Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

question on online aa meetings and I need to vent

Notices

Old 08-27-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello i was trying to join the chat at my usual spot aaonline.net but the room said closed when i was trying to log in ...my friend passed away suddenly...my girlfriend and i i think are going to breakup ..i have a court case on thursday thats stressing me out (all over nonsense) im six years sober and attend aa meetings regularly i hope someone can respond god bless you and thanks for listening
Old 08-27-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and for your girlfriend problems.

Can you call someone from the rooms and talk? I know that's what the phone numbers are for. It's good that you reached out on this site.

Sometimes a friendly voice and a calmer head are all I need. A walk outdoors also calms me.

I know you'll find support here.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for responding

Yes I’m about to go for a walk then to work for only an hour though I had a great work out yesterday which helped ...I know I’m not gonna drink over these issues but I didn’t sleep last night and I do plan to go to face to face meeting today maybe even two
Old 08-27-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's very good self-care, SmilingFaces.

Some days it all comes flying at me, too. I get it. I'll be fine and then - Aack!!

My mind will start going a million miles an hour and Serenity becomes elusive.

You're going to get through all of this. One day, one hour, sometimes one minute at a time. A walk and food are my best medicine.

I'll often say, "Okay, [Higher Power] God, my thoughts about this are unmanageable. Please guide my thinking." That seems to help a lot.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That’s a great prayer

Thanks again
Hope you have a great day !!!!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SmilingFaces

Congrats on 6 years. We are a broken world with ups and downs. I'm sure your friend knew they were loved by many. Going through this sober isn't easy and shouldn't be. Honoring your friend by staying sober and celebrating them would certainly put a smile on their face.
We are praying for you! Having lost a spouse due to this disease we can make it through. One minute, one hour, one day.... Baby steps. Allow yourself to cry. If you need to some sad music them put it on. IMO it's the bodies way of dealing with the stress and the loss.

Praying
AG
Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Allow yourself to feel. It’s a gift that sobriety gives us, being able to feel things when they happen, instead of burying feelings only to have them come roaring back ten fold.

I understand the pain you’re feeling with the death of your friend, having lost my father recently. There’s a lot of pain dealing with this sober, but I have comfort that I can process this with a clear head and still manage life, rather than allowing myself to fall into a black hole. Your friend would want the best for you.

I’m sorry things aren’t working out with your girlfriend. You’ve had a lot of change in life all of a sudden. Take time to step back and do what soothes you. Release stress as much as you can. The court date will be there regardless, and much of that is not under your control. Take care of you.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot

I really appreciate the kind words means a lot I called my sponsor but he didn’t answer...I’m headed to a meeting at 12 God bless you all .
Old 08-27-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I haven't had good experiences with online meetings in general. That said, there IS a 12-step support forum here. I'd recommend try that since it's one of the few places here where the bulk of the ppl posting are in AA and practicing the principles of AA.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

You got this SmilingFaces. You haven't come this far, to only come this far.
If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having.– Henry Miller
Old 08-28-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by SmilingFaces View Post
I really appreciate the kind words means a lot I called my sponsor but he didn’t answer...I’m headed to a meeting at 12 God bless you all .
Something my sponsor said which added a sense of urgency to finding a higher power through the steps was "People have feet of clay" meaning at some point they will let you down. Beyond human aid means human aid is not 100% reliable, and we need 100% reliability 24/7. Your online session was closed, your sponsor was not available, now maybe someone in the meeting will say exactly the wrong thing, what then?

I had these rocks in my life. I think everyone has to some degree, people to turn to for support and advice. My father, my sponsor, my best friend, my wife. They all died. Where was I to turn for the Power to be the rock for my children, sponsees. employees, friends, new wife? That question is answered in the steps. A totally reliable portable Power that is with me 24/7 wherever in the world I am.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're certainly doing all the right things, SF, so let us know how things go.

I'm sorry for your loss of a friend and for all of the other challenges you are experiencing.

I agree with you, Mike.

I go to God first (every day and on every issue) and then, immediately after prayerful consideration and communication with God, to the 12 steps of the AA program.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Your higher power is always with you, maybe it's time to start a relationship or cultivate the one you have with yours?
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow 6 years?? My friend what CAN'T you handle??

...but seriously I'm glad you have come here. Stick around.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello! How'd the court deal go? How's your girlfriend? Were you able to reconnect with your sponsor?

I sympathize with the loss of a friend. I lost the only real friend I ever had about three years or so ago, first to dementia, then to death exactly two years ago tomorrow.

It's encouraging to know you're willing to stay close to the people in AA.