Notices

Listerine

Old 02-03-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Listerine

So I'm broke and out of booze and spent most of my pay on liters of vodka, so the wife won't let me get anymore. But I did buy a bottle of yellow Listerine for future use, yet does it really get you drunk or does it just get you really sick ? Would be nice to get some first hand experiences. Thanks folks!
Old 02-03-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bearclaw2132 View Post
So I'm broke and out of booze and spent most of my pay on liters of vodka, so the wife won't let me get anymore. But I did buy a bottle of yellow Listerine for future use, yet does it really get you drunk or does it just get you really sick ? Would be nice to get some first hand experiences. Thanks folks!
this question is a bit disturbing. I think the answer is to listen to your wife. You have a serious problem (as does everyone on this site). Dump the listerine. Start to heal.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

this question is a bit disturbing. I think the answer is to listen to your wife. You have a serious problem (as does everyone on this site). Dump the listerine. Start to heal.
Stephen King used to do it and he is still alive is it really that bad compared to what a lot of addicts would do for a fix ? My wife does not drink but when I sneak a drink she seems to find me a lot more interesting.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. Stephen King used to do it? Then forget everything I said.

He’s sober now.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And you’re not wanting to drink listerine bc your wife finds you more interesting. You want to drink Listerine because you’re an alcoholic.

This is a recovery website. Not the place to get drinking listerine tips. But if you are trying to quit, we are here for you.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BearClaw

This is a recovery website so we're not about discussing what gets you drunk.

Drinking mouthwash is usually one of the bottom rung on the downward ladder of alcoholism.

Its a dangerous thing to do.

https://www.reference.com/world-view...96015bdac55239

Stephen King used to do it and he is still alive
He also took tons of coke and got hit by a car.

Seriously, people die from drinking mouthwash.
Don't do it.

I really hope you'll decide to use the support here to quit booze for good

D
Old 02-03-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah thanks guys poured it out not gonna risk it. Thanks for talking some sense into me before making a potentially lethal mistake. I guess we tell ourselves all kind of things that are not true in that cloudy mindset. I'm gonna try Al‑Anon or something.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad BearClaw.

AA Is probably worth a shot

D
Old 02-03-2020, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad BearClaw.

AA Is probably worth a shot

D
I naturally got anxiety which drove me to drink originally, so kind of fear of being judged how can you overcome this in your experience ?
Old 02-04-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never did AA - but it saved a lot of my friends lives.

I know that most groups will go out of their way to make a newcomer feel welcome

I was ready to quit and to change my life entirely to stay quit.
When I wanted to drink I came here instead and I stayed sober.

I made great use of this website.

You sounds pretty deperate but if posting here is all you can see yourself doing right now, that's ok - throw yourself into this community and post as much as you need/want to

if you do that and find yourself still drinking....then you might have to look at doing some slightly more uncomfortable things like AA or rehab?

D
Old 02-04-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never did AA - but it saved a lot of my friends lives.

I know that most groups will go out of their way to make a newcomer feel welcome

I was ready to quit and to change my life entirely to stay quit.
When I wanted to drink I came here instead and I stayed sober.

I made great use of this website.

You sounds pretty deperate but if posting here is all you can see yourself doing right now, that's ok - throw yourself into this community and post as much as you need/want to

if you do that and find yourself still drinking....then you might have to look at doing some slightly more uncomfortable things like AA or rehab?

D
Thanks I've been to rehab 4 times and was fruitless, I found myself super boring sober and all my friends encouraged me to drink cause it made me more social and laugh louder. I hate the thought of AA being judged by a bunch of people who provably never seen the severity and are mostly lucky court ordered to be there, I've been before dunno its not for everyone as I understand.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you found yourself boring sober when you've quit in the past, what are you going to do this time BC?

For me, I had to lose those friends who found me boring. sitting around drinking was boring - those guys have no idea.

I genuinely love my life now - I have loads of friends and go out as much as I want - I'm happy and productive.

I could never say that as a drinker.

I tried to live my old live sober and it didn't work because my old life was all about drinking.

I had to change.

I think when you're seriously thinking about chugging Listerine, it might be time for you to change too, Bearclaw?

D
Old 02-04-2020, 02:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you found yourself boring sober when you've quit in the past, what are you going to do this time BC?

For me, I had to lose those friends who found me boring. sitting around drinking was boring - those guys have no idea.

I genuinely love my life now - I have loads of friends and go out as much as I want - I'm happy and productive.

I could never say that as a drinker.

I tried to live my old live sober and it didn't work because my old life was all about drinking.

I had to change.

I think when you're seriously thinking about chugging Listerine, it might be time for you to change too, Bearclaw?

