Notices

another question on withdrawal please

Old 09-04-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another question on withdrawal please

Whenever I stop drinking for several days and weeks I don't seem to have any symptoms...I just feel better all round. Does this mean it is safe for me to go cold turkey? I really don't understand the physiological impact of withdrawal, but I know I have never, in the many attempts to quit, had any unpleasant symptoms. I don't even get hangovers.

I have drunk 1-2 bottles of wine a day for about 5 years. Plus various breaks..longest 2 weeks.
Day 2 sober as of today. Will I be ok? Is there anything I need to be aware of in myself?

TY xx (and hope you are all well)
Old 09-04-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Boots
welcome back

we can't give you medical advice like that cos it's against our rules.

I detoxed without any apparent difficulty for many years, after drinking daily for many years - but the last time I did it I had a series of mini strokes.

Thats not to say that will happen to you - I'm not fearmongering - its just to illustrate how unpredictable this stuff all is.

The best advice I think is to see a doctor - I think that's even more important if you've been drinking regularly for years, but that's my laymans opinion - only you can decide whether you want to run the risk or not - but if you're already on day 2 looks like you've made that choice.

If you feel ok, thats great, if not see a doctor.

D
Old 09-04-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No way to know, boots.

If you have never had withdrawals or hangovers before, you will probably be fine.

We don't get unlimited chances to quit, though. At some point it will become really hard to do.

As always, if you're concerned see your doctor.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boots45 View Post
Whenever I stop drinking for several days and weeks I don't seem to have any symptoms...I just feel better all round. Does this mean it is safe for me to go cold turkey? I really don't understand the physiological impact of withdrawal, but I know I have never, in the many attempts to quit, had any unpleasant symptoms. I don't even get hangovers.

I have drunk 1-2 bottles of wine a day for about 5 years. Plus various breaks..longest 2 weeks.
Day 2 sober as of today. Will I be ok? Is there anything I need to be aware of in myself?

TY xx (and hope you are all well)
Physical addiction is how our bodies react to certain drugs, and it is essentially out of our control. Physical addiction can be a cause of repetitive behavior that looks like a psychological addiction. Don't confuse physical addiction with the psychological cause of addiction. It needs to be carefully distinguished, however, because physical factors are of relatively little significance in understanding the causative nature and treatment of addiction. Stopping physical addiction is accomplished by not taking the drug long enough to allow your body to readjust to being without it (completing a withdrawal). An addict in physical withdrawal, is physically dependent on a substance. The body has adjusted to the presence of the drug. In the absence of the substance, the addicts body craves the substance (drug) in order to regain control and maintain homeostatic balance. The addict knows that a quick fix will temporarily get rid of his withdrawal symptoms. This repeat craving behavior, is often what makes an addict look and behave so radically. If all you have is a physical addiction, then after withdrawal (detoxification) your problem is basically over, as long as you don’t have a psychological addiction as well.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/addict...ol-withdrawal/
Old 09-10-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can start getting withdrawals abruptly. It depends greatly on your specific body and brain chemistry. You should see a doctor.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The important thing is not to give in and drink when any withdrawal symptoms are unpleasant. That will just prolong the w/d.

Be safe and get medical help if you feel really bad. I hope this is the beginning of lifelong sobriety for you.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

from what you mentioned and from my experience, you should be fine physically. But the more you keep repeating the experience of stopping and going back, one day you will get the surprise of your lifetime and fell the DTs or withdrawals.
that 's what happened to me.
so, you are better off calling it quit this time and don't look back.
It was said above that when the physical part of it is a matter of days, the mental part of it is another story.
You may never obsesses over alcohol anymore or you may get mental obsession that could lead you back down the rabbit hole. Only you know how bad you went down and only you would know what you need to do from now on. and I mean whether to look for kind of support group, recovery program, counseling /therapy...ect