Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How Bad is it to Drink Again After Alcoholic Hepatitis or Alcoholic Neuropathy?

Notices

How Bad is it to Drink Again After Alcoholic Hepatitis or Alcoholic Neuropathy?

Old 01-20-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Z71Ross View Post
If the hospitilazation for the alcoholic hepatitis and then the neuropathy didn't convince her to seek any sort of help for her drinking, I wonder if anything will? I can only imagine how difficult it is to suffer from alcoholism, but you would think one or both of those things would have triggered something in her to at least take the first step towards true recovery.

Now she's saying she hardly drinks anymore and that she is smoking a lot of weed instead (she said she even smoked weed laced with meth with a homeless guy that according to her, stole her phone and "molested" her). But considering the drunken texts I got from her, I don't buy that. Besides, I know alcoholism is progressive. She can't just "cut back" and moderate for the long term.
Unfortuantely, consequences alone are not always sufficient to convince one to make the choice to quit. Mainly because even severe consequences eventually got away - although temporarily. And not to sound alarmist, but people do literally drink themselves to death - we see it here on SR more often than anyone would care to.

She's certianly in denial of the problem if she's still drinking and smoking, but that's pretty common. She is the one that will need to make the decision to quit, you can't force that upon her. You could certainly support her in that decision if she made it, but trying to change her will likely only result in frustration for you. Has she ever sought treatment before on her own?
Old 01-20-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Unfortuantely, consequences alone are not always sufficient to convince one to make the choice to quit. Mainly because even severe consequences eventually got away - although temporarily. And not to sound alarmist, but people do literally drink themselves to death - we see it here on SR more often than anyone would care to.

She's certianly in denial of the problem if she's still drinking and smoking, but that's pretty common. She is the one that will need to make the decision to quit, you can't force that upon her. You could certainly support her in that decision if she made it, but trying to change her will likely only result in frustration for you. Has she ever sought treatment before on her own?
To my knowledge I don't think she has ever sought out treatment. She has been adamently opposed to inpatient rehab. Her family wanted her to come live with them when I kicked her out 2 months ago but she refused, probably because she wouldn't be allowed to drink there either.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Quite possibly fatal. This is Russian Roulette and at some point, the House wins.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Quite possibly fatal. This is Russian Roulette and at some point, the House wins.
Yeah that's my fear... cirrhosis, or sudden onset liver failure, etc... what's crazy to me is that she is only 28. Alcoholism is progressive, so it's only going to get worse for her until she decides enough is enough. But if 5 days in the hospital and then moving around using a walker wasn't enough to attend a meeting or try rehab, I don't know what it will take.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I would think that drinking with those conditions are life changing/threatening for sure
Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Gently, I'd suggest you step back from the relationship emotionally. You're still deeply engaged in her drama and it's toxic for you. I know it might sound harsh but there is literally nothing you can do if she insists on killing herself.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and input back in January. I've recently learned that she has moved back in with an alcoholic ex BF that had been physically abusive to her in the past. She calls me up drunk on a regular basis. She told me last month that he smashed her phone into her face, causing her to bleed everywhere. They are moving from one extended stay hotel to another. If you look at her FB and Instagram posts, you would think her life was perfect. Her and her ex(current again?) BF have a history of drinking together and enabling each other, and she has a past history of physical abuse herself when drunk, so right now her life is a powderkeg in my opinion. I asked her if she has been having any neuropathy issues again and she said no.

I believe it's only a matter of time before she develops serious health issues again, not withstanding her abusive situation