Notices

George Best

Old 10-19-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

George Best

I watched a documentary on that great 1960’s footballer George Best. The documentary was made by George’s son Callum. It deals with the effect of severe alcoholism on children of alcoholic parents. Callum also interviewed a number of children in a similar position.

The profound and pervasive negative effect of children growing up in alcoholic homes cannot be overstated. Callum’s father is a national hero even to this day. He was an international superstar. Yet he spent the last 30 years of his life being permanently drunk. He received a liver transplant. That did not help. The second liver also succumb to his severe alcoholism.

Although Callum spent a lot of time with his dad he never knew him. He only knew a drunk in a pub.

Alcoholism is a thief. It steals time, values, dignity and lives.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He definitely tried to quit, got something like eight months at one point. But yeah the siren call was too strong. Don't know what recovery support he had or sought out.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's really interesting how his early life was so glamourised - a perception which engrains itself into the mindset of the heavy drinker and makes it extremely difficult to let go when all other indicators are telling you that the game is up. It's something I struggle with, I have to say. And then comes the self-pity!