Notices

Six years and five months yesterday

Old 12-21-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six years and five months yesterday

I didn't have time to come on here yesterday and post. But the day came and went. For some odd reason though, I got this resentful feeling this afternoon. Nothing bad has happened and I don't have any cravings but I started feeling down because of my past drinking and all the heartache and misery I created for myself and my family. I was mugged twice when I was drunk many years ago and lost some valuable items in the process. I am lucky I didn't get seriously hurt or killed. I had DUI's and spent tons of money on those two incidents. I should be grateful that I didn't kill someone but for some reason I coldn't shake the feeling of misery this afternoon. I think I'm just tired. I haven't drank anything in almost seven years and I don't plan on going back to it, but for some reason I can't help but feel disappointed in myself today. I'm not really feeling sorry for myself, I own up to my own choices, but I can't help feeling I wish iI hadn't done all this drinking. In fact I wish I never picked up a bottle in the first place. So if you feel like drinking. Don't do it, It's a colossal waste of money, time and not to mention what it does to your mental. health. Here I am almost seven years later and still thinking about stupid things I did back in the day. I'll be alright, after I listen to some great music on my old fashioned stereo. Yes I'm a geezer. Lol.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Tnman
D
Old 12-21-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, congratulations on your sober time. You've come a long way and should be proud of that, and that you're alive to tell about it, rather than dwelling on the past.
Be proud of yourself for all you've overcome. Six years five months is a long time.
No sense dwelling on the past or choose to relive it. We all have a past and if I sat around thinking of my drunken past I think I'd loose my mind.
Be happy you're sober, that's its own reward. I'm proud of you, I know how hard it is to deal with the past. And boy do I have one.

You're a new person now. A sober one. Listen to that person rather than dwelling on something that nothing can change.
You're doing great. Hang in there and think good thoughts.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What helps me is writing a gratitude list.......grab a pen and piece of paper, list all the things I'm grateful for. It shifts my thinking every time from "poor me" to a much more positive place.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

It took me almost 5 years of waking up in the middle of the night with the feeling of dread you describe, then, one day, I was able to say "Thank You God, that I am not that person anymore." and actually go back to sleep instead of getting up no matter the time. Sometimes I get that sick feeling in my gut, then I remember that I am not that person and thank God again.

tnman1967....You are not that person anymore! You are a success story!! A GOOD example!! I am sure you have helped many by sharing your story and showing what can be overcome by getting and staying sober. Don't let the disease rent space in your head for free, kick that freeloader out!

Cathy
Old 12-26-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the sober time!