Notices

2 Years

Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Years

Milestones have been hard for me and much like last year I've been dwelling on feeling kind of depressed and disappointed in myself for not accomplishing more by now, and just generally feeling all over the place emotionally.. But still looking back this second year has been much easier and better than the first. Sobriety has simply become the unseen but all important foundation in my life that provides me with the stability to build on which I desperately needed. I know I can never allow complacency or arrogance to set in but what once seemed literally impossible has become effortless, and I'm very grateful for that. I no longer feel like my addiction (active or non-active) makes me an outcast or restricted in some fundamental way. I've found a power within myself I never knew existed and I no longer need to hide behind the mask of alcohol. I didn’t originally set out to change my entire lifestyle but that’s exactly what’s happened as I’ve continued moving forward in this journey. Now just hoping to make some tangible progress in other areas in this 3rd year..

But mostly wanted to say there’s no question quitting drinking has been the best decision I've ever made and I couldn't have done it without this forum. So thanks to everyone who has been here and put up with all my complaining over the past couple years. I’ve learned a lot from the whole spectrum of different beliefs and perspectives here.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Cosima
I hope year 3 is the best yet

D
Old 10-11-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Many happy returns, Cos! I think maybe you've done more than you know; it just may not be visible to the eye.

Thanks for being here.

xo
O
Old 10-11-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS Cosima11!!!!
Old 10-11-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats! So nice to read. I'm certainly appreciating how it does indeed get easier as time passes
Old 10-11-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WOW Cosima, that’s awesome news, congratulations on two whole years! My very best wishes for your successful third year. I’m glad you’re here too, thank you for your insight 🤗.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Cosima. I don't know what you feel you have not achieved yet, but for seem to have all the right basis to keep trying. Life would be pretty boring if it was just full of accomplished goals.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations Cosima11 and what a brilliant post! Very inspiring!
Old 10-11-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh Cosima! Congratulations and what an awesome share. Especially that "foundation" part as that's how I feel too. I've found each yr to be different- and indeed, the 2 yr mark wasn't my best yet- and 3 and now my 4th to bring more gifts.

Keep going!
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great to see you at this milestone, Cosima, and to read this retrospective.
congratulations!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 years!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very well done. May I ask why you describe yourself as all over the place and what you want to achieve that you haven’t been able to do. I am 7 months sober and it is a bit depressing to think that at two years I will still be at sea.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the replies! I appreciate every one of you!

Callas, I don't fully understand why the 1 and 2 year milestones have evoked this reaction in me but they've both made me very emotional. I think it's just about reflection.. but my sobriety is solid. It's not really even emotional in an unhealthy way, where I get stuck in it (although admittedly last year I was a huge mess), this year I've just been allowing things to come to the surface and pass along.

The things I've wanted to accomplish have more to do with professional and personal goals, expectations I've set for myself that I wanted to happen on a certain timeline. But one of the biggest lessons of sobriety has been learning not to have rigid expectations, and not to give up if I can't have instant gratification.

Just want to assure you there's nothing depressing about this milestone, the healing I've experienced emotionally, physically, and spiritually has far exceeded my expectations in terms of sobriety itself.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two years sober!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sober style

That mask of alcohol can make us forget what we really look like. And when we make the effort to stay sober, things tend to start looking better and better.

Good going, Cosima!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations Cosima!

It looks to me like your sobriety is beautiful. I understand the feelings you’re having, I think sometimes it’s hard to have perspective on life, especially when we are living inside our heads all the time with no escape.

Well done!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats to you!

I found the longer I was sober, the easier it became.

Before my 'normal' was drinking everyday. Thinking about drinking every day. Wanting to not drink, but having to always give in. Counting down the hours before I could drink. Secretly drinking. Hiding drink.

My normal now is not drinking. I have no need to buy drink. I do not treat problems with alcohol. I have no need to be in the booze isle at the supermarket. I have no need to do any of the things I did when I drank.

I think one of my favourite AA slogans is about regretting most of the times I drank. I never regretted not drinking.

Maybe someone can type it correctly please?

Be here with us for your 3rd year please?!
Old 10-12-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

congrats