Notices

?

Old 11-17-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

?

Day 195. I thought I’d feel super. For some reason these past 3-4 days I’ve felt so anxious (just like the anxiety from when I was actively drinking) and so sad. I have a giant pit in my stomach and I’m about to burst into tears.

I won’t drink. But, at the moment, I want to.

Anyway, just had to get that out.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was still having cravings, urges, obsessing, whatever you wanna call it well into my first year.

The good news is you're not a machine. This process ebs and flows like the ocean. As real as this feels right now, you'll even out before long.

I read somewhere the average craving lasts between 10-30 minutes. Sometimes, you can have a day full of them one right after the other. The thing that helped me the most was keeping myself busy.

You'll feel better soon. Hang in there.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I was still having cravings, urges, obsessing, whatever you wanna call it well into my first year.

The good news is you're not a machine. This process ebs and flows like the ocean. As real as this feels right now, you'll even out before long.

I read somewhere the average craving lasts between 10-30 minutes. Sometimes, you can have a day full of them one right after the other. The thing that helped me the most was keeping myself busy.

You'll feel better soon. Hang in there.
Thank you, Bulldog. It’s so, so tempting to go to the hotel lobby (next door!) and order a drink and just feel like I can relax. I’d love it, until it was over. Then the hell would start. I’m just feeling shaky and that really scares me.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Friend!! Hope you’re feeling better!!

Great job on 195 days!! Hope you have a good week!
Old 11-17-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi So Hard,
Just wanted to check in and say I am thinking of you. Glad you are posting how you are feeling. I hope this feeling passes quickly for you. You have been really supportive to me as well as a lot of people. I am not sure if you can go for a walk, get a milkshake or something sweet. I am just glad you recognized the hell would start. That is the only constant I can count on every time I pick up a drink.

I hope you are able to have a restful sober sleep and feel really relieved and much better tomorrow Monday morning.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

This too shall pass. It is alright for me to think of wanting to drink, but it is not alright for me to drink. Big distinction between the two. My thoughts are just thoughts. I let them come. I let them go. My actions are what impact my future.

I don't know what I thought on day 195. Those thoughts came. Those thoughts went. Obviously nothing monumental was thought. My actions must have been alright though because I am still sober today some 6,000 days or so later and for that I am so grateful.

Mantra to self: This too shall pass... if I let it.

Congrats on 195 days. How great is that!
Old 11-17-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I’m playing the tape forward to try to stop myself. I KNOW if I drank I’d need to call in sick tomorrow, because I wouldn’t be able to stop. Jesus I’d probably get alcohol poisoning because my body hasn’t had the drug in over 6 months. It’s this horrible substance that has nearly killed me and that would make my anxiety hit the roof if I took it. I’ve saved so much money, gotten a great job, have a perfect puppy, bought my own home, etc.

Yet all I can think about is how much I want a martini and to just have a moment to sort of space out in that martini kind of way. I’m literally crying.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

I’m literally crying.
Ball your eyes out if that is what you need to do. Tomorrow you will be glad you did rather than pick up a martini. I have never regretted not drinking. I can't say the same thing about drinking.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Crying is great, take a bath and go to bed early, whatever it takes to get to tomorrow morning sober. You know it will feel like a huge victory! Which it will be.

We all have feelings like this along the way- and just being with them and going on with those days is the way to get thru them. Better ones will come.

Glad you are here and sharing.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi So hard

like others have said here I still had bad days in my first year - The difference was I knew I know had a multitude of options besides the bottle.

I posted here, posted to help others, and did the kinds of things I could only do sober - eat a nice meal, go out with trusted friends, see a movie I wanted to see - all those things that come with the freedom of recovery

This end of the year is a little unsettling too - and not only for alcoholics or addicts.
Use your support - you're not alone - you'll get through this

D
Old 11-17-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I just really miss my dad, too. I really do.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will get better, I promise you. Just stay sober, no matter what!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
It will get better, I promise you. Just stay sober, no matter what!
thank you. I hope. I really do. I don’t want to have moments like this forever. 99.99% of the time I LOVE being sober. Just every once in a while I wish I could get drunk (I won’t even pretend I just want a glass). It’s bizarre to think never again.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exercise helps me the most with anxiety, or anger, or any of the “amped up” feelings that come due to stress, or relationship issues...or hormone swings...

I’ve been known to go to the gym at 9 at night if I have to, so I can sweat and breathe and flush all the bad stuff out.

It’s the only thing that genuinely helps me.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

lots of ways to relax, Sohard.
baths can work, nice tea or hot chocolate, stretching, knitting, making a big pot of soup from scratch, making bread, ....do something to take the focus of your “crave-thought”, redirect.
one thing that was really freeing for me was to stop with the “i should feel/expected to feel/hoped to be at the point where i would feel....” messages to myself about what i would be feeling and thinking at any given time in the future.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

Isn’t it more bizarre that ‘just one more time’ is so hard to deny yourself?
And if you know ‘one’ more time isn’t really what this is about, this right now, isn’t it bizarre to be convinced otherwise, or to put such import into trying to convince yourself that You actually want to start the self damage .
You got this Rootin for ya
Old 11-17-2019, 09:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
It’s this horrible substance that has nearly killed me and that would make my anxiety hit the roof if I took it.
The perfect example of the insanity of the first drink. In your first post you talk about how anxious you've been feeling the last 3-4 days. Yet you played the tape forward and came to the conclusion that if you drank your anxiety would hit the roof. I'm betting the anxiety you are feeling now will pass fairly quickly. But if you took that first drink that anxiety would be with you indefinitely, because there's no telling when (or if) you would be able to stop again.

Kudos for thinking it all of the way through, and coming here to talk it out.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That hotel bar looks so stupid at 7 AM in the morning. I can’t believe I almost fell for it.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
quat

Some say the Devil's greatest trick is to convince he doesn't exist.

"I can't believe I almost fell for it."

IT was trying to erase the separation, and convince You that it was You and not IT that was freaking out.

Good morning , goodonya
Old 11-18-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you won that battle.

Around six months was the last time I had a serious fight with the addiction. I won and it turned out that was the last time it was Sohard. Lasted several hours, though.

Well done, you.