Notices

Just Want to Sleep

Old 01-02-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Want to Sleep

Hello,
Sober 5 days and I just want to sleep. Emotionally, I feel pretty good, though I have been easily agitated lately. When morning comes the alarm nearly doesn't wake me. And in the evening, I'm ready to go to sleep around 6pm. I surely don't need 13 hours of sleep every night. I reckon this subsides after a while?
Old 01-02-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my early days of sobriety I took refuge in sleep no matter how may hours because I was struggling with the low grade depression that can plague an alcoholic in early recovery. If I went to bed early I didn't have to deal with cravings.
As long as you are sober do what you have to do to keep it that way. You will find a lot of help on this site. Stay close
Old 01-02-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey, congratulations on 5 days!
Starting 2020 with a head start I see.

Sure, needing extra sleep is perfectly natural. Lots of newly sober people would envy you for being able to sleep, so revel in it. This is highly likely to balance out in fairly short order.

Best to you
O
Old 01-02-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, your body is healing. Things can be all over the map for a while - i was the opposite and had some horrible insomnia issues for quite some time after quitting.

It's also never a bad idea to get a general checkup after quitting. Malnutrition, and dehydration are common in those who drink a lot.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days! But I’m confused. You can or can not sleep? Your post reads as if you are sleeping for 13 hours? Or just tossing and turning for 13 hours?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that is your body’s way of healing. You have finally given it a break from processing the alcohol so now it can work on repairing any of your other systems that have taken a hit over the course of time.