Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How Bad is it to Drink Again After Alcoholic Hepatitis or Alcoholic Neuropathy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

This is my first thread on these forums. I hope I'm posting this in the right place, if not my apologies. I'm looking for some insight from folks who have gone through either alcoholic hepatitis or alcoholic peripheral neuropathy or know people who have, or have knowledge on these conditions.

I'm very concerned about someone in my life that I love a lot.
She is a 28 year old alcoholic, 110 pounds, she has been a very heavy drinker for years (over 20 shots of vodka per day was typical), and back in September she developed jaundice and was hospitalized for 5 days with alcoholic hepatitis. After all kinds of tests it was determined she did not have cirrhosis.

After leaving the hospital she quickly developed peripheral neuropathy in her feet, leaving her having to use a walker for several days to get from the bed to the bathroom. After abstaining from alcohol for 2 months, her neuropathy had mostly gone away, maybe partly due to taking high doses of B vitamins every day.

Sadly, after two months of abstaining since the hospital visit she started slowly drinking again. I'm not exactly sure the amount she is drinking now, but I know she is drinking.

What could happen to her by drinking again after only two months of abstaining since the hepatitis? What sort of health risks is she facing with her liver and her body? Will her neuropathy return and become permanent? I'm scared for her and could really use some insight on this.

Last edited by Z71Ross; 01-15-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding text
Old 01-15-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Z71Ross

I'm sorry for what brings you here. I'm not a doctor, and I have no personal experience to share but I can't imagine drinking again after either or both of those things is a good idea.

You'd have to expect those things to happen again, or worse. They may indeed become permanent conditions- a body can only rejuvenate so many times.

Have you expressed your concern to this person?

D
Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your friend's situation.
The experiences I have are two co-workers. One had cirrhosis and kept on drinking. He died. The last time I saw him, his skin was yellow.
The other was also a co-worker and quit for eight years, but started again. He blew out his esophageal varices for the third time and bled to death.

It's not pretty and I am no doctor so I can't say what might happen to your friend.
She's lucky to have someone like you who cares about her.
I wish you both the best.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no knowledge of these conditions, but I do know that drinking will make anything worse. I hope you can get thru to your friend with your concern. That would worry me too.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She is facing HUGE health risks. Alcohol was what caused her hospilitilasitation in the first place so to continue drinking will bring on the same issues and as alcoholism is a progressive disease , she will probably have more issues to deal which maybe even result in death. The only way your friend will recover is if she abstains from alcohol permanently. This is a killer illness.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
She is facing HUGE health risks. Alcohol was what caused her hospilitilasitation in the first place so to continue drinking will bring on the same issues and as alcoholism is a progressive disease , she will probably have more issues to deal which maybe even result in death. The only way your friend will recover is if she abstains from alcohol permanently. This is a killer illness.
Yeah unfortunately that's my thinking. I'm worried that she may suffer acute hepatitis and liver failure, or best case scenario she spends the rest of her life in a wheelchair due to her permanent neuropathy. I'm just wondering the likelihood that she can continue to drink for another 5, 10, 20 years without major issues, or if the odds are is that she faces huge problems in the near future.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I, too, have neuropathy (not alcohol related), but I am here to tell you that if the cause was known (mine isn't), whether it was alcohol, eating red meat, or anything else, you can sure that I would immediately cease that action and never go back to it.

Thankfully, medication has my neuropathy pain at a tolerable level, but prior to that, I suffered excruciating pain the likes of which I could never have imagined.

Your question was How Bad is it to Drink Again After Alcoholic Hepatitis or Alcoholic Neuropathy? I am not a doctor, so I cannot speak to the physical. I am, however, an alcoholic, and if your friend is still determined to drink after all that, I am sorry to say that alcohol will most likely take her life. I'm sorry. I pray that she will see the light. Hugs to you.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor either, but given her history do not like her odds at all.

If she has returned to drinking after both alcoholic hepatitis, and neuropathy, clearly she needs help. Twenty shots of vodka a day will do anyone in. She is only 28. Have you suggested a therapist?

Please don't feel responsible to have her change, she has got to want this for herself.

I'm very sorry. So very sad.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no medical expertise but I do know that alcoholism is progressive. At 28 your friend is young to have experienced the physical symptoms you have reported.

As her body ages, things are not going to get better. Her 30’s will be worse than her 20’s, and her 40’s, well those years might be pretty ugly.

I hope she is able to find sobriety, but as others have said, she needs to decide if she wants that. The good news is that she is young and the human body has a remarkable ability to recover.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I saw this thread and was talking to a friend of mine through Facebook, he's a physician who has worked for Mayo Clinic and a few different hospital's over the years. I asked him about this while talking to him.

