Notices

Tremors - shaking - trembling - shivering

Old 11-27-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tremors - shaking - trembling - shivering

Hi everybody!

First, I have to say that I am very happy that I found a forum which covers alcohol addiction. I have been looking for it for a long time.

Second, I am a 31-years old male and I think I have a serious drinking problem. I drink wine from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. Therefore I drink about 3-4 liters (!!!) of wine daily.

Each morning my first thought is: grab the wine, smoke a couple cigarettes and "enjoy" the day.

I have noticed that I need about half an hour after I wake up to drink cca, 0,75 l of wine to stop the shaking. My tremor has gotten really bad in the last 6 months. I can't even roll myself a cigarette, hold a spoon or a glass.

I have also noticed that I get into withdrawal very early. First thing that happens is sweating. Then comes the tremor which progress from mild to severe. If I am active, this happens at about 2 hours after my last drink, even though I might have drank 2 liters of wine before.

Then nights ... they are awful. If I go into bed at let say 10 pm, I wake up at 3 pm and can't sleep anymore. I have constant adrenaline rushes, I hear the music from outside, I have racing thoughts and I can't wait until the morning comes.

I need help, right? Wine starts to disgust me after a while. But I still keep drinking it just to prevent withdrawals.

So this is my current situation.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Your situation sounds severe; if quitting is your goal, I hope you'd consider medically supervised detox.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I would also suggest a medically supervised detox as alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. I hope you'll see your doctor for help.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree, and there is light after the tunnel.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto what the others have said. It's either a very long tapering schedule or medically supervised withdrawal, otherwise you might not get through it.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don’t usually recommend detox, but this time I think it would be a good idea. You’re going into withdrawal every night. The amounts you drink are high, and you drink daily, so it looks like you haven’t done 24 hours without alcohol in your system for awhile.

The dangers during withdrawal last sometimes up to five days, and you really have no idea what will happen in the meantime.

I quit without detox because I often did 72 hour periods without it, but if I were daily I’d go to the doctor first. It’s the safest way to go about it.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,
I am very glad you have posted. I know the 3am wake up call with racing thoughts. As well as shivering and shaking. It is no way to exist. You have remarked that wine starts to disgust you after awhile. It is not bringing you relief. You are at the point of can not live with it and can not live with out it.
I hope you can go to an ER they can help you detox for the first night and move you into a bed for a safe detox. I think after you are detoxed you will physically feel so much better. Mentally clearer. Emotions will come flooding but at least you can use emotions as a tool to motivate you to live a life you are worthy of.
I hope you keep posting. There is a new comers thread that is there to support you while you are becoming sober. Please keep posting. You are very young you have your whole life ahead of you to live in the solution.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Vino

I'm with the others who said a medically supervised detox would be the first step, just to be safe.

People sometimes have this idea wines not as 'bad' as 'hard liquor' but alcohol withdrawal doesn't care what kind of alcohol you're withdrawing from.

At least see your Dr and talk it out - be safe.

D
Old 11-27-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Glad you posted, Vino. I'm sure you've noticed that you'll find a lot of support here if you chose to take advantage of it.

Yes, you need help.

We're not allowed to give medical advice on this site, so I'll just implore that you get medical help. First off, it sounds like you're in pretty deep and, as others have said, detoxing can be seriously dangerous. But secondly, I've tapered and detoxed many ways with and without medical supervision. Believe me, medical support is far superior. There is really no reason whatsoever to endure the suffering you will by avoiding it (if its available where you are).

Best to you!

O
Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all your answers and I deeply thank to all of you!

It's 7:30 am here where I live. I have been up for 40 minutes and I have already drunk about half a liter of wine and smoke 3 ciggies. Today my shaking wasn't so severe.

I don't know why my brain gets so exited every morning with the thought that I will be able to drink. I don't have a job because I appearently have a very low self-esteem. I don't even search for it. I am destined for destiny. Apathetic, indiferent. Very afraid of withdrawals.

