SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   The Magic of Sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/444836-magic-sobriety.html)

Rockbottom1964 01-08-2020 12:54 AM

The Magic of Sobriety

Here's a few that comes to mind....

You don’t have trouble falling asleep
You have dreams – not nightmares
You wake up feeling good and looking forward to your day
You know you did nothing stupid the previous day
You don’t cringe about the texts you sent on your phone last night
Your body doesn’t have that sour smell
There's still money in your wallet
You don’t have to stand two yards away from people when you talk, afraid they can smell the booze on your breath
You don’t have to wonder if you’re slurring your words
You don’t have to lie about why your hand shakes when you sign something
You’re amazed at the amount of energy you have
Using your brain isn’t an effort; you’re actually surprised at how b***** clever you really are...:lmao

Post yours, and let’s see how many bits of magic we can come up with…:grouphug:

daisy1 01-08-2020 02:48 AM

Wonderful relief that I have no fear anymore, mainly about withdrawals and how I'm going to be able to obtain alcohol to stop them. It's BLISS :-)

shortstop81 01-08-2020 03:40 AM

I don't have to remember where I hid my stash of cans & bottles, then worry about sneaking them out of the house to put in a random dumpster...

Man, life is just so much EASIER sober!

Callas 01-08-2020 04:59 AM

Not looking like an alcoholic. Clear skin, eyes. And yes, not worrying about who around you can smell last night’s whiskey. Being able to drive anywhere at any time not having to call a taxi or get a lift. Quiet confidence is one’s actions and decisions. A sense of achievement. Giving up one’s favorite hobby and companion and crutch is hard.

August252015 01-08-2020 05:25 AM

Love these practical examples of the magic! Such freedom in our daily lives when none of this stuff is dragging us down - and lots of stuff is buoying our good life.

I'll add a few mental and emotional ones -
I don't create (as many) dramatic scenarios.
I am better at acting not reacting - learning that I can't control my first thought, but can my second thought and first action.

I am much less selfish and I am more aware of how my behavior impacts others.

That freedom to be who I am and not have it muddled with alcohol!

Zebra1275 01-08-2020 05:35 AM

I have more time.

I don't waste time driving around to different stores to buy booze.
I don't waste time drinking and trying to reach a desired state of euphoria.
I don't waste time the next day trying to recover from my drinking.

I don't waste time trying to remember what happened the night before.
I don't waste time trying to remember where I hid booze and stuff from the night before.
I don't waste time trying to think of things to say to people in an effort to hide my problem.

Notch8 01-08-2020 01:59 PM

Its amazing how much energy I put into buying liquor, smuggling it in the house, keeping it hidden.... and then hiding the drinking part plus disposing of the empties. I'm 2.5 weeks into it and I'm still shocked at all the extra time I have in the evenings.

Sushiroll 01-08-2020 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by shortstop81 (Post 7353816)

Man, life is just so much EASIER sober!

I agree.
It's not easy but definitely easier.

Kaily 01-08-2020 09:40 PM

I am able to look after my dogs properly with regular walks, food and cuddles.

The recycling bin no longer makes the noise of shame when emptied by the bin men.

I can drive anytime without worrying if I am over the limit.

My liver no longer hurts.

I am no longer a bloated mess.

Rockbottom1964 01-09-2020 01:09 AM

I hear you about the liver, Kaily. Mine still huts - it probably will for another few months. I hope it gets better. Bloated with fluids? I began passing a really large amount of water after about the first ten days. Something you don't mention is the blotchy looking face; gods- I was scared to look in a mirror. But that, as well, gets better for me. Every day.

Derringer 01-09-2020 01:55 AM

I can trust a fart again 😂

I don't wake up thinking about suicide.