D
I quit but relapse is a part of recovery I was taught in treatment. And when you are too boring to attract people in other situations you bound with the outcasts you are most familiar with.

My sober friends never ask me about my day or anything they could careless tbh they don't see alcohol as a problem cause it never effected them personally, but the chronic alcoholics I could bound with and find familiarity

Not trying to justify my actions but sober is pretty damn lame when noting is going for oneself.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

relapse is a part of recovery
If thats what they taught you there they didn't do you a good turn, man.
Relapse is a part of my addiction, not a part of my recovery.

I convinced myself that sobriety was lame too but I really wasn't living sober, i was just between drinks.

By the end my drinking nearly killed me and I had to make a choice - drink and die or get sober and live.

I hope you can make a decision before you get to that point.

You spent most of your pay on vodka and you were considering drinking Listerine man - which you bought specifically for drinking - doesn't that shock you on some level at the seriousness of that?

D
Old 02-04-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If thats what they taught you there they didn't do you a good turn, man.
Relapse is a part of my addiction, not a part of my recovery.

I convinced myself that sobriety was lame too but I really wasn't living sober, i was just between drinks.

By the end my drinking nearly killed me and I had to make a choice - drink and die or get sober and live.

I hope you can make a decision before you get to that point.

You spent most of your pay on vodka and you were considering drinking Listerine man - which you bought specifically for drinking - doesn't that shock you on some level at the seriousness of that?

D
My counselor in treatment said only 2 out of 10 people manage sobriety after rehab, so the odds are not in ones favor. Cause once your out in the real world there are no more barriers they're not gonna close every liquor store cause I quit

Sober life is super boring like I said my sober friends are unemphatic and cold , they never grasp drinking as an escape from an disorder like anxiety. They just see it as a good time they do in moderation.

Yet my drunk pals are all about asking me about my life and while it mite be influenced by intoxication it still feels a lot more satisfying than the disinterest of people trying to live up to a status quo.

I'm only 24 so drinking is a huge part of interaction and socially acceptable to most.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My wife does not drink but when I sneak a drink she seems to find me a lot more interesting.

Did she tell you this?

Or is that just you perception after you've been drinking?

There is a big difference in the answers to those two questions.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bearclaw.
I understand very well the reluctance to let go of it at a young age. At 24 I couldn't imagine my life without alcohol - it was part of everything I did. How could anything ever be fun or interesting again if alcohol wasn't involved? Fast forward many years, and I found myself drinking all day-with a ruined life. All my attempts to control my drinking had failed. I would shake & be sick if I didn't have it in my system. I got dui's, embarrassed myself at work - lost the respect & trust of my family, ruined my health & ran through all my money. If we could control it, we would - but we alcoholics can't. For me, one drink always led to getting drunk & stupid. I'm really glad you came here to talk about what's going on. I hope you'll stay with us & make a change in your life.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hate to hear all of this.

My blunt thoughts:
AA is more important than Al Anon for you
Relapse might be but does not have to be a part of recovery
You get to choose whether you drink or not- and only you.
Not all rehabs are good

AA and other recovery groups are about the opposite of being judged. And yet they have people in them who judge- bc that's what we do, even we don't know it. And we HAVE to quit drinking in order to handle our lives sober- and stop doing things like judge.

Ya gotta stop drinking. Listerine and other personal hygiene products like perfume that contain alcohol are banned in most treatment centers for exactly the reason you describe. Some of us get desperate enough to go to any lengths to get high.

Hope you decide to choose a different life. You can. You also don't get infinite chances- no matter how young you are.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Bearclaw2132 View Post
I hate the thought of AA being judged by a bunch of people who provably never seen the severity and are mostly lucky court ordered to be there
I was severe enough that the judgements of anyone were of no importance to me because I was desperate. Especially those court ordered people, their judgements couldn't begin to do anywhere near the damage to me that I had done to myself, so I wasn't afraid of their judgements. I was ready to be free!

I found lots of people in AA who were truly free. Because they were no longer slaves, they were willing to help me to find the freedom they held so dear. They had no judgements, only gratitude for the opportunity to help another lost soul suffering from alcoholism. Power in numbers!
Old 02-04-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The fear of judgement is the number one reason why I waited so long to go to the doctor after almost a solid year of being sick. Shakes, nausea, severe numbness in my entire midsection...I didn't go to the doctor because I wasn't ready to admit I had a problem and I wasn't ready to be judged by everyone trying to help me. I was ashamed because I had let alcohol rule my life and almost kill me. My pride was too great but it almost cost me my life. Turns out, I was not judged (they were actually proud of me) and my family supported me. I was able to take my life back after being positive I would just die. It's hard but it's worth it.