SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   A new year (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/444845-new-year.html)

ScottFromWI 01-08-2020 07:58 AM

A new year

My sobriety date is January 7, so this new decade and today makes it 7 years since I quit drinking.

I'm not a big proponent of resolutions, but someone sent me an article about them yesterday and how they can be re-framed as "committments". I'm also not much of a semantics debater either- I generally believe that actions speak louder than words. Having said that, the article had a great section about why it's so hard to keep resolutions that require a behavioral change. They used the example of smoking - and how one might associate it with say a conversation after a meal. The act of not buying cigarettes anymore or saying "I'm going to quit smoking this year for New Years" is a relatively easy thing to do. Changing them mindset associated with the act is the hard part.

I see a lot of parallels with our struggles with alcohol. And changing my mindset on how I view alcohol has really been the key. Not only accepting that drinking will always have bad consequences, but finding alternate coping mechanisms to actually face life on it's terms. That is the big one - facing reality vs trying to avoid/escape I guess would be the most simple way to put it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for all of your support to me and others over the past 7 plus years. I was in and out of drinking and on SR for some time before those 7 years too, and I always try to remind myself of that fact when others struggle here.

I wish peace and the ability to face our lives and struggles to each and everyone here, as well as those to come and those who may have left.

fini 01-08-2020 08:51 AM

congratulations, Scott!

Bonnefond87 01-08-2020 09:04 AM

Congratulations and thankyou. I have found many of your comments very helpful and your advice is always appreciated.

Fusion 01-08-2020 09:15 AM

Congratulations on 7 years, Scott, thats an awesome achievement! Insightful post, thank you! May peace be with you too.

venuscat 01-08-2020 09:36 AM

When I was a kid, I thought that being in my 20s meant that I would be a grown up, but I started drinking in my 20s and never grew up. Not until I stopped drinking did I really even begin to face life on life's terms....and I am still learning how to do this. I have a ways to go.

Thank you for your wonderful post Scott, and thank you for being here :hug: s ❤️

And...

https://i.imgur.com/ebDwyOP.gif

Rockbottom1964 01-08-2020 10:27 AM

Good for you, Scott. It looks like you won in the end. The 7th was/is also my daughters birthday, so next year, I'll probably think: Ahh, it's Sune's birthday, and Scott's as well - his eight...

ScottFromWI 01-08-2020 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 (Post 7354044)
Good for you, Scott. It looks like you won in the end. The 7th was/is also my daughters birthday, so next year, I'll probably think: Ahh, it's Sune's birthday, and Scott's as well - his eight...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! I can't think of a better present you could give her than being her and being sober ;-)

Callas 01-08-2020 11:11 AM

Congratulations, very well done and thank you for all the good support on this forum. For many of us it is very needed. It is also so uplifting to see such success stories.

Kaneda8888 01-08-2020 11:26 AM

Hey Scott

Well done on reaching 7 years. I trust there will be an endless stream of anniversaries to come.

Facing reality is indeed the big challenge. For me, having faith and patience helps a lot. Not easy though I have discovered that its not easy for everyone including non-alcoholics !

All the very best to you

PhoenixJ 01-08-2020 11:45 AM

Great post, Scott.

Sushiroll 01-08-2020 12:11 PM

Congrats on 7 years Scott.
I'm not one for resolutions either.
Mindset trumps date.

Dee74 01-08-2020 12:42 PM

Congrats on 7 years Scott and a big personal thank you for all you do here :)

D

Zebra1275 01-09-2020 06:05 AM

Congratulations on 7 years!

MLD51 01-09-2020 09:37 AM

Congratulations on 7 years!

Obladi 01-09-2020 10:26 AM

Scott, congratulations on your anniversary.

O

sugarbear1 01-09-2020 03:43 PM

Congratulations!

Tetrax 01-09-2020 05:13 PM

Wise words and many congrats!