He said to make sure to include that this is just a general answer since he doesn't know your friend, her condition, history or anything else. But in summary, he said anyone who has had alcoholic hepatitis is more vulnerable to it becoming a chronic condition should they go back to drinking, especially as quick as she did. He said this also would put someone more at risk of cirrhosis of the liver, and in some cases could lead to complete liver failure.

He said that in some cases, depending on how much a person drinks, 2 months sometimes isn't enough time for a severe case of hepatitis of the liver to fully clear up. He said it depends entirely on the person, their body, condition of their liver, how much they would drink.. but he said it is concerning that someone would go back to drinking in that short amount of time after being diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of great advice here Ross. Bottom line, nothing good can come from her drinking. I hope she can make the decision to quit and quit for good.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's bad, no two ways about it.

If those things had happened to me, I would be spending every waking moment trying not to drink again.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry about your loved one. This is quite bad. She could die. Does she know that? That’s what keeps me from drinking, knowing that at the amounts I drank, and the withdrawals I had, I could die if I go back.

Have you talked with her? Is there any willingness to try again? Can you help coordinate inpatient rehab for her?
Old 01-18-2020, 12:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

You can get them more than once, and not just from drinking.

Research demonstrates that people's risk for both hepatitis and peripheral neuropathy rises significantly when they resume drinking after each condition resolves, either from treatment or spontaneous remission.

If you have difficulty with high levels of so-called "bad cholesterol (LDL)," then you need to significantly cut down on or stop eating ice cream, butter, shellfish, and fast food, among others.

Re-introducing one of the majors causes of the problem is an invitation for the problem to return.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How very sad she is only 28 and cant help herself with her addiction.

There is only one way this will end up eventually unless she has the strength to want to help herself

I wish her well and you too being an onlooker xxx
Old 01-19-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Devious0ne View Post
I saw this thread and was talking to a friend of mine through Facebook, he's a physician who has worked for Mayo Clinic and a few different hospital's over the years. I asked him about this while talking to him.

He said to make sure to include that this is just a general answer since he doesn't know your friend, her condition, history or anything else. But in summary, he said anyone who has had alcoholic hepatitis is more vulnerable to it becoming a chronic condition should they go back to drinking, especially as quick as she did. He said this also would put someone more at risk of cirrhosis of the liver, and in some cases could lead to complete liver failure.

He said that in some cases, depending on how much a person drinks, 2 months sometimes isn't enough time for a severe case of hepatitis of the liver to fully clear up. He said it depends entirely on the person, their body, condition of their liver, how much they would drink.. but he said it is concerning that someone would go back to drinking in that short amount of time after being diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis.
Thank you for talking with your doctor friend about this
Old 01-19-2020, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack465 View Post
It's bad, no two ways about it.

If those things had happened to me, I would be spending every waking moment trying not to drink again.
Yeah she didn't put in much of an effort to stop drinking after this happened. Wouldn't do meetings, therapy, read books, etc. She even said she would drink again, just not as much.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry about your loved one. This is quite bad. She could die. Does she know that? That’s what keeps me from drinking, knowing that at the amounts I drank, and the withdrawals I had, I could die if I go back.

Have you talked with her? Is there any willingness to try again? Can you help coordinate inpatient rehab for her?
Unfortunately she now lives on the other side of the country, with very little of a support network. She told me last week that she smoked meth laced weed with a homeless guy, and that he stole her phone and "molested" her. She sounded pretty drunk when I talked to her...
Old 01-19-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
You can get them more than once, and not just from drinking.

Research demonstrates that people's risk for both hepatitis and peripheral neuropathy rises significantly when they resume drinking after each condition resolves, either from treatment or spontaneous remission.

If you have difficulty with high levels of so-called "bad cholesterol (LDL)," then you need to significantly cut down on or stop eating ice cream, butter, shellfish, and fast food, among others.

Re-introducing one of the majors causes of the problem is an invitation for the problem to return.
Yes that's my concern, is that she is tempting fate by drinking again. I worry that even if her liver does hold out, that she could be disabled and unable to walk once the neuropathy returns and becomes permanent.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If the hospitilazation for the alcoholic hepatitis and then the neuropathy didn't convince her to seek any sort of help for her drinking, I wonder if anything will? I can only imagine how difficult it is to suffer from alcoholism, but you would think one or both of those things would have triggered something in her to at least take the first step towards true recovery.

Now she's saying she hardly drinks anymore and that she is smoking a lot of weed instead (she said she even smoked weed laced with meth with a homeless guy that according to her, stole her phone and "molested" her). But considering the drunken texts I got from her, I don't buy that. Besides, I know alcoholism is progressive. She can't just "cut back" and moderate for the long term.