SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   O Well? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/445261-o-well.html)

Obladi 01-24-2020 10:14 AM

O Well?

I'm really afraid I'm going to be shut down here.

Fusion 01-24-2020 10:22 AM

No O, it was just a badly timed appliance of the 500 posts rule. You have a voice here, as long as you try to stop drinking, as I'm sure Dee will second.

ScottFromWI 01-24-2020 10:24 AM

Yes - no worries at all O, just the 500 post limit we use for re-setting all threads.

Fusion 01-24-2020 10:31 AM

Thanks Scott for confirming. Speak to us O, what happened on Friday?

2ndhandrose 01-24-2020 10:53 AM

I am so glad to see you start a new thread, O.

You have so much support here :grouphug:

rose xo

Hawkeye13 01-24-2020 11:04 AM

Time to spill girl

So glad you are back, by the way. . .

Obladi 01-24-2020 12:23 PM

I don't know. But I don't want you guys to worry.

Cosima11 01-24-2020 12:34 PM

The only thing I’d say from an AVRT perspective.. even on days, weeks or months I don’t see or hear a single peep from my AV.. I know it’s still there, waiting patiently. I know some people don’t like that concept, but this addiction is for life.

For me AVRT has been more about crisis management and learning to identify potential sneak attacks. I think I unknowingly made a big plan but it didn’t intentionally have anything to do with AVRT.

Maybe you can’t answer now but what thoughts and/or feelings were you having right before relapse? Is there any sort of pattern there?

aasharon90 01-24-2020 12:35 PM

We are here to support you and guide you along
in your journey to achieve all that is good and healthy
for you and others in recovery.

You dont have to carry whatever burden you are
carrying on your shoulders alone. What ever it is,
we will be able to share our own experiences, wisdom,
and hopes with you to help you work thru it, lighten
it and eventually let it go.

Be honest with yourself and with others and
ask for help. We are here for you if you'd accept
our help.

Care and support sent your way.

Cow 01-24-2020 01:30 PM

Hey girl, are you currently off the wagon, on the wagon, or is the wagon dragging you behind it? :)

There are lots of chronic relapsers here, me included, so hope you are not staying away due to shame.

Obladi 01-24-2020 01:49 PM

Shame it is, gurl

Cow 01-24-2020 02:07 PM

Well that pains me ...but not too much, cuz I am trying to be Stoic and all. :)

I understand it. But, in a way, your shame is a lack of confidence is us chuckleheads. Cuz we got your back, want only the best for you, and I don't think there is a lot of judgement going on. I think you can nestle in the bosom of SR if you are confused or hurting. I'm not pressing you to talk about it right this minute, whatever it is, but we are genuinely here to listen and support.

PS. I have always hated that word: bosom.

Hawkeye13 01-24-2020 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cow (Post 7366969)
Well that pains me ...but not too much, cuz I am trying to be Stoic and all. :)

I understand it. But, in a way, your shame is a lack of confidence is us chuckleheads. Cuz we got your back, want only the best for you, and I don't think there is a lot of judgement going on. I think you can nestle in the bosom of SR if you are confused or hurting. I'm not pressing you to talk about it right this minute, whatever it is, but we are genuinely here to listen and support.

PS. I have always hated that word: bosom.

This

aasharon90 01-24-2020 02:47 PM

Talk about your shame O.... why do you feel shame?

We all have done things in our lives we feel or
felt ashamed of. So you are not alone.

We work thru those feelings and become stronger
from them. Shame doesn't have to define us.

I'm not familiar with your story, so when you
have time to share with us a little more of whats
going on with you and your situation then you
may well be surprised that we will understand.

Then we can give you some great sounding suggestions
to guide you into correcting whatever is going on with
you and then you can apply it, learn from it, grow from
it and avoid repeating it down the road.

Hope this helps.

Gal220 01-24-2020 03:49 PM

You said in a previous post:
"To do either of these things [referring to AVRT and AA]
You need baseline mental health
Or nerves of steel"

This is something that I have currently been battling myself. But this is just not true. This would be like saying, "I'm overweight, diabetic, and have heart disease, so I'm too physically ill to exercise and eat better. Let me have some fast food and watch some Netflix and wait until I feel better to get started."

We work towards our sobriety and mental health because we are ill and because it is the only way to become sober and mentally well. There is no other way to get there; there is no baseline of mental health. We have to do the hard work even when we don't want to, even when we don't feel like it, even when we are tired, even when we are uncomfortable. There's just no other way to do it. In fact, that is how we retrain our brains to rely on other coping skills instead of our compulsions.

It's one of the seeming contradictions of AA: it's for people who want to quit drinking, but can't, but then the first thing that's told of them is to stop drinking. Come to meetings, listen, and despite the mental and possibly physical anguish you are going through, don't pick up a drink, no matter what. We aren't told to wait until we are mentally well enough to stop, because we can't be mentally well until we stop. And that's just step one.

Delilah1 01-24-2020 04:07 PM

I’m glad you’re here and posting.

Sohard 01-24-2020 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gal220 (Post 7367032)
You said in a previous post:
"To do either of these things [referring to AVRT and AA]
You need baseline mental health
Or nerves of steel"

This is something that I have currently been battling myself. But this is just not true. This would be like saying, "I'm overweight, diabetic, and have heart disease, so I'm too physically ill to exercise and eat better. Let me have some fast food and watch some Netflix and wait until I feel better to get started."

