Notices

Relief -- Family, Love, and Perspective

Old 12-11-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relief -- Family, Love, and Perspective

Hi friends! Well, I came clean to my family--I told them about the second DUI. They know I am going to jail for 24 days, followed by house arrest.

I have relapsed over and over again this past year. I met my best friend in AA a week into sobriety after rehab. She (let's call her "Katie") drove me to detox. Katie had 15 years of sobriety.

I keep to myself. I was supposed to move in with Katie and her roommate. Both were sober. We did a week "trial" run.

They weren't sober.

I locked my door. I called the police on Katie. She was so drunk, she was pounding on doors and cursing. Of course, there was no WiFi because she spent that money all on booze.

But, I had my Big Book.

I read the Big Book all night. I have to admit, I never ACTUALLY read it before. But, the stories gave me hope. They still do.

No more lies. No more manipulation. This demon, alcohol, possessed my best friend.

I'm an alcoholic, and that's ok. Jail will pass. House arrest will pass. I don't own a car anymore.

My family loves me and supports me.

Just wanted to share--

Aspiring Writer

They
Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Old 12-12-2019, 01:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for the speedbumps on the way but you're sounding positive aspiringwriter

D
Old 12-12-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the best with it, Aspiringwriter
Old 12-12-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AW,

Your post reminds me just how devious and dangerous this monster is.

Why would she lie to you when she knows you will find out and put you and your sobriety in danger? We all did it BTW, but why???

In my view, because alcohol makes alcoholics like us stupid among many other worse things. I was so stupid -- drunk as hell but trying to convince people they were wrong -- so dumb. Throwing bottles in the bushes, etc. etc.

I am so proud of you. If you have a minute, read Grateful's inspiring post of today, you will get there.

Thanks for the post!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes.

Your last few sentences held a lot of truth. You’re right. Jail will pass. This stress will pass. You are an alcoholic, and that’s ok.

All of this sounds like riding the wave in sobriety. This is kind of a big wave. It’s tough to find out something like that about a best friend, that she may not be a safe space for you, for awhile or ever....while you ride the waves in sobriety, an alcoholic living sober.

Keep calm and sober on.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience in early recovery, am so grateful I didn't pick up. It's one day at a time! I kept the focus on not drinking TODAY and decades passed. A big hug.