Notices

Stye

Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stye

Today is my 19th day sober, and since quitting I've had more Stye's of the eyelid than I generally have in a 2 year period. I'm now on my 3rd Stye of my left eyelid since giving up drinking; red, swollen, pocket of puss, etc....

Is this just coincident or possibly another side effect of giving up drinking? I rarely ever get these Stye's, and now suddenly I've had 3 since giving it up.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I got a lot of nasty spots when I stopped drinking, I put it down to toxins coming out. If you are having repeated styes it could be infection, eye drops are needed for that. The infection can spread easily so can you see a Dr or pharmacist?
Old 01-24-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I agree.

I agree with the previous post, you must take care of yourself both in general everyday terms and looking after your sobriety, drink plenty of fluids, take a nap when you need to and eat sufficient for your needs.

Medicinal help as and when required, above all enjoy your sobriety, a day at a time and don't look for excuses to break it...
Old 01-24-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Eating more sugar than before you quit? I stuck to no sugar whiskey and lowcarb food before quitting, the sugar avalanche when I quit drinking made me feel sick. Still am sick from it two years later.

Alcohol doesn’t turn to sugar, it uses a similar pathway in the body but it’s not sugar or sugar metabolites. When we eat poorly after quitting our immune system is depleted and if we replace it with comfort food like ice cream, we don’t heal.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's a common trick of our addiction to try and put blame on things happening to us as a result of us NOT drinking anymore. When in truth its quite the opposite - drinking always causes more problems than it solves ( if any! )

Have you spoken with your doctor about it at all? That would be your best bet if you have serious concerns about them.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

A stye is an infection so obviously something is going on there for you to have so many. Try and keep the area clean.

Could be as simple as an ingrown eyelash or something but I'd run it by your doctor.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you female? Could be increased domedex…..