sure you're fine, but then you'll know!
Old 11-30-2004, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Melanie-

Yes, milk thistle works... You can pick it up at any pharmacy in the vitamin section.

Very popular supplemnt amongst bodybuilders who damange their livers by taking steroids..

However, do get your liver checked out by the doctor as well.....

TG28, an alkie.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks for the quick replies. I hope my liver is ok......I have severe anxiety problems and I've basically been drinking to 'self-medicate' for 6 years. A lot of times I get so drunk I don't even remember things the next day. I need help and I know it. I just want to start taking something now that may help. I'm not saying it's a substitute, I just don't think it would hurt.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Melanie.. You can't drink and take milk thistle at the same time, it doesn't make much sense... Have you been to AA ?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Melanie, I drank to self medicate for 6 yrs.

You say you are taking measures to stop drinking . You are not going to be able to stop drinking until you say that you've had enough and are going to stop.

I don't know if supplements would work at all if you are still drinking. I know that prescription meds don't work with alcohol.

I managed to stop with AA. If AA isn't your thing, there are many support systems out there... check them out.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
new life

Hello Melanie,The liver still has to defuse the alcohol no matter what else is taken.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

From what I've read, and heard from other alcoholics with liver problems, nothing will start helping the liver fix itself as long as it has to process alcohol.
The good news is that the earlier you stop drinking, the easier it is for the liver to recover.
Best option:
See your physician.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

start getting plenty of sleep,and eat regularly and
go to a meeting

when drinking,we never take care of ourselves.
See a doctor if need be

but a main thing is "put the stopper in the jug"
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know if milk thistle is good for the liver but I can tell you that booze doesn't help the liver any.