Notices

Sobriety is easier...

Old 11-06-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is easier...

Think about it. All the work and anxiety you have to go through to be a practicing alcoholic. The sneaking around, trying not to be noticed as a blatant drunk. Covering your lies and trying to maintain a sense of normalcy when your dying inside. Juggling failed relationships and avoiding people in general. Watching your financial situation erode as you slip into oblivion. Sounds dismile. That's because it is.
No thanks, I'll stick to sobriety. So much easier and enjoyable.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been telling myself this for years. Common sense tells me not drinking should be much less effort than trying to hide it. Of course, it hasn't sunk as I am once again on day two. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whether or not sobriety is 'easier' depends on one's circumstances. But regardless of that, sobriety makes my life so much simpler. And hardly any drama.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

I could blah, blah, blah, "I'm a martyr, because I quit drinking," but I would not had done it if life was not infinitely easier sober. I really think the secret needs to get out.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sober living is definitely rewarding.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
I could blah, blah, blah, "I'm a martyr, because I quit drinking," but I would not had done it if life was not infinitely easier sober. I really think the secret needs to get out.

ha! Well said!
Old 11-07-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
G-Woman

No more withdrawal, no more crippling anxiety, no more lost time, and no more disappointed loved ones.

No matter what sober life throws at me, nothing could be worse than drinking.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agreed, it is definitely less stressful. Things are not perfect mind you but they don't have to be, but they are better is all I can say.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Think about it. All the work and anxiety you have to go through to be a practicing alcoholic. The sneaking around, trying not to be noticed as a blatant drunk. Covering your lies and trying to maintain a sense of normalcy when your dying inside. Juggling failed relationships and avoiding people in general. Watching your financial situation erode as you slip into oblivion. Sounds dismile. That's because it is.
No thanks, I'll stick to sobriety. So much easier and enjoyable.
Well said!

As a former abuser, we often don't weight our options. In fact we never consider options at all. I never drank to NOT get drunk. I never seriously considered not drinking or moderation. The truth is when we look at our options and consider what truly makes us feel better in the long run, we find motivation to change. To change our thinking and move toward a behavior that will make us happier in the long run!

Addictions are behaviors used to reverse feelings of intolerable helplessness. There are other more healthy ways to reverse those feelings and empower ourselves and it starts with options that last.

"Don't be conformed to this world, be transformed with new thinking." Romans 12:2
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Facing life on it's own terms is not an easy thing to do, but I agree that being sober makes it much easier. Far fewer messes to clean up as well, which is very hard and sometimes impossible.