Notices
View Poll Results: Did you attend AA to quit?
Yes
44.26%
No
44.68%
Other
11.06%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Did you go to AA?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

As far as public persona or whatever, Brad Pitt is attending AA meetings, and I believe they're open public meetings. I live in LA and have friends who've run into a number of celebrities at AA meetings, there's one in West Hollywood that's notorious. Brad also has been very public about his drinking, the problems its caused him, and his sober journey. He has two HUGE movies out right now.

Not sure how much more "public persona" you can get than that. I'm sure a few people will judge him for having been an alcoholic, but I suspect that far FAR more respect him for his honesty and bravery.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went to AA a few times, and also an addiction group through my insurance. SR ended up to be my biggest support.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd rather be known for being in recovery than being drunk,
D
This. I don't flaunt my recovery outside of AA, but I don't freak out any more if someone walks into a meeting who I know from outside the rooms. It has actually happened surprisingly few times. And when it does, I remind myself that the world doesn't revolve around me, and they are going through their own pain at the moment and couldn't care less about me.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Not sure for everyone, but I tend to believe (based on reading and listening to others and their stories) that once folks reach a certain spot in their new sober journey, it becomes less important if anyone else knows or not. As in, who really cares? The most important part is YOU feeling comfortable and strong, AA or not.

In regards to the public persona issue: Go to AA if you want, you're the only one doing you, no one else is going to get sober for you. You will be remembered as either the person who doesn't drink anymore, or the person who is a complete drunk...either way, after a short amount of time, no one cares what you do.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I've been sober for 10+ years using only online resources (SR and FB). So many different options out there these days. Find what works for you and work it!
Old 09-30-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

About 10 years ago when I was desperate to get sober I started going to AA. I went to several meetings a week, got a sponsor, worked the steps, etc.

Over time my attendance started to decrease as I stayed sober and focused on other areas of my life.

The past few years I usually attended one meeting a week, but that has dwindled away and I haven't attended a meeting in months. I will be sober 10 years next spring.

I have run into a couple of guys from my group in restaurants and grocery stores and it was great to catch up with them. But I'm not feeling the need to get back to AA now. However, I would quickly go back if I felt the need.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
As far as public persona or whatever, Brad Pitt is attending AA meetings, and I believe they're open public meetings. I live in LA and have friends who've run into a number of celebrities at AA meetings, there's one in West Hollywood that's notorious. Brad also has been very public about his drinking, the problems its caused him, and his sober journey. He has two HUGE movies out right now.

Not sure how much more "public persona" you can get than that. I'm sure a few people will judge him for having been an alcoholic, but I suspect that far FAR more respect him for his honesty and bravery.
Fans have a very short memory when it comes to celebrities. Definitely far more judgmental of everyday folks than the stars. Take Robert Downey Jr for example. A total junkie at one point in his life, now everybody loves Iron Man. Granted, most of his fans are probably too young to even know about his past.

Still, people tend to criticize the everyday Joe that has real world problems and make excuses for the filthy rich and famous who, for all intents and purposes, have the world by its balls.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gal220 View Post
This. I don't flaunt my recovery outside of AA, but I don't freak out any more if someone walks into a meeting who I know from outside the rooms. It has actually happened surprisingly few times. And when it does, I remind myself that the world doesn't revolve around me, and they are going through their own pain at the moment and couldn't care less about me.
This is why I couldn't care less if anyone knows. If someone walks into an AA meeting and sees me, why should I be embarrassed? They're there for the same reason. But I also have no problem being blunt and throwing humility aside. I'm an open book.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I went to rehab, and part of my inpatient rehab requirement was to attend AA every night. It was impossible NOT to go, because it was right there in the recovery center. After I left rehab, I went to AA a few times on my own but I didn't stick with it.

