Notices

Got the munchies all the time...

Old 01-02-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got the munchies all the time...

It seems I’m hungry all of the time. It began about two weeks after I became sober, and it’s really an ongoing thing. Chips, nuts, sweets, chocolate, cookies, you name it. I also seem to eat a lot more during the day, whereas before, I mostly only ate at night. On top of the munchies, I really guzzle a lot of cold-drinks: Sprite, Coke, etc.
I’m really starting to worry that I might become a fat slob, instead of a drunken one… I know its early days (day 22) but will the craving for food stop? On the plus-side, at least I have begun exercising a couple of weeks ago: walks and body-resistance exercises. I feel great compared to what I used to when I was high on alcohol most of the time – or hung-over, but I do worry about the craving for food and sugar thing…
Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, this is a very common occurrence after quitting - especially with sugar. All those empty calories we are not consuming anymore can make us crave certain foods.

If it becomes an issue you can't control or starts causing health issues please do see a doctor, but maybe try mixing in some healthy food and moderate exercise. Most junk food is quick burning fuel so you tend to crave it. Fruits and vegetables or other healthy alternatives tend to stay with you and satisfy your hunger longer too.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m 16 days in and it’s the same for me but I resist. I have to. I’ve gained 35 pounds in the past year from the booze and crappy food.

What has really worked for me is water. I drink a gallon a day now. It fills me up and reduces any cravings. Sure I’m using the bathroom a lot more but that just gets more steps in

A week ago I was asking when the appetite comes back and now I want to eat all the time. The body is a funny and confusing thing.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the same thing happen my first 6 months sober, guzzled coffee, biscuits, chocolate, potato chips, soft drinks and energy drinks.

Gained some weight of course.

I think it was mainly a reaction to the lack of sleep and lethargy.

Then thankfully I started sleeping better, the junk craving subsided to be replaced by a tremendous thirst for water. I think this was my body starting to heal properly and the weight dropped off again slowly.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Moderation in all we do is important. However,
learning how to remain sober by building a strong
solid recovery foundation with many helpful tools
and knowledge available to all of us has to come first.

That task is huge in itself.

Learning how to eat healthy for life is also just
as important when living a recovery life from
addiction.

It's never too late to learn something new. Right?

There are lots of healthy foods and drinks available
to all of us to achieve better health and make us feel
good inside too.

And, in the long run, we can avoid expensive medical
bills down the line. Small steps, like filling a bowl with
fresh fruit to sit on your counter for a healthier snack.

Do lots of research on what foods are better for you
instead of the junk foods which are loaded with preservatives,
and unhealthy ingredients in them that make us feel sluggish
and cause unwanted weight.

Pick up jogging or lifting weights.

Dont forget to stay connected to your recovery
lifelines in recovery like us here in SR for suggestions,
guidance, support and understanding to help you reach
healthy happy goals in the long run.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What you are experiencing is typical.

I wasn't concerned about it, I was more concerned with staying sober.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No worries, go nuts with it. There will come a time, maybe a few months in, where your mind and body will start to reboot and you will naturally begin to eat healthier. Rockstar energy drinks and Taco Bell drive thru were my friend for a while, but it kept me from drinking, so I went with it.

About six months in was when I started to taper off the junk food. Your body will tell you when it's time.

SC
Old 01-03-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It comes back to the reason for alcoholism, to try and fill the God sized hole in the soul. Booze used to fill it then it stopped working. Many folks find other things like drugs, food, sugar, gambling and so on. It is like switching addictions, always trying to fill that hole in the soul. Do you eat to satisfy a physical hunger, or a spiritual one? Is there some kind of relief to be found in feeling full?
Old 01-03-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It might help you if you temper your negative self talk. "Fat slob" is another of those shaming terms that can replace the mean things you say to yourself already about drinking in excess. Over eating/gaining weight/being fat is not in the same category of danger or legal exposure as being drunken. As your mind and body gets used to no alcohol, you should return to your regular pattern of eating. For now maybe, eat that ice cream :-)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

watch for candida with all that sugar! try adding veggies and fruits and eat healthfully. Drink more water and Gatorade type drinks to replace lost electrolytes.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Craving sugar seems normal but it has to be watched. No point replacing one problem with another. Best to nip this in the bud before it gets out of control.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is sugar and the body craves sugar for a while. I suggest indulging yourself until you're on sober footing. What are you doing for your recovery? Meetings?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No, NYCD. No meetings here. Cold-turkey, like every other time. That, and SR.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, JK, I was a drunk, and I'm not afraid to admit it; a slob? Well? I believe there is nothing dignified in being a drunk, hence the "slob" part. And swopping one for the other, when one has a choice in the matter, is just as "slobbish" methinks...
Old 01-07-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
It seems I’m hungry all of the time. It began about two weeks after I became sober, and it’s really an ongoing thing. Chips, nuts, sweets, chocolate, cookies, you name it. I also seem to eat a lot more during the day, whereas before, I mostly only ate at night. On top of the munchies, I really guzzle a lot of cold-drinks: Sprite, Coke, etc.
I’m really starting to worry that I might become a fat slob, instead of a drunken one… I know its early days (day 22) but will the craving for food stop? On the plus-side, at least I have begun exercising a couple of weeks ago: walks and body-resistance exercises. I feel great compared to what I used to when I was high on alcohol most of the time – or hung-over, but I do worry about the craving for food and sugar thing…
same! I’ve been eating over 2500 calories a day and this is not good since I am overweight and normally eat about 1500 a day. I’ve been working a program at my gym which helped but it ended for the holidays and doesn’t start again for 2 more weeks. I am very worried about this a I’ve been binging and gaining weight. Almost as bad as drinking for your body and I feel like I’m at a loss.