Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Have you been prescribed a certain medication no longer require

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For example:

Chlordiazepoxide 25mg

Once you've sobered up and maintained sobriety for months to a year, will you still have to take it by Doctor's order or will he/she finally take you off of it.

I can't see any reason for anyone to continue to take some medication to help with their anxiety and alcoholism even though they have fully recovered and is of the mindset that they will never taste another drop of alcohol.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's a discussion for the individual and their doctor?

Benzo withdrawal in some cases can be rough. Best to get professional advice..

D
Old 09-26-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm kind of shocked that a DR will just give you Librium like that. I've been trying to taper for almost a year now and my dr won't help outside the hospital which I can't do, will be fired from work if I miss 3 days and owe them $5000 in fees..All they do here in the hospital is give people 25mg librium a few times a day. 25 mg is a very low dose for that med , its weird he's keeping you on it since your WD couldn't have been that bad if 25 was enough, you normally can stop cold turkey after a 5 day WD burst of it. Do not do that though since it sounds like you've been on it for awhile, make an appointment with the Doc and tell him that you want off the med, he'll help you taper off as needed.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My short answer to your question is yes; Antabuse was the first short term rx support tool.
Others, we've adjusted doses (Paxil) or stopped (also Paxil- within 2 wks it was clear I needed to go back on it). Two sleep meds (seroquel and trazadone) from nightly to as needed. And so on.

Bit longer yet succinct answer: we are all different, and only good drs can help us best assess any and all, how long and so on.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can't get chlordiazepoxide here unless in hospital or having a supervised home detox, too many people were drinking on it and dying apparently. I have had several courses of it but it was tapered over seven days and I always went home on nothing once the risk of fits was over. Do you have 25mgs just once a day?
Old 09-26-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't know about you, but my meds have always included the instruction to take the prescribed amount up to a certain frequency as needed. That tells me that I can stop taking it anytime I want, if I feel I don't need it anymore.

That said, if you've been taking Librium consistently for months, asking your doctor about a taper plan might be a good idea.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
My short answer to your question is yes; Antabuse was the first short term rx support tool.
Others, we've adjusted doses (Paxil) or stopped (also Paxil- within 2 wks it was clear I needed to go back on it). Two sleep meds (seroquel and trazadone) from nightly to as needed. And so on.

Bit longer yet succinct answer: we are all different, and only good drs can help us best assess any and all, how long and so on.
Me, too, on all counts.

I took Antabuse for 15 - 16 months - perhaps the longest user in history, but I wanted everything I could get, including copious amounts of going to meetings and working the 12 steps, to get sober.

I tried to taper off of some of my AD's back last year, including Paxil, but to no avail.

I'll be on my meds for life, which is okay with me because they manage the brain chemistry imbalances that I have.

If I have a problem that taking a pill will fix, it's no problem at all.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is because we recently had a huge celebration on Friday that bled in Saturday and will last til Sunday and I had just returned from the hospital after suffering a seizure for not sleeping for three whole day and no eating. There were alcohol EVERYWHERE and I mean EVERYWHERE. People could just help themselves to it willy nilly. If this were to happen the week before, I'd be having the time of my life but something happened. I just have no desire or urges or temptation to sneak in a drink or two. I just went for the fruits, the juice drinks, water and three pieces of grilled wings. I looked around me and see everyone toasting and being rowdy. Several poured me shots because they knew I was a drinker but not anymore. I don't know what they did to me at the hospital but I simply haven no desire or temptation to try and sneak in a drink

I know this stormcloud is always going to be hanging over my head everywhere I go.

Happy people. Me, I'm just a guy who is sitting there drinking either water or some of kind of soda beverages for the reset of my life.

Do I regret it? Yes. I regret drinking too much. I wish I could go back and keep things in moderation because I'll still be drinking now without any worries of over-doing it.

I placed it upon myself and the fault rest solely and squarely right on to of me.

I also feel better now than ever after not having drink anymore. This time, it's for real because my DOC is telling me horror stories about what is happening inside my body, or what could possibly happen i don't stop RIGHT NOW.