Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Were we addicted to alcohol earlier than we thought?

Notices

Were we addicted to alcohol earlier than we thought?

Old 01-29-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I personally started drinking at 17 (30 years ago, crumbs where does the time go) but was a very moderate and sensible drinker initially (by the standards of Irish youth in the early 1990s, lol). I can't say precisely when I slipped into alcoholism. I crossed the invisible line at some point though.

But yes Saoutchik, I agree that Britain and Ireland normalise alcohol use and abuse to an extent that would not be considered acceptable in other countries.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Saou, I was socially conditioned as a young child/teenager, by my parents and their friends. My father returned home every night after a 'stressful' day at work, to a glass of whiskey. My mother returned home after a 'stressful' day, to a glass of wine. They both held frequent dinner parties at home, lots of alcohol and laughter, us children awoken from bedrooms and sat at the top pf the stairs, listening to the 'happy, excited' voices.

It was conditioning, for sure. Work hard at day....drink at night. Then grew up, had a stressful job as an adult.....and lo and behold, I walked through the home door at the end of the working day, opened the bottle of wine; which escalated.

It's a drug. Same as heroin. It shouldn't be normalised in the media, as it has been for so many decades, a century?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Interesting that a good number of you on here considered yourselves alcoholic or having a drink problem from an early age. My guess would be that in a lot of instances that would be the result of psychological addiction rather than chemical addiction (just because a chemical condition usually takes time). Education would seem to be the most obvious counter but it has to be done well. My schooldays ended in the 1970s but what limited education we did have about smoking, drinking and illegal drugs I remember as being unbelievably crass and therefore easy to dismiss.

It has just occurred to me that alcohol advertising is a form of social conditioning that makes alcohol consumption seem as natural as drinking tea or coffee. There does need to be a counter narrative to it without resorting to Prohibition style crackdowns.
I was binging on alcohol from early on: teens and up, was also an early sugar addict: hoarding and binging on sugar from an early age. Could be dopamine deficiency or an overactive reward system in the brain, my dad had it too. But I do not believe it’s psychological. I’ve seen others like me and the difference between me + these others, and everyone else, is striking. I’m not saying everyone is a genetic alcoholic, I’m saying I am.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Saou, I was socially conditioned as a young child/teenager, by my parents and their friends. My father returned home every night after a 'stressful' day at work, to a glass of whiskey. My mother returned home after a 'stressful' day, to a glass of wine. They both held frequent dinner parties at home, lots of alcohol and laughter, us children awoken from bedrooms and sat at the top pf the stairs, listening to the 'happy, excited' voices.

It was conditioning, for sure. Work hard at day....drink at night. Then grew up, had a stressful job as an adult.....and lo and behold, I walked through the home door at the end of the working day, opened the bottle of wine; which escalated.

It's a drug. Same as heroin. It shouldn't be normalised in the media, as it has been for so many decades, a century?
That's one of the biggest concerns I have with how my drinking impacted my daughter. She was 6 (I guess 3) when I started abusing alcohol. Everything fun we did involved alchohol. Take the kids camping, drink; rent a hotel room and use the pool, drink. My one drinking friend and I would get together so the kids could play and we'd sit and drink.

She was 16 when I got out and I know she realize how dangerous this is now. Even though, it would probably feel familiar to her.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I was binging on alcohol from early on: teens and up, was also an early sugar addict: hoarding and binging on sugar from an early age. Could be dopamine deficiency or an overactive reward system in the brain, my dad had it too. But I do not believe it’s psychological. I’ve seen others like me and the difference between me + these others, and everyone else, is striking. I’m not saying everyone is a genetic alcoholic, I’m saying I am.
My drug of choice since my early teens was running. Now its sugar.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
My drug of choice since my early teens was running. Now its sugar.
I’m working on my sugar addiction. I’ve had a good run for a week. Can actually feel myself stabilizing mentally, it’s a trip how much sugar affects us,
Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I take your point about it not being psychological. I probably should have said part psychological and part chemical. For example gambling addiction clearly does not involve the consumption of any substances and therefore can be said to be purely psychological but as I understand it some of the processes that the brains of gamblers go through are similar to drug and alcohol users so even a gambling addiction has a chemical component.

My point really was that a lot of consumption amongst younger people can be said to have a psychological component to it - reinforcing friendships, meeting potential mates, (short term or long term) the fear of missing out, all those kind of things.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For sure. And when we quit....we fight against the drinking culture again, wine moms, whiskey tasting, beer Sunday’s, happy hour, it’s everywhere and sobriety can be isolating.

It’s really a much bigger task, quitting drinking is, than we realize sometimes.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Looking back I'm pretty sure I was addicted from my first drink. I remember it vividly actually - sharing a water bottle of various booze shots stolen from someones parent's liquor cabinet mixed with OJ. I remember the warm buzz and how good it felt - I was probably 13/14 years old maybe? I chased that for decades - literally.
This is pretty much me. I was 15 at the time. I can remember how good it felt to "relax". This was always my reason for drinking - at least initially. I was young (underage for quite a while - shortly after I turned 18, they raised the drinking age to 21!!), with not a lot of money so it took years before I could really start drinking regularly. I don't remember experiencing any withdrawals until I was maybe 32 or 33.

I really can't say if my initial warm experiences with alcohol were psychological or physical or some combination of the two. I don't think it really matters - the solution is the same

Great topic. Thanks Sao.