Notices

O Well?

Old 03-27-2020, 03:40 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Perhaps that was her message, fini.

When I quite frankly asked the kids for guidance to avoid being perceived as a know-it-all, middlest advised that I drop "I know" from my vocabulary. I bemusedly asked her what to say instead, to which she essentially replied, "How about nothing?"

Hence my apology to Sponsor yesterday. I said (and believe) telling people what I need is ok, but my intent needs to be clear, honest and humble. I completely agree that there's a balance setting boundaries and telling people what to do/be/think/say. This understanding is a gift from my most recent experiences. It's going to take practice; awareness should help. I hope!

As far as where the line is, I think to a great degree it depends on "the audience" and my delivery. Some people might be ok with "Please don't do x," others might perceive that request as a directive.

I saw yesterday that my boundary-setting is defensive. Dialing that back seems like a very good idea.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

O

Seems like reactive boundary vs. proactive limits.

Make any sense?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

What I see is you really throwing everything you’ve got at getting sober.

And that’s how it’s done.

I don’t know exactly what’s going down with the sponsor and middlest and such, but when I reacted or butted heads early in sobriety (which happened often esp with people I had unresolved conflict with) I would often comfort myself by focusing on sobriety. Getting sober, being sober, being in the act of sobriety. It’s a verb.

I found it beautiful and calming to know I was sober and it was FOR ME, not for anyone else.

Reflect on your sobriety in these trying times. Glad you’re able to work from sober living, that’s good how that worked out.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Excellent phrasing, Hawk.

Sass, I'm not sure that sobriety-ing is the right way for me, though I know it was (has been) effective for you and I admire that. It's plain old living that seems to be my biggest challenge. Facing it all as a whole, powerful, compassionate, kind woman is the task at hand. Ain't no way for me to succeed at that as a drinker, fer sure.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

How you settling in to the sober living house O?

I'm moving still between two places but I have to admit that this social isolation thing actually agrees with me.

I now have a valid and plausible excuse to eschew physical company
Old 03-28-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
middlest advised that I drop "I know" from my vocabulary.
Interesting. I talk too much. And impose stupid speculations of mine on others -- why should they care? I pretend to de-assert them by apologizing and saying "I think" rather than "I know," but it's just a camouflage for inserting myself everywhere.

When I'm aware that's what I'm doing, I try to ask, and listen, and wait people out, who often want to say more but are not as verbal as me.

it's good to keep going forward, even when it seems like standing still. ((O))
Old 03-28-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Interesting. I talk too much. And impose stupid speculations of mine on others -- why should they care? I pretend to de-assert them by apologizing and saying "I think" rather than "I know," but it's just a camouflage for inserting myself everywhere.

When I'm aware that's what I'm doing, I try to ask, and listen, and wait people out, who often want to say more but are not as verbal as me.

it's good to keep going forward, even when it seems like standing still. ((O))
This is so much like what I do it's scary. For the very same reasons.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

The "I know" I am referring to goes something like this:

Person: We have rules here to enforce discipline and order.
Obladi: I know (insert additional verbiage expanding on my understanding OR why you don't need to worry about noncompliance being an issue for me).

It seems that this is off-putting to people who don't know me; it comes off as disrespectful. I think it's also true of people who do know me and perceive that I'm questioning their authority, which may be true depending on the topic...

Excuse me while I attend our mandatory AA meeting via Zoom, no electronic devices or writing implements of any kind allowed.

It's a rule.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Excellent phrasing, Hawk.

Sass, I'm not sure that sobriety-ing is the right way for me, though I know it was (has been) effective for you and I admire that. It's plain old living that seems to be my biggest challenge. Facing it all as a whole, powerful, compassionate, kind woman is the task at hand. Ain't no way for me to succeed at that as a drinker, fer sure.

Hmmm. I don’t believe “plain old living” and “facing it as a whole, powerful, compassionate, kind woman” is the real problem. That seems to be overthinking it. It is also nonsensical. The rational you knows that drinking in no way helps you to be a whole, compassionate, kind woman. So hoping to be those things is not relevant to this conversation. You’re overthinking what is really much, much simpler (thank god).

Life is life. Even discussing its complex and difficult nature is, to me, irrelevant. I don’t think that’s why you (or any of us) drink/drank. You drank bc you were addicted. And, even when you were no longer physically addicted, you’ve never been sober enough to no longer be emotionally addicted and to heal the very real brain damage you caused by drinking. It worries me to even hear you bring up “plain old living” and wanting to be “powerful, compassionate, kind” because (to me) this is giving your AV a ready-made excuse (‘I drank bc life is hard and I’m trying to be powerful, passionate, kind’.). Every human alive has to to deal with ‘plain old living’ and at least everyone I know hopes to being compassionate, kind, etc. But non addicts would never use it as an excuse to drink, bc these goals are totally unrelated to pouring poison down their throats and are actually deterrents to accomplishing those goals. I would just say what I always do. Recognize your brain has been severely damaged and needs to heal. And, if you want a drink, tell yourself you have no more right to a drink than a toddler does to drive. Your brain is nowhere near healthy enough, having been damaged by years of addiction, to make such a decision. And then trust that in time this will become easier and you will feel your brain recovering.

