Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'v been under the weather and it brought back memories

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful

Nothing life threatening, but I had some type of respiratory illness. Doc wasn't sure if it was an infection or brought on by allergies but I had all the symptoms of bronchitis and asthma wrapped up into one...except I had no fever and my white count was fine so it wasn't bacterial in nature.

But he put me on antibiotics as a precaution because of my heart condition (got a couple valves that are not OEM and a gor-tex aortic graft as well). Augmentin...highest dose...ughh. Also prednisone burst therapy (very high dose, short duration, almost no taper). Topped it off with a short course of Tussionex to help stamp out the incessant cough.

Well the combination of those 3 drugs was like a freight train rumbling through my belly for 10 days. It reminded me kind of how I felt in past withdrawals. I'm starting to feel better but I'm still lagging as my body ramps back up making it's own cortisol (prednisone suppresses that). While not fun at all it was a good reminder of how I walked around feeling every morning before I took my first drink of the day (nauseous, dehydrated and fatigued is no way to wake up lol). It also gave me some gratitude that a) I didn't inflict this on myself like in the past and b) that it was temporary.

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

It also gave me some gratitude that a) I didn't inflict this on myself like in the past and b) that it was temporary.
Good share, thanks. Glad you are starting to feel better. Yeah even being sick in recovery is better than it was when I was drinking.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling a little better Grungehead

D
Old 12-04-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know that feeling. Any time I get sick, it reminds me of going thru withdrawals and feeling like death warmed over.

Hope you get better quickly.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sorry to hear you have been unwell Grungehead. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you're on the mend, G.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was floored the first time I got sick after becoming sober. It was the first time I really connected that I didn’t like being sick yet purposely made myself feel that way for years. So twisted.

Im sorry you are feeling poorly and hope you feel better soon. Thanks for your share.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm pretty much back to normal (well as normal as I can be ). The first few days after the end of the prednisone therapy is never fun but my energy is back and I'm back to my daily walks...and without sounding like a cat coughing up a hairball afterwards.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling better, Grunge!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope you are all better here shortly- it can be a good reminder of why we are glad not to be drinking anymore! Take care.