Notices

75 Days today.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

75 Days today.

Three quarters of the way to my first 100 and already 12 more than my previous best (63 days end of 2018). I think – by reading SR for a couple of years – that I’ve actually had it easy compared to some other members’, and I’m thankful for it. I’ve gone it “cold-turkey” each time, and that after a bottle of scotch a day for years. Not that it was all smooth sailing so far; I’ve had a few ups and downs, as those who have read my previous post will know.
I do believe that the difference this time around, is/was that I had a mind-shift. Something inside me just said - “that is it, no more”. I stopped and I stayed stopped. My circumstances had a lot to do with the “staying-stopped”, of course. The environment I live in (dad and stepmom are also alcoholics), my finances, etc. Mostly, I think, is the fact that I know there are not too many chances left for me. I am going to die if I carry on the way I have for the last six years; for the last almost forty years really, if one included the thirteen booze-free years before the last soaked six.
I’m not saying I will never drink again – it is way too early for that, I know. For now, though, I’m fast heading towards three months sober, and then a hundred days, which is – to me – a lot to be thankful for.
And today, at least, I will not drink…
Old 02-24-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 75 days RB! Thanks for sharing as well, stories like yours are inspiring for all to read.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

That is awesome! You are correct, that is A LOT to be thankful for!
Old 02-25-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! So great. Keep going! I found big shifts forward in lots of ways around 100 days. Best to you- glad you are here with us.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How's it going RB?
Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
I do believe that the difference this time around, is/was that I had a mind-shift. Something inside me just said - “that is it, no more”. I stopped and I stayed stopped.
75 days, that is awesome!!! I can so relate to the mind-shift thing. I couldn't explain it when it occurred for me, but I knew something was different this time around...and next month that will be 17 years ago. Keep moving forward. You can do this!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

75 days - how wonderful. You are doing this thing called sobriety. I agree with your thoughts of, 'that's it, no more'. I was so tired of humiliating myself & having to clean up my messes.
nez - 17 yrs. next month - so inspiring.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
How's it going RB?
Hi, Hawk and everyone else. Funny, you asking, Hawk. Today – one day after my post - I actually woke up with a headache. And at around elevenish I really felt lightheaded, exactly the way I used to feel after a few drinks and well on my way to being drunk. I don’t know what it was, but it was there, definitely not my imagination. The only difference is – this time I didn’t like it (the drunk feeling). Not at all. Except for that, everything is fine, thanks. Early days, yet…
17 years sober is a tremendous achievement, Nez. You really have reason to be proud. At this stage I’m not even thinking about 17 months, yet.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, I've had those "flashback" moments too. I wonder if it is a kind of detox where the body is doing some housekeeping now that we aren't pouring toxic crap in it daily any longer.

You know I drink quite a bit of honeybush tea--especially in the evening.

It comes from South Africa so I expect you know all about it but very rare around here.
It is like rooibos but has a slightly different (and I think better) taste. It does smell honey-like to me and I make a kind of chai out of it with Allspice, cardamon, ginger and nutmeg. I add some warm milk / heavy cream, and if I'm feeling reckless a little honey to taste.

Maybe try that as a special nightcap for yourself
Old 02-26-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Yep, I've had those "flashback" moments too. I wonder if it is a kind of detox where the body is doing some housekeeping now that we aren't pouring toxic crap in it daily any longer.

You know I drink quite a bit of honeybush tea--especially in the evening.

It comes from South Africa so I expect you know all about it but very rare around here.
It is like rooibos but has a slightly different (and I think better) taste. It does smell honey-like to me and I make a kind of chai out of it with Allspice, cardamon, ginger and nutmeg. I add some warm milk / heavy cream, and if I'm feeling reckless a little honey to taste.

Maybe try that as a special nightcap for yourself
Hi, Hawk. Just a little tidbit; Honeybush is quite common down here in South Africa. It costs around R1 a (tea) bag. Less than 10 cents US, or 5 cents?? 2p in the UK. Not sure of the UK's money equivalents, excepting Pounds and Shillings...
https://www.wellnesswarehouse.com/bi...SABEgJmW_D_BwE
Old 02-26-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I pay about 10 US Dollars a pound but it is very soothing and caffeine free. I make herbal tea blends for fun and to have options since giving up booze.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful

Congrats on 75 days Rockbottom! (maybe 79 now?)

KEEP GOING!!!
Old 02-28-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

Way to go, RockBottom!