Notices

First ever rejection of alcohol dream.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First ever rejection of alcohol dream.

I'm just over 150 days now (hooray) and until then I had always relapsed in my dreams and even then whilst dreaming I was thinking "what are you doing man?". But last night I was dreaming that I went to an event and surrounded by drink and drunk people making a fool of themselves and I actually stayed sober. Now it wasn't all roses and petals though as there was this girl I used to like at school (for real) and she was in the dream too, we were not going out in the dream but I was going to ask her out. Anyways to cut a long story short she ended up getting really drunk with a person who was supposed to be my friend in the dream and they hooked up, I wasn't depressed I was really pissed off with her as I thought she really liked me. Now at that point in my dream I thought about picking up the drink so I would fit in, but I thought to myself "look at them, this crap isn't worth it. I should never come here in the first place" and I stayed sober. This is (I think) the first time I managed to resist relapsing in a dream state. And what is more better I didn't get what I call "The bleeding effect", where I would wake up in the same mood as I was in my dream (often depressed) which would stay with me for a few hours after I had awoken.
I feel like I have made a big step forward in my recovery with this, but I know I must not get complacent.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on 150 days
Good to hear you've had a more positive dream
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Thanks for sharing that! That seems like a pretty big milestone, when your dreams start to reflect your new reality.

I'm also about 150+ days in. The past few weeks I've been having a LOT of drinking dreams (almost every night) and unfortunately each time I still take the drink. I wake up SUPER relieved that it was just a dream, so I suppose it's nice waking up feeling relieved!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That’s so great! I love how you were strong even in your subconscious state!

I had a really weird dream scenario the other night. Okay, here goes:

I woke up and realized I’d drank the night before and I was so disappointed and upset.

And then I woke up AGAIN and realized the last “wake-up” was in a dream, and I was so thrilled!

I’d dreamt within a dream.

Nuts, I know. 🙄
Old 11-20-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My dreams changed like that too - it can only be a good thing John - congrats

D
Old 11-26-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I kind of had the same thing the other night. The first part of the dream is a little foggy but I think I had had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner for whatever reason, and then I was having an epic battle of wills after finding a half bottle of vodka from my previous hiding place.

I was thinking to myself in the dream, 'It's not a full relapse yet, it's just some wine, stop now' but then I thought 'Well, I've already slipped, might as well make it a good one and then I'll quit tomorrow' It was at that point that I woke up, so I don't know which voice won the battle, haha.

It's funny how our brains can look at the same situation so differently from one moment to the next, even in a dream. I know in real life, if I did have a couple of glasses of wine or whatever, I would be in the same boat, good reminder.

SC
Old 11-30-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hate using dreams but I think they might actually reinforce my commitment to sobriety by providing a vivid reminder of how much drinking sucks.

(I'm 18 months sober and the using dreams are less frequent, but still vivid and pretty painful).
Old 12-01-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very cool John! My nightmares turned into vivid dreams then 'regular ones' (I have remembered most dreams since I was little)...and the drinking dreams pop up occasionally here thru my 4th yr. Tends to tie to when I am really stressed or thinking (too?) hard on something. And "drinking" dreams now means other people's drinking sometimes, too, not mine

Keep going!