I really do mean this in all the best ways. It just seems you keep seeking an answer, a cure, a new way of thinking/believing, etc. To me, I just had to simplify it and stop thinking about it. I can’t drink. In the same way a person who knows they are allergic to peanuts can’t have peanuts. You are allergic and your brain is damaged (a particularly bad combination all addicts must face). So ground yourself: no more drinking for you. Force yourself not to drink for a year. Deal with whatever issues you need to deal with in therapy. But none of them are why you drink. An allergy and broken brain are. You can’t philosophize and think your way out of addiction any more than you can philosophize or think your way out of a bug bite itching. They are just realities, like the sky being blue.

All truly meant in the most helpful way. Truly.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:24 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

that’s interesting, Sohard.
you don’t think that plain old living, soberly, is the real “problem” to be overcome to avoid relapse?
just trying to get this straight.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
that’s interesting, Sohard.
you don’t think that plain old living, soberly, is the real “problem” to be overcome to avoid relapse?
just trying to get this straight.
Yep. I mean, yes, you understood me right that, in my opinion, nope, plain old living soberly isn’t the real problem. I don’t know when Obladi began drinking. I only know when I began drinking. But let’s say Obladi began drinking at age 16. So, she was sober living between day 1 and day 5840. I’m not saying life wasn’t hard, I’m not saying there were no challenges, but I’m saying that she didn’t drink because of them. She might’ve cried, she might have cut herself, she might have been a kleptomaniac for all I know. But if she didn’t start drinking until she was 16, that was not the problem. We know she can live without drinking, she’s done it before. We all have. And I don’t believe she had her very first drink because “living soberly” was difficult. After all, living soberly is all she knew and she didn’t yet know what intoxication felt like. She had her first drink for the same reason we all have our first drink. It’s just something most humans do eventually. The problem, to me, is simple. She has an addiction that was activated and then brain damage which followed. Again, this is just my belief. I also don’t believe Obladi ever got near a point where she was trying to “avoid relapse”. She hadn’t been sober nearly long enough to relapse. I’m at 327 days sober and I don’t believe I’ve been nearly sober enough to relapse. If I drank today, I would think of it the same way as I would think of it If my dear friend (who is undergoing chemotherapy) still had cancer after 4 months of treatments. Meaning - damn, it didn’t work. I wouldn’t say after 4 months if she reported the cancer was still there “oh, she’s no longer in remission and she’s now having a reoccurrence of her cancer.” There was never a remission so there cannot be a recurrence. It’s just still there. And that’s the zone I think Obodi is stuck in. She’s never gotten nearly past the healing phase. I say this not to be offensive, and I’m putting myself in that same boat. After 11 months, I wouldn’t say I relapsed if I drank tonight. I would say that I haven’t stopped drinking yet. There was just a looong break. To me, until I’ve given myself at least a year, minimum, for my brain to do some significant healing, there’s no relapse I need to be wary of. It’s still that initial urge. The cancer is still there.

But my cancer is minimizing every day. Because not drinking each day and building my sober muscles is my chemotherapy. And I know it’ll work bc I’m trusting the doctors that tell me this is what I need to do: not drink. There’s nothing I need to do other than not pour poison down my throat. I don’t have to worry about plain old living. Humans have been doing it for thousands upon thousands of years and my body will do that naturally.

Again, I know different strokes for different folks. This just works for me. :-) And I thought it might help Obladi too, who clearly really wants to be successful as shown by her great, great efforts. 👏👏👏👏👏
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
There’s nothing I need to do other than not pour poison down my throat. I don’t have to worry about plain old living. Humans have been doing it for thousands upon thousands of years
^^^
Old 03-28-2020, 09:20 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

For the most part that’s how I got through my first year. Don’t drink, don’t over think it, make other physical lifestyle changes, try to eliminate cross addictions. And it worked. But at 2 and a half years I’ve come to see clearly that the mental obsession is what lies beneath the physical addiction and it can find many ways of manifesting itself. For me it has roots in trauma, and uncovering those roots seems to have made a huge difference.

But I will also say I agree with the cancer analogy (in the sense of I feel like I’ve finally reached remission rather than just keeping my symptoms at bay), but every stage of illness I went through in this process was necessary to get to the next one. Every tangent of recovery methods or language I found useful was part of the treatment.

It's great to see you back here O! It's a long road but you seem to be taking all the necessary steps to show your commitment to it.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:24 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I have to get my laptop to respond fully, but first of all, thanks. For the time you take to read, think, post and wish me well.

