Notices

Thanks for this year

Old 12-31-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks for this year

Happy new year and thank you all for supporting me on this sober journey. Today is 239 days. So eight months. Or, as I like to think of it, two days behind SoberRican who is leading the way. SoberRican, your enthusiasm and confidence have been inspiring. Thank you particularly.

Every day I seem to learn something new. Every day. I read on here someone the other day that answered the question about ‘what they do at night’ that they just now go to bed at 8:30/9 because they have a very full day ahead. That was eye-opening to me. Of course. Why the heck do I need to be up until midnight?? I had felt like I was cheating by going to bed supposedly early. Now I just happily think of it as “on time”. Such a small thing, but someone’s words helped positively reframe this for me.

I’ve saved a ton of money, bought a home, got a dog, lost weight, and accomplished countless more since I’ve gotten sober. I won’t say life is perfect. Sure, sometime I miss cocktail hour. But, it was NEVER an hour for me. I feel like the main struggle of my life is over. A struggle I hadn’t realized it was so overwhelming. I’m so grateful. Life might not be perfect right now, but it is real. And filled with hope. If I started drinking again, nothing would happen for the next year but me sitting on my couch drinking and perhaps losing my job and perhaps something much much worse. Now, I don’t know what’s ahead in 2020. It’s exciting.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lovely stuff. Have a great 2020 SoHard!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
Lovely stuff. Have a great 2020 SoHard!
thank you!! I appreciate all your support!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 12-31-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 239 days Sohard, and thank you for your contributions here on SR as well - you have come a long way since you have joined here. May your 2020 be filled with learning and peace.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on 239 days Sohard, and thank you for your contributions here on SR as well - you have come a long way since you have joined here. May your 2020 be filled with learning and peace.
Thanks so much, Scott. I remember (years ago) posting a question. I wondered why I desperately wanted to quit, but I had this uncomfortable, unbalanced feeling that I couldn’t quite pinpoint or explain which was making my goal difficult, and I wondered if anyone could relate. You piped up something along the lines of ‘yeah, we can all relate, it’s called addiction’. Lol. God I knew nothing back then. I was genuinely confused why I couldn’t just up and quit. I thank god for this place and all I’ve learned. Thank you again.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy NY to you, SH.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

great to read such a positive post, Sohard. congratulations on 8 months and starting the next decade with this outlook!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Fantastic Sohard.
I'm sure 2020 will be even better than 2019.
Happy new year
Old 12-31-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post - and congrats on 8 months sohard

D
Old 01-01-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, Sohard! Congratulations on 8 months, your blossoming in sobriety is palpable in your posts. Thank you for your wonderful words of support last year .
Old 01-01-2020, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you 🙏 all for the support! Got up this morning and had a coffee, read the paper, and walked my pup. Thinking of all the people hung over this morning and so glad I’m not one of them. Today would’ve been wasted for me (like 1000s of other days I’ve spent sleeping off the previous night’s drinking). I don’t plan to actually DO anything today (I’m just starting a Netflix show a co worker has been harassing me to watch , going to the grocery store, and finally unpacking from my holiday trip). So, I’m just unwinding and living. But it feels so damn good. And productive in its own way.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time, I'm just behind you at 237 days now.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Congrats on the sober time, I'm just behind you at 237 days now.
FANTASTIC! You should be so proud of yourself. 👏👏👏👏I read someone say that getting sober is like turning around a huge steam ship. I felt the same way. It was, and it would be WAY too hard to turn it back and in the wrong direction. So, we got this!
Old 01-01-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome! I can't wait to see what 8 months feels like.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABCCuddly View Post
Awesome! I can't wait to see what 8 months feels like.
Please report back when you get there! We’re all in this together!
Old 01-01-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

FANTASTIC! You should be so proud of yourself. 👏👏👏👏I read someone say that getting sober is like turning around a huge steam ship. I felt the same way. It was, and it would be WAY too hard to turn it back and in the wrong direction. So, we got this!

Thanks, I had many months in the past previously (on a few occasions) But I suppose the big thing this time is I actually want to stay stopped now....
Old 01-03-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Thanks, I had many months in the past previously (on a few occasions) But I suppose the big thing this time is I actually want to stay stopped now....

I was reading your other thread. I know you can do this. And yes, it’s all about the wanting to stay stopped. I tried quite a few times to quit because I knew I had to. It wasn’t until I wanted to that things actually changed.

I’m so proud of my 242 days but I know I’ll feel a great sense of relief at 365. So silly, I should feel all that relief now - since I know I’m DONE - but the mind works the way it works.

A drink sounds like a horrible idea to me right now, bc the second I think of one I also play the tape forward. The next day (or even weeks or years!) would be hell.

I read everything on SR all the time. People’s different ways of thinking about addiction really helped me to focus. Someone explained that quitting drinking is like learning a new language. It is so complex, but it’s better not to ever use your first language (drinking!) or it’s harder to adapt to the second one (sobriety!). That made sense to me and helped motivate me through some tricky moments of the getting-sober-obstacle-course (yet ANOTHER metaphor ). They worked and are working for me, though.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! That is an amazing achievement!!! :-)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnyCoastK View Post
Congratulations!!! That is an amazing achievement!!! :-)
Thank you! I had a Shirley temple with my 8 year old niece tonight while the adults ordered wine. I actually really enjoyed it!😂