Even though I didn't stick with it, I am pondering a return at some point. I'm coming up on 7.5 years clean - AA was indeed very helpful for me in those first few weeks as I was learning about what it means to live sober. I don't have anything bad to say about it.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I didn't go to AA, although I have a de facto SR sponsor who is a member of AA and who sends me AA chips when I reach milestones.
AA would have been the next step for me if SR hadn't worked.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Not really. I mean I attended a few meetings back when I was in San Diego, but that was it. Seemed like a pretty good group though, maybe I should check some out again.

Currently sober right around 7 months. For me I think the biggest thing is honesty/being objective and not letting that selective memory fool you. AA, SMART, your own thing, whatever gets you there.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've been going to AA for 28 years and in that time have run into lots of celebrities and other important people. Hey, we're all drunks who have to go to enormous lengths to stay sober. Ego can keep us drunk for a lifetime.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

AVRT, SMART Recovery, SOS, Women for Sobriety, Men for Sobriety, LifeRing are a few other programs that also work.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

If you have a public persona, what do you think the chances are people don't already know you have a drinking problem and talk about it behind your back?

Those with the kind of heart to use it against you will find anything to try to make you look bad. As others have said, would you rather be known as a closet drunk or someone who's brave enough to tackle their problems?

I also have a high-profile, public facing career and that's part of what got me in so much trouble with alcohol, in the first place. The pressure, loneliness, and stress of trying to keep up an image of being perfect on the outside nearly destroyed me on the inside.

It took hitting rock bottom and trying to drag myself out that's been the most liberating, healthy, and best decision I've ever made. Bonus is the shame and fear people would "find out" what I was the only one refusing to see now puts me in a position to try to help someone else not experience the kind of stigma, embarrassment, and dread of asking for the help they (we) all may find ourselves at some point in life needing.

You could save someone's life simply by being honest about yours.

And, I've not attended AA. SR, CBT therapy, exercise, and eliminating anything or anyone toxic have been my tools for phase 2 of life's epic journey.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd rather be known for being in recovery than being drunk,
D
This really resonates with me. I mean I didn't go to AA bc I am not religious but I had a similar experience to yours. I needed to talk to a pharmacist about a side effect of the drug that keeps me sober, Naltrexone.

I told my wife that I, as a highly educated successful person, was embarrassed to have to call and talk to this other highly educated successful person and say, "I'm taking this drug bc I can't stop drinking without it and ........"

My wife said to me, and it makes sense, people are going to think better of you for having a problem and dealing with it. Fixing it. People respect that. Everyone has problems and the people that avoid dealing with them are the ones to be pitted. Not the ones seeking help.

I called the pharmacist. There was no hint of judgment in her voice. In fact the opposite. Like my wife predicted.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meatball2 View Post
I am on the fence about this, as I have a very public persona that could be negatively affected by this.
Hope you're still with us, Meatball.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I went to a couple. I found that AA was just not for me. This group helps me stay on track. 4119 days sober.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I haven't been to AA for quite a few years now, but in the past I've been to a lot of meetings. I learnt quite a lot at AA and once did two years sober, though it was usually 3 months at a time which I could also do without AA.

AA is not really for me, there are too many things that I disagree with or am unsure about. Prozac has had a big effect on my life and I feel with that and SR and Rational Recovery and AVRT I'm on my way to living an enjoyable life. Just need to build up some energy now.

My Rational Recovery book just came today yaaaay
Old 11-14-2019, 10:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I live in LA and have friends who've run into a number of celebrities at AA meetings,
Saw an A-list guy at a Palo Alto meeting last year ...

Funny because a lady I've known in AA for many years was chairing the meeting and her face was bright red because she was soooooo nervous with him in the room.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes I go to AA,I could always stop drinking,I couldn’t stay stopped.I did three years once beforeAA.

I was 16 years sober last May.

Over the years I have seen several well known people in the rooms,musicians (I live near a big venue) and sportspeople,nobody takes any notice of them,we are all equal in the rooms of AA.

I will never stop attending meetings.As long as I can physically get to them.