Notices

When does the appetite come back?

Old 12-21-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does the appetite come back?

Not necessarily craving food but being able to eat a full meal.

Example: I was out to eat tonight that I was craving all day. Got a full plate and was absolutely stuffed after about 5 bites. Is this normal?

FYI I’m 4 days sober.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 4 days Vinny. It takes time for our bodies to heal, both physically and mentally. I had some pretty bad gastro issues myself, it took several weeks - maybe even a few months to start getting back to regular/normal function. I see from your other thread over in newcomers that you had a pretty serious episode/detox - it's probably going to take a bit longer than 4 days to recover unfortunately. It's also a good idea to see your doc and get a full checkup after quitting anyway, and you could mention this issue if it doesn't improve in short order.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some times I had a ravenous appetite from Day One and sometimes it took a few days for me to be able to eat substantially.

I hope things will improve for you in the coming days,

D
Old 12-21-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. All withdrawal issues have pretty much subsided but I’m excited to eat again and have a normal stomach again! I know it’ll take time. Currently seeing a doctor once a week to monitor. Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-26-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went sober for a hair over a month last year, but it was different for me. Actively drinking again and what you described is how I am now. I can't even eat a full plate of food. I can be starving all day, then soon as I go to eat it's like my appetite just goes away. I take like 5 or so bites and I can't eat anymore.

When I became sober for that month last year, my appetite came back strong. Seemed like I had a bottomless pit. I remember going to a buffet with my parents and I can't tell you how many trips I made to get another plate of food, I'd say at least 4-5 trips.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Devious, what you just explained was exactly me. I can now say on day 9 of sobriety, I literally could eat all day and feel great. Problem is I’m trying to lose the weight I put on from all the booze. Ha just can’t win!

You are actively drinking but are reading and posting here so I’m guessing it’s in your mind to start a day 1 again. I hope you do!
Old 12-26-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
Devious, what you just explained was exactly me. I can now say on day 9 of sobriety, I literally could eat all day and feel great. Problem is I’m trying to lose the weight I put on from all the booze. Ha just can’t win!

You are actively drinking but are reading and posting here so I’m guessing it’s in your mind to start a day 1 again. I hope you do!
It's my hope to start day 1 again soon. I'm at that point I know I need to quit. My plan is once I get paid at the end of the month, going to start seeking treatment.

Often though I feel hungry and it's like as soon as I go to eat, I completely lose my appetite and I can never finish a plate of food. I've even had family and friends comment about it saying things about how I've hardly eaten anything off my plate, and that I'm wasting so much food. But it's like literally, I take 10 bites and if I eat anything more I'll puke. I can't do it.

It even dictates going out to eat with friends and family, because sometimes someone will suggest going to a buffet and I refuse because I don't want to pay $14+ for an all you can eat buffet knowing that I'm literally going to take 5 bites of food and be stuffed. Not worth the money. So I'm having to come up with excuses to eat elsewhere, where I can get small portions.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to all that. I always told people that i had a small stomach and just couldn’t eat that much. A lot of people were jealous that I had that “problem”. It was obviously a complete lie. I didn’t want to eat because when I got home, it would take way more for me to get drunk.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vinny, for me the first 2 weeks I was like that also. After that my appetite went through the roof and It seemed like I couldn't get enough to eat for a while.
Peace Tc
Old 12-27-2019, 11:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I need to get sober soon, today was another reminder why. I was hungry, went out to eat and got sirloin tips and smashed potatoes with a roll... and again suddenly the appetite went away. There was like 15 tips on the plate, I ate 5 of the tips, a bit of the potatoes a couple of bites of the roll and that was it. I was full, and it pissed me off because the tips were so damn good... I paid $15 to eat 5 tips, not even half of the smashed potatoes and only a few bites of the roll.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What is stopping you from getting sober? I had a million excuses and finally got to where you are “I need to get sober”.

My life has taken a complete 180. But sticking to the topic of this thread, my appetite has come back in full force. Seriously, all I think about right now is food. And on top of that, I’m finishing all my meals as well.

Maybe post in the newcomers forum your story and what your going through. I posted my vulnerable post about my pathetic life while drinking and the support really helped me.