The point is that my doctor tried to help me with quitting alcohol 3 times. He prescribed me some Librium, Seroquel for sleeping and it was easy for the 1st and 2nd time. I saw that the worst is gone in about 5 days. I have managed to quit for 1 week and then stupidly fell of the wagon again. So I am resistant to ask my doctor for another refill. He suggested me a hospital some time ago. I thought that I would be able to do this by myself, but I don't know ... I might really have to check myself into rehab and work through some therapies to get my life back together. Otherwise I don't know ...
Old 11-28-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you are here - I was in a very similar "life" by the end of my drinking, tho wine had turned into vodka. Like Dee said, the type of alcohol doesn't matter. And there's a whole lot to learn about our disease, alcoholism, once we quit.

Since you asked the question, yes, you have a problem like me, and quitting - NOW- is the only way to stop what will only get worse.

I was a life or death case, so speaking from experience AND observing and listening to many others here and IRL - there is always hope if we are alive.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like your doctor is wise Vino, detox and rehab sounds like a good idea to me too. I'm guessing you are at the stage of physical dependence on alcohol, so quitting cold turkey on your own could be quite dangerous. I ended up in the ER because I did not heed the same advice you are being given now. Benzo's like Librium and others are basically alcohol in pill form and are only meant to be taken for short periods of time, and they are highly addictive themselves.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Vino88!

I am going to echo the previous posts and urge you to go for a medically supervised detox preferably followed by a spell of rehab to get you up and running. It will give you a chance to break the cycle you are living in now.

I understand it will feel a bit humiliating for you going back to your doctor again but I feel certain that he or she would be pleased to see you come in voluntarily than find out that you have been admitted to hospital as an accident and emergency patient so I would not be too worried about that Vino. Your comparative youth is a plus factor for you too.

Keep posting, you are not alone in this.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rehab sounds like a good idea to me Vino?

D
Old 11-28-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been thinking of you. Its thanksgiving in the US - maybe a good day to make a change. You doctor sounds like a good person and I agree with others that he will delighted to see you and that a in-patient may be the way to go. For me, the only way out was through.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

How are you today Vino?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad you are here - I was in a very similar "life" by the end of my drinking, tho wine had turned into vodka. Like Dee said, the type of alcohol doesn't matter. And there's a whole lot to learn about our disease, alcoholism, once we quit.

Since you asked the question, yes, you have a problem like me, and quitting - NOW- is the only way to stop what will only get worse.

I was a life or death case, so speaking from experience AND observing and listening to many others here and IRL - there is always hope if we are alive.
That's a great post, August! I know of a guy at my AA meetings who said he had blood pouring from every orifice, and was rushed to hospital where his next of kin was told to prepare themselves for the worst. Before losing consciousness he said he prayed and begged for another chance and swore he'd never drink again. He was lucky, as he has made a full recovery and actually says were it not for that fright he would have continued drinking.

Another guy I know wasn't even an alcoholic, he just drank more than he could handle on Hogmanay and died in his sleep.

Best of luck, Vino. Take your chance, pal!
Old 11-30-2019, 03:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's true - plain fact, indeed- that there are many awful ways to die from any "level" of alcohol abuse. Up to horrific deaths that are not sudden at all.

I don't believe we get infinite chances to quit, as our bodies simply can't take it. And that might be heart attacks, or kidney failure, or a fall while drunk and a broken neck....infinite ways that alcohol can kill us, actually.

It never gets better if an alcoholic keeps drinking. Even "maintaining a relative status quo" keeps getting harder and worse til it's more often unsustainable than not.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Check in when you are able Vino, we are here for moral support.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Vino- wishing you the best. I know from experience that I don’t always like to hear advice given to me, but take a big step back and consider it from various angles. Is there a different Dr you can approach and start with a clean slate and be completely honest with? At least phone in and see what they suggest. Keep posting no matter what....we care and want to stay in touch with you.