SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Bad Weekend Ahead... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/445090-bad-weekend-ahead.html)

Rockbottom1964 01-17-2020 09:25 AM

Bad Weekend Ahead...

7 o’clock on a Friday night and I already dread the rest of this weekend. Everyone here (all family in the three houses on the property) are either already drunk or drinking. My old dad (78) has already been drunk for at least two hours by now, and he has this horrible way of shouting/screaming at the stepmom; he has this way of fetching words right out of his lungs, so it sounds like he’s bringing up phlegm and puking at the same time. Sort of a Ghaaaa… sound when he shouts. It’ real ugly and I can’t wait for him to go to bed, which is sure to be in the next hour, thanks God.
I have two choices here, of course, and both would work. The one is to go buy my own bottle and join in the drinking (if you can’t beat them, join them); it would mean I’ll probably not care about my situation for one night at least and pass out like the rest of them. Or I could close my door and keep me and my two dogs away from the drunken world outside. I chose the latter and right now – still daylight here – I’m lying on my bed and writing this thread on SR. I’m really starting to hate alcohol with a passion…
37 Days clean and sober and I will NOT drink this weekend.

DaisyBelle7 01-17-2020 09:41 AM

That’s a really tough situation for someone in recovery. You made the right decision, and you will wake up tomorrow feeling 100 times better than the rest of your family. Be proud of your choice. :grouphug:

ScottFromWI 01-17-2020 09:46 AM

Congrats on 37 days and your resolve/choice to make it to day 38.

I'd suggest that perhaps there is a third choice you could make - how about getting out of the house and going somewhere else? I don't know where you live but if you are near a city of any kind I would guess there might be libraries, museums, parks, or other places you might be able to go enjoy something different?

Rockbottom1964 01-17-2020 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 7361159)
Congrats on 37 days and your resolve/choice to make it to day 38.

I'd suggest that perhaps there is a third choice you could make - how about getting out of the house and going somewhere else? I don't know where you live but if you are near a city of any kind I would guess there might be libraries, museums, parks, or other places you might be able to go enjoy something different?

Hi, Scott. I'm in South Africa, which has become a real third-world country since 1994 and ANC rule. State- and Municipal-run places like museums and libraries all close around 4 in the afternoon, and going to a park in the evening is just looking to be robbed - or worse. Also - South Africa has this drinking-culture, it seems; you can go to very few places where people don't drink. I live outside of town in any way, and taking a walk by myself is just as dangerous.
Thanks for the suggestion in any way, but believe me, I have thought of all possible ways out - even for just a few hours - many times...:a043:

ScottFromWI 01-17-2020 10:34 AM

Sorry to hear that your local situation does not allow you to get physically out away from your home much. While I live it's not nearly as dangerous to be out and about on your own, but there is a lot of drinking going on.

I'm glad you at least have the ability to connect to the outside world virtually. I can remember many times when I was at a family event or something similar and drinking was prevalent and I snuck off to a quiet corner where I could connect with SR on my phone. You can always count on someone being online here pretty much 24/7 365 days a year.

Kaily 01-17-2020 11:24 AM

Hunker down with those lovely dogs, stay safe and sober, you're doing great. :)