Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Enneagram or Myers Briggs; useful in your sobriety?

Notices

Enneagram or Myers Briggs; useful in your sobriety?

Old 02-27-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I agree Aellyce2. I like the Myers Briggs because it tests for "preferences" in how we approach things and acknowledges that these preferences can change. My "Thinking" function changed to preference for "Feeling" because of my profession. I'd be curious if your T has moved more towards J given the work you do.

I also find great joy in my dealings with other INFJ's . At one point I had most of my friends take the test and found nearly half of them were INFJ's. Somehow we seem to attract each other . Very strange given the rarity of the type. Birds of a feather I guess.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I'd be curious if your T has moved more towards J given the work you do.
You mean T to F, or P to J? The latter definitely. When I took the MBTI for the first couple times a long time ago, I came out as an INTP. Later in my life INTJ, and the way I relate to the descriptions of these two are pretty accurate as well. I think I just don't have a strong P vs J preference, but my career definitely facilitated moving toward the J dimension, and I also actively wanted to.

The T/F dimension - the actual work I do is much more a T-type... it is not so much on the helping side of mental health but research, treatment development, education, strategizing, consulting about these. Highly technical. But I have been actively working on my social and empathic skills since I got sober a few years ago, and I find it both beneficial and enjoyable. I am also considering my own feelings in most decisions much more than when I was young and, combined with the rationality I have by default, definitely find it leads to better and more satisfying choices.

What is your professional area, if you would like to share of course?

Many people I tend to be very compatible professionally with are INTs, or at least NTs. And some of my best friends INFs. MBTI enthusiasts sometimes say they S vs N dimension is probably the most important when it comes to interpersonal compatibility, because they represent how we relate to the world and process information. A bit like speaking similar languages, or not. I kinda agree with that.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Yes you are correct. My mistake. I meant from T to F. I also assumed you were on the practice side of the mental health profession. Being on the research side I can see why that would tend to reinforce the T.

I generally don't like to disclose it here but I'm on the practice side of mental health. I was a weak T now a weak F (I prefer to think of myself as having lots of the positives from both preferences )

Being in mental health, you might appreciate two things. Regarding the letter from Jung to Bill Wilson (link above), Jung states that the third path to higher understanding is "a higher education of the mind beyond the confines of mere rationality". I was always puzzled by this until I read "The Sentiment of Rationality" by William James. Full text of "The Sentiment of Rationality"

Another thing I have always liked by him was "The Varieties of Religious Experience". Jung came to America twice in the early 1900's and attended a couple of conferences with William James. I can't imagine that they did not talk about some of these things. I liked what Jung said about James ..."I was tremendously impressed by the clearness of his mind and the complete absence of intellectual prejudices".

Very interesting their shared interest in things spiritual, and the subsequent influence of both on AA.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Scaredikklegoth and everyone interested, I've just come across this page that I like:
https://personalityjunkie.com/02/enn...ntj-infj-infp/

For me, one of the traits I like about myself a lot is my effortless Realism. This undying motivation to see and experience everything as it really is... no matter how ugly, dangerous, outside of the norm. It has helped me break the denial over my addiction also at an early stage. It is easy to see though that the same trait can also be the bane of my existence... along with this darn preference for thinking over acting. For me, if I had to define one thing everyone suggests in recovery and I still struggle with, it is the too much thinking and (proportionally) too little action to realize my otherwise very realistic ideas. It is so much easier to escape.