For me, I don't think "allergy" is accurate - I am no more allergic to vodka than I am to cigarettes. Or chocolate. Or caffeine. I drank for the effect. Not a happy/fun effect for a long time (If ever) but an effect nonetheless. I'd say I was predisposed to addiction the same way I was predisposed to anxiety and depression, also (I think?) considered illness, not disease. I have it, can't control it, but can take actions to mitigate it. This is not intended to start a debate here about allergy/disease/choice, it's just a statement of my understanding of this thing for myself. At this time.

I'm not a physician, but if I've got this right, the concept of remission is somewhat arbitrary. Isn't it 5 years for cancer? And doesn't remission mean something like dormant? What's different at 59 months vs 60? It's even more dicey for addiction once the acute withdrawl is passed, I think. What's the difference between 11 months and 12 months? Again, this isn't my attempt to debate anyone; these are just my thoughts at this time.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

She had her first drink for the same reason we all have our first drink. It’s just something most humans do eventually.
Really?
I had my first drink because I was looking for the effect. Isn't that why all humans eventually try a drink?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Really?
I had my first drink because I was looking for the effect. Isn't that why all humans eventually try a drink?
I had my first drink as a child, drank whiskey from my father's glass. Years later, I drank as a teenager, at a party. I wasn't "looking for the effect" then, the years earlier whiskey tasted horrendous. It was a social occasion, and everybody partook, so being a herd creature, I did too. How could I know what the effect was, until I tried it?

Sadly, as a person with social shyness, I found out that the effect was to remove shyness. So I subsequently 'used' it for such occasions.

I believe its addiction, pure and simple, a means to remove uncomfortable feelings, that becomes habitual. I know people who have the very same addiction as me, to different substances and media, to include social media likes, and the need for approval.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

... I drank as a teenager, at a party. I wasn't "looking for the effect" then, the years earlier whiskey tasted horrendous. It was a social occasion, and everybody partook, so being a herd creature, I did too. How could I know what the effect was, until I tried it?
In my mind, there's a difference between drinking sacramental wine or having some champagne at a wedding as a child vs drinking at a teenage party. I'm pretty sure I noticed some effect (taste notwithstanding) with the former, so did have some expectation of what it would be like when I took my first drink independently of one of those ritualized occasions. I have a hard time reconciling having a drink as a teenager as "herd behavior" without any expectation of what the effect would be, but I respect that could have been the case for you.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Not pouring the poison down our throats and wanting to be a kind, compassionate, strong woman, go hand in hand if you ask me.

I want that, but not if I'm drunk. It won't happen.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

I first drank because saw my mother drink to feel better. She was very verbally abusive and mean drinking and blamed everything wrong in her life on my brother and I when loaded. I accepted the blame and felt horrible about what I had “done” to ruin her life, and believed I was the selfish, ungrateful child she said I was.

I felt awful about this and my first drinks were to soften this horrible stabbing pain that led to stomach ulcers by age 13 or so.

I liked the euphoria of early buzzes and also started drinking to get those—so my effect shifted. I also began drinking with peers at this stage as well as alone.

Cart or horse—pain or pleasure-response—cause or effect— I cannot truly say so many years later.

I know I drink now after some kind of “emotional short circuit” which by-passes my good sense and logical mind. It links to numbing, and a craving to shut off my ever-turning brain for awhile, as any euphoria is measured in minutes instead of hours.

This time feels different. I am ready to quit quitting and set up household in sober-land with no backpedaling or desire to leave the door cracked.

Done and dusted.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

What's the difference between 11 months and 12 months? Again, this isn't my attempt to debate anyone; these are just my thoughts at this time.
I think this short article might explain better than me the difference between 11 and 12 months. Each day matters. From my understanding, statistics show that you are often in the cancer clear after 5 years, which is why they say cured then. I would say studies have said the same with alcoholism. So, I’ve got healing to do for 5 years and, until then, to stop using my damaged brain to think about any issues related to alcohol (because what my brain is really trying to do is convince me to drink). And I agree. There’s not much time difference between 11 and 12 months. So I’ll still consider myself working/healing/etc past that point.

That of course does not mean that I don’t have issues of my own. We all do. I’m human too. Plain old living can be challenging for all of us. But I just don’t link these at all to drinking anymore than I would discuss flamingos here. Because that’s not why alcoholics drink (in my opinion). Because if I do, there will always be a maybe excuse to drink. Something horrible could come up. Like when Eric Clapton‘s 4 year old son fell out of a window and died. Eric Clapton had finally gotten used to plan old living soberly, but he hadn’t been used to this type of horror. So would it be an excuse/reason to drink? Of course not. Because he didn’t link drinking to life’s challenges anymore or to traumas or to anything else. They were unrelated.

I’m very glad you’re sober and safe. You can do this! I recognize we all have different ways out of this maze. It’s just that this way works for me and I thought it might be helpful to you or others reading this!

https://www.verywellmind.com/brain-c...stinence-66614