SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Scared (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/442871-scared.html)

sadforldr7 10-21-2019 04:38 PM

Scared

Scared, 2nd time through this after free for almost 2 years..

Day 6...trying to sleep, still feel awful. Appetite is coming back, but food isn't agreeing with me completely.

Just need positive encouragement to keep me from contemplating damage to myself, etc.

VikingGF 10-21-2019 05:18 PM

Sad- You have 2 years under your belt so it's not like you are starting all over- sorry for what you're going through, but what did you learn in those 2 years that can help you now- and what do you need to change so this doesn't happen again? 6 days out is great- keep going. Everyone stumbles- it's the ability to pick yourself up and keep going that makes you different. You came here for a reason- you know you must change and you have so many tools- now it's time to add to the toolbox- get some support, whatever kind you feel comfortable with and keep moving forward. You can totally do this- have no shame- just go forward. We are all here for you so please do reach out. I know you can succeed.

least 10-21-2019 05:19 PM

You've got almost a week sober and that's a great start. :) I hope our support can help you stay sober for good. :hug:

I drank again after 20 yrs sober. :( It took me almost three years to get sober again, but I did it and this December I'll have 10 yrs sober. It is possible.

Take good care of yourself. Good food, rest, and exercise will go far to restore you to good health. :hug:

Sohard 10-21-2019 05:22 PM

You can do this! Wow...TWO YEARS sober and free??!! You’re an inspiration to me. I’m at almost 6 months. I pray I’m as successful as you were and can surely be again. You’ve climbed this mountain already. You already know the challenging parts and what to do in crazy weather. Just put your head down and keep climbing and you’ll pass up your last height and go even further. Relatively, it’ll be a breeze. Remember it gets easier. It gets ENJOYABLE.

sadforldr7 10-21-2019 05:24 PM

Thank you both.

Ashamed...I was at 18 months and then gave in little by little.

Feel like hell. Body hurts...can't sleep.

In tears tonight for failing myself.

sadforldr7 10-21-2019 05:30 PM

Thank you. It's been a difficult 6 days...hoping the 'hopefulness' comes back to me soon. Right now it's just fear...

Ghostlight1 10-21-2019 05:33 PM

I relapsed after seven months once and would drink for more years than I care to remember.
Listen to Least who drank after twenty years sober.
Sorry you're feeling so bad, but remember, you never have to feel this way again.
Congratulations on day six, you're off to a great start. We're all here for you, so keep close and reading and posting if you like.

VikingGF 10-21-2019 05:34 PM

Oh, I know those tears only too well. But you are here and that's what's important, so go to sleep and tomorrow will be day 7. A week! That's great. Keep coming, keep posting and consider joining the class of October or the 24 hour commitment thread. I swear, those people saved my life. Be proud of your sober time and your commitment to yourself.

Dee74 10-21-2019 05:40 PM

You can do this Sadforldr - 6 days in it gets better and better from here - you know this :)

you'll be OK :)

D

sadforldr7 10-21-2019 05:59 PM

I guess my fear lies in knowing that this feels as if its my absolute last chance...terrified of damage I've done. Hope my body feels better soon...then maybe my brain, spirit and heart.

Thank you for the encouragement. I live alone and don't know anyone in the town I moved to months ago...makes this a bit harder.

Sohard 10-21-2019 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sadforldr (Post 7293700)
I guess my fear lies in knowing that this feels as if its my absolute last chance...terrified of damage I've done. Hope my body feels better soon...then maybe my brain, spirit and heart.

Thank you for the encouragement. I live alone and don't know anyone in the town I moved to months ago...makes this a bit harder.

The good news is that I can assure you that your body, brain, spirit, and heart will all feel better soon if you just do not drink. Just breathe and take it day by day until not drinking becomes the new default state. It will become that, you know that. Just look ahead 30 days, not a lifetime. Anyone can do anything for 30 days (said someone else on this site). And it’s true. And in 30 days this will all seem so much more doable. I promise you.

And, please really read this: do NOT feel ashamed, as you wrote a few posts up. DO NOT FEEL ASHAMED. You have an addiction to a substance that society shoves in our faces at every turn. You relapsed. In no other illness does someone get sick and they feel shame, and neither should you. You are here and fighting for your life. You should feel proud.

Grungehead 10-21-2019 07:38 PM

You can do this Sadforldr. I had 6 and a half years sober and went back out for a year. Then I got sober again for 7 years and went back out again for 8 years. I just passed 6 and a half years sober again a few days ago. I understand the fear of feeling this is my absolute last chance. That fear is actually what motivated me to give sobriety one more shot and go ALL IN on recovery, because things got so bad with that 8 year relapse that I knew it was now or never. Feeling it's your absolute last chance is not necessarily a bad thing if you use that as motivation. I feel very fortunate that I got multiple chances and I'm making the most of that opportunity this time, because realistically not everyone gets 2nd (or in my case 3rd) chances.

Gottalife 10-21-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sadforldr (Post 7293678)
Thank you both.

Ashamed...I was at 18 months and then gave in little by little.

Feel like hell. Body hurts...can't sleep.

In tears tonight for failing myself.

I Failed myself many times too. Self reliance failed utterly. It was analogous to jumping out of a plane. I was offered an AA parachute ( A means to get the power to solve my problem) yet I chose to reject it in favor of flapping my arms. Sounds nuts doesn't it, yet just before my final fatal plunge, I pulled the ripcord and lived to tell the tale.

CupofJoe 10-21-2019 08:43 PM

Give it time and you'll feel better again. Glad you're here. :)

sadforldr7 10-21-2019 09:18 PM

Thanks to all that have posted tonight in response. I am hoping tomorrow is better. Desperately need some decent sleep.

sadforldr7 10-22-2019 11:52 AM

Day 7...still fell like hell. Achy, tired, headaches...all earned and deserved. Scared I won't feel better this time.

CupofJoe 10-22-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sadforldr (Post 7294152)
Day 7...still fell like hell. Achy, tired, headaches...all earned and deserved. Scared I won't feel better this time.

Give it time. Your body is recovering from the shock. If you're really worried, you can go to the doctor.

Just make sure you're taking care of yourself--water, good food, rest etc.

I hope you feel better soon. :)

sadforldr7 10-22-2019 02:16 PM

Thanks...I'm great at trying to help soothe others, but for me not much is soothing me today. Scared, lonely, sick and just utterly feeling depressed.

wiscsober 10-22-2019 02:23 PM

Sadforldr: 7 days with 2 years of experience! Body and mind will start leveling out....I'm at 1 month and feeling so much better than that first week. Stay close to those that support your efforts....healthy food and hydration goes a long way.

Stayingsassy 10-22-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sadforldr (Post 7293700)

The fear, shame, sadness and guilt are common, but I think they can sometimes be a trick our brain plays on us to get us to go back to drinking.

Conquering the addiction with this six day start is positive. It is life affirming, it is a giant step away from the addiction and the darkness. Fear, shame, sadness and guilt aren’t part of your journey now. You’re moving toward the light.

It’s ok to feel it, but don’t let it sink you under. If the feelings start to overwhelm, it’s usually that craving in your brain trying to get you to go back to the drink.