Notices

Support for the Relapser

Old 08-30-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Speaking of ego, maybe there is an inherent flaw that lies within the question of “how do we help relapsers”. I don’t think there’s too much any of us can do to shift the great magnitude of someone else’s life.

Be there when you can, offer solace, experience, perspective....if they choose to take it, great, if not, you’ve done all you can.
To me, that's far beyond "not much." I'm forever grateful to those folks who supported me throughout my last big drunk and helped push me to detox. The collective experiences I had, learning about my brain's physical condition and various stop drinking methods as well as the input/advice offered by others over the years coalesced into a real internalization of what was needed to move forward.

I'm sure some folks threw their hands up and decided they'd done all they could for me, and I can't blame them. But I sure am glad that not everyone has that perspective. "It takes every kind of people..."
Old 08-31-2019, 01:33 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Surely each and every relapse and individual is different. So should therefore be treated according.

No one size fits all.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:46 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Agree wholeheartedly Kaily. I can't stand being treated like a cut-out cookie. I think maybe this thread should have been entitled something like "Inclusion," but I think the twists and turns that have transpired within the discussion are good food for thought.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

O,

This was wonderful to hear:

The collective experiences I had, learning about my brain's physical condition and various stop drinking methods as well as the input/advice offered by others over the years coalesced into a real internalization of what was needed to move forward.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
To me, that's far beyond "not much." I'm forever grateful to those folks who supported me throughout my last big drunk and helped push me to detox. The collective experiences I had, learning about my brain's physical condition and various stop drinking methods as well as the input/advice offered by others over the years coalesced into a real internalization of what was needed to move forward.

I'm sure some folks threw their hands up and decided they'd done all they could for me, and I can't blame them. But I sure am glad that not everyone has that perspective. "It takes every kind of people..."
Agreed. But what I was referring to was each individual is not capable of too much on their own (at least that’s my experience. Maybe others have more power than I?).

The positive you are referring to is the entire collective of people, each chiming in with their own unique perspective and style of support. It’s a pretty incredible thing when you think about it.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The ego has been described as the false self. It can project what it wants the outside world to see, cool, calm, collected, confident, capable etc, none of which may be true. In its more aggressive form (think character defects) grandiosity, arrogance, self righteousness, self centredness - it doesn't make for happy times. One could say ego is the enemy of self esteem.

My psychiatrist friend wasn't arrogant, he was sick and he just had a belief (false as it turns out) in his own ability and knowledge. For reasons unknown, he could not see that.

Yet it is possible to get in right relationship with the world with a little humility and consideration of others, and one can have confidence ability and knowledge to move forward without being propelled by ego, but rather by a new set of values and conceptions more in harmony with everybody else. Authentic rather than false self.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

So true Mike.

Great post.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

yes, every individual is different, but i keep wondering if, really, each and every relapse is different.
i don’t actually think so, but can’t entirely back that up.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Not sure, fini. In one sense, every relapse is the same - it's a return to the substance we know is harmful to us, so in that way one relapse is no different from the other. However, I believe I have slowly undergone an inward spiraling evolution to get to a place of acceptance that it's never going to "work" for me again, nor do I want it to.

Perhaps every relapse is essentially the same, but recovery from such an event can be unique if/when we are willing to learn.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Yes, I also experienced a spiral growth from being honest with myself when I relapsed, analyzing what went wrong, and sharpening my recovery tools to do better when tempted in the future.

The old expression “you won’t quit till you’re ready.”
has been true for me. I couldn’t let it go for so long, but now I just don’t want it in my life anymore.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good morning, all.

Every morning, visiting SR is part of my personal recovery program. Some days, it's a fly by thing and more a to-do...and others, like today, it is a slower study and in this case, thorough reading no skimming, of a special thread.

There is much I could say (ahem, ha!), yet today as my mind is centered in gratitude and joy post-back-surgery, I just want to thank you all for this ongoing discussion.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

yes, i can see that the slow spiral towards acceptance can "evolve", so to speak.
though i experienced my own as a sudden jolt, which doesn't mean that there wasn't a journey towards it. not sure.
relapse as a return to the substance is one way of seeing it, and of course that is a relapse in the practical sense. relapse as a return to the...hm.....me that couldn't not drink at times, to being the person who drank...is different though the two mostly go together but don't need to.
no, i don't actually think each relapse is different. at all.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
nez

For me, each relapse was the same thing, only different. :~)

The surface reasons were different. The core reason was the same.

The surface results and bottoms were different. The core result and bottom was the same.

My mind over complicated the simplicity that was inherently present.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

“For me, each relapse was the same thing, only different. :~)

The surface reasons were different. The core reason was the same.”

perfect! yes; that is exactly the way i would have liked to have put it if i were the person who could put it that way