We work towards our sobriety and mental health because we are ill and because it is the only way to become sober and mentally well. There is no other way to get there; there is no baseline of mental health. We have to do the hard work even when we don't want to, even when we don't feel like it, even when we are tired, even when we are uncomfortable. There's just no other way to do it. In fact, that is how we retrain our brains to rely on other coping skills instead of our compulsions.

It's one of the seeming contradictions of AA: it's for people who want to quit drinking, but can't, but then the first thing that's told of them is to stop drinking. Come to meetings, listen, and despite the mental and possibly physical anguish you are going through, don't pick up a drink, no matter what. We aren't told to wait until we are mentally well enough to stop, because we can't be mentally well until we stop. And that's just step one.

I think this statement here is very wise. I'd read it over a few times (sincerely) if I were you.

Obladi, this relapse is just horrible. I'm so sorry you are going through this again. It must feel like groundhog's day in hell. I can imagine the frustration fear, anxiety, etc. you must have running through you right now. So, please know we are all understanding of what a hellish time you are enduring and proud of you for reporting back here for help.

I know there is nothing I can tell you that you don't already know. I'll tell you my advice, though, just because as a caring human I want to help and I do know sometimes hearing the same advice from a variety of sources phrased minutely differently would make something finally click in my brain. So, hopefully something clicks here.

My advice is I think you really need to stop thinking so much. Thinking, analyzing, justifying, discovering, mulling over, etc. Your brain is broken. Period. You can't trust your brain. And you can't trust it at only 2,3,4,5 or however many months you were currently sober until this recent relapse. You need minimum a year. Your brain and it's decision making capabilities are nearly ruined because of your drinking. So if you want to stop drinking, to me stop thinking. Say to yourself if you want to drink in a year, you're allowed. I give you permission (not that you need my permission) to drink on January 24, 2021 as much as you'd like for as long as you'd like, if you just promise not to drink until then.

I bet you won't feel so like drinking on January 24, 2021 because you will have finally allowed your brain to begin to really heal, which is what you have refused to do. You just keep picking at the scab. If you'd let it heal, you'd be in such an easier position. Scabs are vulnerable, scars are tough.

I don't think this is a mental illness issue. I have severe mental illness issues. A ton of us on SR do. But a ton of us are also sober now. Mental issues definitely caused my addiction (I was certainly self-medicating, so thank god for modern medicine). You, like me, also appear to be under the care of a doctor and on the necessary medication. You aren't an ignorant teenager not yet diagnosed or a homeless person unable to access medical care. You have help and maturity and an understanding of your condition. So, to me, your mental illness isn't the issue here as it is being addressed by you and your doctor. You'll never be "cured"of mental illness issues because we now know that no one is ever done/cured/finito in regard to mental illness. That would be like saying anyone ever gets 100% perfect physically. I don't know of a soul on earth who could claim that.

So, I'd shelve trying to figure out a reason for your drinking. To me, it's because your brain is broken, and you won't know what a healed brain feels like until you finally decide to give your brain a chance to heal (And the decision IS all yours. You can make it right now, actually).

You also, I know, have been careful in the past not to repeat old patterns. For me, my worst, daily pattern was walking right in the door from work and opening my bottle of wine before even sitting down (screw top, of course, so I could open it fast). It literally hurt and took ALL MY WILL POWER to retrain my brain to not associate home with drinking, reading with drinking, tv with drinking, celebrating with drinking, sadness with drinking, etc. It's like I was becoming a new person. Your big pattern at the moment, it appears, is this relapse thing every few months. So when you have that relapse feeling, you have to FIGHT through it. FIGHT. FOR. YOUR. LIFE. What would show me that you are doing that is if you post BEFORE you drink for permission/help. Then you'd be giving your friends here a chance to actually help, which you've deprived them of. You deserved that, and so did they. Why not go to them if you're feeling so desperate? You can STILL drink even if you go to them, but at least it would prove you've done everything to stop yourself from unscrewing the cap. Of course, it's not about proving anything to me/us, it's about proving it to yourself. And each time you do that successfully, you will gain confidence and a retraining of your brain.
And each time you get close and succeed in not drinking, it will get easier the next time you are in such a dangerous position. Just like each time I walked in the door after work it got easier.

You CAN do this. Just stop thinking about it and do it. At nearly 9 months, I might sound kooky saying your brain needs a good year plus to recover. But I do believe that. I don't trust my own brain! That's why I don't listen to it when it tells me some wine would be good. Because I've decided not to trust it, it's broken. I wish you'd realize that trying to use a broken brain is like trying to walk on a broken leg, both are useless and dangerous acts. That's why just last week I reached out for help before drinking because I knew I couldn't trust myself (at least not yet) but I could trust this community. Use this community during the times that really matter.

I would say best of luck to you, but it's not about luck. Give yourself permission to finally heal.

Obladi 01-24-2020 07:32 PM

Thank you SO much.

Obladi 01-24-2020 07:39 PM

Sohard

I feel like I owe you so much right now, but I can't reciprocate at the moment.

I'll be back.

And Dee, I'm not dying yet!

Dee74 01-24-2020 07:47 PM

Good to hear :)

I don't want you or anyone to think I'm alarmist or given to hyperbole.

I died inside a long time before I started to die outside.
Not the death of a thousand cuts but the death of a million sips.

D