Notices

Needing support

Old 12-22-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing support

Hi everyone!

I am an old timer. I lived on this forum everyday until about five years ago. By that time life was going pretty good. I felt calm and confident with my sobriety and life was busy pulling me in multiple directions. So, I left.
I am happy to say it's been over 8 years now. But, my life crashed and blew apart in July of this year. My husband died from suicide. And my life has been in a tailspin ever since. I haven't slipped not once. Even though the crushing pain of grief is almost more than I can bear at times. I belong to an online group for survivors, medicated and in therapy too.
But, I have come to realize that a support system was missing. I needed a sobriety group to. So, here I am folks. Rather back where I started and I must say simply reaching out and saying I need help has helped. And I am so glad I am back.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you and your husband. Your grief is still raw so I think it's good you're talking about it. You will find a lot of support here. Well done on 8 years.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

happybeingme - I'm very glad you decided to post about what happened. I'm sorry for the tragic circumstances that led you back, but happy you wanted to be part of us again.

I hope being here will help ease, in some small way, the pain you've been dealing with. Congratulations for holding on to your 8 yrs. of sobriety. We care and we want to help.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back. So sorry for your loss and pain.

Originally Posted by happybeingme View Post
I haven't slipped not once.
I admire your strength!
Old 12-22-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss but I'm glad you came here for support happybeingme - 8 years is a great achievement, especially in the face of such loss.

you'll find friends here

D
Old 12-22-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear of your loss! But we're glad to see you......kudos for staying sober!
Old 12-22-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

thank you for rejoining us.
I'm sure we will benefit from your presence as much as you will from ours. You know this is that kind of place.

I can't even imagine what this year must have been like for you and think it's very wise to surround the wagons, particularly as we move into the next year.

O
Old 12-22-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Prayers.

There is no issue booze cant make worse. Take the most fun evening and add booze...the next day is not so fun. Stay clean and the next day is just happy memories.

Anyway...

I am feeling better than ever and of course my addict brain wants to dance with the evil again. Sr keeps me refreshed and reminded about the horrors of booze addiction.

My step son talked about suicide some about 6 years ago. We got him a psychologist and he almost got transferred to a psychiatrist. Somehow counseling fixed him up...so far.

Where can I go to learn more about what makes folks decide to take their own life?

Are there signs or things we can do to help them?

I remember my wife was basically his prisoner. He wielded his mental health threats like a sword.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Prayers.

There is no issue booze cant make worse. Take the most fun evening and add booze...the next day is not so fun. Stay clean and the next day is just happy memories.

Anyway...

I am feeling better than ever and of course my addict brain wants to dance with the evil again. Sr keeps me refreshed and reminded about the horrors of booze addiction.

My step son talked about suicide some about 6 years ago. We got him a psychologist and he almost got transferred to a psychiatrist. Somehow counseling fixed him up...so far.

Where can I go to learn more about what makes folks decide to take their own life?

Are there signs or things we can do to help them?

I remember my wife was basically his prisoner. He wielded his mental health threats like a sword.

Thanks.
afsp.org is probably the best resource for suicide education. Thank you for being curious about learning more. My husband had untreated ADHD and was an alcoholic too. This put him at a very high risk of suicide. At the time I just didn't know that. After his death a secret life was discovered. Just another type of addiction but it threw me for a loop. The number one cause of suicide is depression. The second is addiction. And people just don't know that.
those of us left behind are called suicide survivors. Statistically we are at the highest risk of suicide and addiction in the aftermath. The death is traumatic and many of us have PTSD too.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you. I don't think there's better support than AA, where I've shared heartache and pain when I need help. I guess what we realize that taking a drink will do nothing to fix the problem or even alleviate the pain. A big hug.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here, and so sorry about your loss.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I admire your strength, and I'm sorry for the lose of your husband.
You are a very strong person, I admire you and wish you peace and continued sobriety.
We're here to support you, so welcome back.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you

Everyone. It feels good to be home again. Living a sober life is always better when there are others to share the journey with you. I am grateful for all of you
Old 12-24-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi HBM and another "welcome back". Very very sorry for your loss.

To me the fact that you left SR for a while makes perfect sense. Things were good, you stopped drinking and had a good amount of sober time between you and your last drink. The important fact is that when life took a bad turn you came back. When I walked back into AA in 2015 after leaving over 20 years earlier I knew one thing. I would be welcomed.

All that said I have a request to anyone reading this who has successfully stopped drinking, has a decent period of sober time and is thinking of leaving the SR forums. Please come back occasionally (annually?) and let us know how you are doing. I want to hear your story of continued success in sobriety. It's helpful to hear from the folks who have succeeded. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

((hug)) I understand your pain all to well, welcome back.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
((hug)) I understand your pain all to well, welcome back.
thank you for the welcome back and I am sorry you have known this pain as well
Old 12-24-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there.

I’m sorry. I know how your feel.

The pain from losing my father was intense. I stayed sober through it all because I have to stay sober, I don’t drink any more to deal with things but it was like living in a black hole.

I’ve needed to be here to have support as well. There are a lot of people who understand.

I hope you can find some good friends in real life to help you feel better as well.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

HBM...I can't imagine what you must be going through as I know how individual tragic loss is, my own experiences (we lost our son) a long time ago. And of course this season makes everything more poignant, if that is indeed possible. Hopefully you are regrouping over time and your sobriety will be one of many strengths you (re)discover to get you through this time...all the very best....ND
Old 12-25-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HBM,

I am heart broken to hear of your loss, and ND's loss of a child and Sass's of her father.

Glad you are here. We are all here. Together. What this place is all about at the holidays and 365.

Thinking of you.