Notices

How much money did you waste on booze in a year?

Old 01-01-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

At least $900 a month, what a waste...
Old 01-01-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
At least $900 a month, what a waste...
It’s sickening to think about but provides another valid reason to stop.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

1420 days sober. I was spending (conservatively) about fifteen dollars a day on booze, that's over $22,000 I've saved since February 2016. That's a nice little Sobriety Dividend.
That doesn't count the money I've saved by not making bad financial decisions, having to pay late fees because I forgot to pay bills (because drunk), and drunk buying. For instance, I have a very nice leatherbound set of Robert Louis Stevenson books I have no recollection of ordering. I think for some reason I wanted to read Treasure Island at 2 in the morning, and that's how that happened. I also impulse bought a $1500 espresso maker, while drunk, of course. It's nice enough, but I never use it. Stupid, stupid decisions.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
It’s sickening to think about but provides another valid reason to stop.
Yep, not throwing hard earned money away for the pleasure of poisoning one's self is a bonus... aargh, why oh why do we do it...

Old 01-03-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Samantha

For me it wasn’t really about the money. Minimum $0 a week to max about $100 if I bought something nice or went to the bar. I’m general $25 a month for a bottle of vodka.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Nearly $5,000 a year. Holy crap!
Old 01-04-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
For instance, I have a very nice leatherbound set of Robert Louis Stevenson books I have no recollection of ordering. I think for some reason I wanted to read Treasure Island at 2 in the morning, and that's how that happened. I also impulse bought a $1500 espresso maker, while drunk, of course. It's nice enough, but I never use it. Stupid, stupid decisions.
Sorry but I found this hilarious only because I was doing the same thing. Never even thought about the financial ramifications of drunk buying.

I got heavy into sports cards again (why?). I think I read one article by some nitwit about them being a good investment. Spoiler alert: they’re not.

I probably spent upwards of $10,000 on them and estimate getting $3,000 back. Yeah, great investment.

Your espresso maker better also be a drone that flies to Columbia to pick out only the finest beans for $1500.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

An app that tracks it is a great idea. It quickly stunned me. Also motivated me about what that money was being used for on this side of life.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just in the (almost) two weeks I've been sober, I've saved enough money to buy another pair of work/hiking boots... and that only cost me a third of what I saved! The boots were on sale, but still, I count that as a win.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This high class bar my sister in law used to go to people would run tabs in excess of 40 or even 50k a year. Granted they are probably buying other other people drinks as well but still. At a pint a day plus more on weekends I was spending $100 a week at least. So probably 6k a year. All I know is since I quit 7 months ago my bank account has never been bigger. Seriously. I used to have maybe 300 in the bank and these days I actually saved over 20k just since I have quit drinking. My biggest motivator really.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Early on it was explained to me that "drama" meant a lot more than throwing tantrums and slamming door kinda stuff (um, I did that too but bear with me here).

Money was a perfect example they used to illustrate this. Assuming we DO know what our expenses like rent are (the ones that are the same every month!), we plan on having the money by whatever date of the month works for our job, to pay on the 1st. But the week before we know we need it, we "decide" it makes perfect sense to spend half that amount on [drinking, drugs, or RL Stevenson collections, say]. Five days before rent is due - or 8, if you push it til the late fee date- we are scrambling to figure out how to pay it. The DRAMA of this completely self-created scenario and the double-pressure created to meet an obligation we KNOW is due is part of how we live.

I had wide margins for money for a long time....didn't see this as drama bc there was plenty. Then, as time and consequences went on, margins narrowed to near breaking and shell games like paying something on a credit card so I had cash for something else, or lying that I had a psych appointment my parents paid for so I could use the cash for rent...plenty of stuff in between and worse, even.

The mental gymnastics I DON'T have to do related in any way to alcohol/money connection are one of the biggest real-life-things I am free of now. We have enough, and that's largely based on how we make clear decisions on how we spend it! Oh, and we actually go out to a nice place when we WANT to eat that food. And the bill is actually reasonable, and the receipt in a wallet not crumbled at the bottom of a purse assuming I kept it. Just one example
Old 01-05-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I spent an ave. of $30-35 a day on drinking or say 12 grand a year.

Maybe 3/4 in liquor stores and 1/4 in bars the last three years of drinking.

Before that the other way around.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I spent probably half my pay every week for 15 years on average, so that's gotta be $25000 a year x 15 (again average)

Then I somehow managed to get married and have kids so it dropped dramatically from bar prices to liqour store prices, but probably still $100 a week for another ten years.

Good grief, 😣🤯💩😭
Old 01-06-2020, 02:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

17x365×10=

~$62,050
That's not accounting for cannabis which is definitely more.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:56 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I actually wasn't spending huge amounts of $$ on booze. I was a binger, not an everyday drinker. I'm also a relatively small person, so I didn't drink huge amounts to begin with. But the consequences for my binges became more and more devastating to my physical and emotional health.

More than anything wasting my time being either drunk or in withdrawal made it almost impossible for me to function on a high level. My personal life was problematic, and I was spinning my wheels at work. It's amazing how much that has changed since getting sober.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

In Ireland there is or used to be expression "he drank the farm". I used to be sceptical that anyone could drink that much. But now I see it's completely possible that a farmer could lose his farm if he turned to alcoholic drinking. For me it's not the cost of the alcohol per se, it's the indirect costs of an alcoholic lifestyle in terms of bad or questionable decisions.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

^^^Absolutely! I made increasingly bad decisions about all aspects of money in/out as my drinking escalated. Pretty sure I wouldn't have had my gas cut off at one point because I rolled the dice on bill paying if I hadn't begun to make increasingly poor choices....
Old 01-07-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm retired. The last 10 years of sobriety helped to fund my retirement plan.