Notices

Honestly.. do the shakes ever stop?

Old 02-01-2020, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honestly.. do the shakes ever stop?

Good morning all,

im on day 8 and feeling a little better than I did earlier. The itching is calming down and the pain is too. However this morning as I was putting on my make up I realised how much my hands were shaking! I don’t crave a drink, I’m almost certain this is due to damaging my nerves but I just couldn’t hold them steady!
i booked myself a nail appointment for 2 weeks time in an attempt to try and look after myself a bit more. But now I’m wondering if I should cancel it. Feeling quite ashamed that I can’t hold my hands steady in front of me.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. Without alcohol you will be the best you can possibly be. One thing to remember is that we are all aging so perhaps some of the problems are related to our ever increasing age. My dad was never a drinker but as he aged his hands got pretty shaky. It happened some time in his 50s but it can happen even earlier too. I would guess the nail ladies have worked with people who have shaky hands before. Wish you the best.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It went away for me in less than a month, but everyone is different.
Now my hands are steady as a rock.
Stay sober, eat whole healthy food, stay hydrated and get sleep and you might be amazed at how fast your body rallies
Old 02-01-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Yes, what Hawkeye13 said!! It does go away with time and everyone is different. And drink lots of water, i love decaff green tea give that a shot, its got a calming effect, i drink 2 to 3 cups of hot green tea every day... Keep on keeping on ~
Old 02-01-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like others said, it does go away. I found it took some amount of time, I don't recall if a month or more, and did pop up from time to time. I honestly have a hard time writing legibly sometimes, still.

Like with the rest of it, I had to stay sober, keep going, and take care of myself. Keep going!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I posted here at about 2 weeks sober to ask about a persistent tremor/shaky hands. I was worried this meant something was wrong, more than just acute withdrawal.
About a week later, tremor stopped. Now at a month, I infrequently get a short-lasting slight shakiness, usually after too much coffee, but that’s it. We are all different, but 8 days is so early! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everyone reacts differently to alcohol/ alcohol withdrawal. Maybe have a chat with your Doc?
Old 02-05-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How's it going today?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m approaching a year at the end of this month of sobriety. It took over 2 weeks for my tremors to stop, but it goes away. I used to think my tremors was due to stress and anxiety from work and life, but it was from my drinking. I would drink to calm down, but all I was doing was pouring gasoline on a fire. I eat healthy, exercise and drink lots of water now and the stresses from work and life are always there, but I can handle it. My anxiety has disappeared and my hands are calm and steady like a surgeons. Drinking is poison and at 53 I look forward to living the second half of my life without alcohol. Already the rewards after a year have been amazing. So yes, the shaking will stop...take it one day at a time and live in the moment.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mine went away pretty quick, my hands were shaky the first day... then after that only became shaky if I rested my arm a certain way and that lasted maybe a few days. So it was within the first week for me that my hands shaking completely went away.

If your hands continue to shake, then see your doctor. A friend of mine had shaky hands, I can't remember what it was but something minor.. he had minor surgery to correct something and that took care of it.