Notices

Health and wellness after sobriety

Old 08-14-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health and wellness after sobriety

Hi friends!

My last thread on my vacation veered off into a different direction, and an interesting one for me, although maybe not for everyone.

This is a thread to address those cross-addictions some of us have dabbled in and others of us have dived headfirst into after getting sober. For me, my cross addiction to food has caused a number of consequences that have affected me and my family’s ability to live well. I have a serious and persistent problem with food that needs to be addressed: and I am gratefully ten days into a keto program I set up for myself.

I’ll be posting almost daily about my progress in quitting sugar, grain carbohydrates and binging here.

But this thread is for anyone struggling to find balance with that lizard brain that seeks escape; or seeks a big hit, somewhere, anywhere it can get it: cigarettes, work, relationships/sex, exercise, sugar, screens, shopping, gambling, you name it.

Peace to you all!
Old 08-14-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In the four years and seven months since I quit I am definitely struggling to contain my sugar intake which is presumably down to the fact i'm no longer conuming sugar from alcohol. I don't think it is a full blown cross addiction but I wish there was some easy way to avoid it.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great idea.

I have been sugar, sugar substitute, and 99.9% grain carb free for 15 days.

Feels good, but not easy! Wish I was thinner, but the rest is good.

Now if I could get my finances in order! I have money avoidance issues big time, really bad. Got to fix that.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you started this thread SS. I was following your vacation thread (yeah I don't fly either) and found your diet info the other day really interesting.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sugar issues here too. Been low-carb/keto for a year.
Dropped some weight, doing yoga, have been back competitive riding for the first time since the girls were born. I have just rode demonstrations or showmanship the last decade.

It is a struggle, daily.

BUT, end of day here, I have trouble hopping into the back of the truck, (my trailers are gooseneck, my trucks are jacked, the one we take to shows goes on a highway tractor lol) If I don't stay low carb, the inflammation makes it impossible to move well and my joints are in pain.

I started the diet as a way of moving from an elimination diet to pin point what caused the inflammation. It has resulted in better moods, I very seldom crave booze, I quit smoking, lost weight, got in better shape, it definitely helped my mind.

I struggle more with food and breads, pasta, sugars than anything.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great idea! I didn't have a sweet tooth before I quit now there isn't enough ice cream in the world.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the topic Sassy, I followed the flight thread as well. I struggled with anorexic tendencies after getting sober four years ago, but for the past year have been heavily binging on sugar at night to escape. I had a stress test done a couple months ago and was unable to get my heart rate up because I was so out if shape. Im 49. Serious eye opener.

I was treated for a brain aneurysm 2 years ago and continued to smoke. I recently quit smoking 5 weeks and do not want to gain a bunch of weight with my quit. Your thread was pretty inspiring! You go girl!

I cant do keto due to cholesterol issues, but have cut out all candy, ice cream etc...all the GOOD late night escapes and have slowly taken up jogging.

I am begrudgingly going to try this squatting thing....grr I hate squats.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Libby,

I think keto lowers cholesterol for most people.

I have very high cholesterol and do keto, but will be sure to keep tabs on my cholesterol and see how it goes.

I dont use as much fats as others do, which is maybe why I have not lost much weight. I also think I dont eat enough, but I find it hard to eat.

But I find I do feel better if I cut out all grain or potato carbs, sugar, most fruit, and sugar substitutes. I have also been doing 18/6 fasting, which is my way of eating most times.

Who knows, but I sure would like to lose 30 pounds (who wouldn't??)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Libby, great job quitting smoking too. I lost weight after quitting drinking but it definitely plateaued after I quit smoking. If you’re starting jogging I definitely recommend Jeff Galloway’s run/walk/run method. My buddy and I are doing it 30 seconds run followed by 30 seconds walk then repeat. I was skeptical at first but just love it now. We even ran a half marathon this way.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dropsie, very interesting! Im going to look into that. I really would like to do keto. I do intermittent fasting but have to be careful with my anorexic tendencies. Im a mixed bag of nuts for sure. Its binge, starve, repeat sometimes!

Atomic, I had to laugh! Thats how my new "jogging" has heen going, because i seriously cant jog more than a minute without changing to walking. In my head, I saw myself as Flojo, in reality it was like Pheobe in friends.Lol. Ill check him out, Thanks to you both 😊
Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm finally solidly back on. Keto since I went off when my brother visited me from. Australia three months ago.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been doing grief work. My past won't be ignored anymore, it's all bubbling up to the surface. I'm reading a book called Homecoming by John Bradshaw. It's intense. He calls it toxic shame. He says that all addicts suffer from it, that feeling that there is something inherently wrong with you. He has you go back and reclaim your inner child. I had a difficult childhood, and then a difficult marriage... I learned to put up defenses, never to rely to anyone but myself, to be tough and angry, to drink or use so I didn't have to feel, to pick people who were as damaged as I was to recreate my trauma with, I hurt my own children the same way I got hurt. That's the hardest part... how could I?

I think it's all come out because I've got my vices under control. I managed to quit smoking this winter. I also have the sugar under control. I'm meditating and doing yoga. I'm a musician again. I'm healthy and well in other ways, so I'm ready to heal emotionally. I'm strong enough today to go back and help Little Me. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Also today I have God with me, I mean I always did, but now I know that I do.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's funny that I don't get cravings for alcohol at all but seeing a donut or pastry ignites the primitive part of my brain more than whiskey ever did in the past.

One weekend I was at the mall and I passed by a Mrs. Fields. I didn't intend to stop but I got sucked in by the sweet song of the siren. The clerk told me that if I bought four cookies I would get one for free. Now I'd have to be stupid to pass up a deal like that right?

My mouth made sweet passionate love to all five of those cookies. As soon as I finished the last bite that familiar veil of shame passed over me. Why the hell did I just do that?

I do my best to limit the amount of sweets I eat. Quitting alcohol and cigarettes was no problem but there is absolutely no way I could completely give up sugar.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Something to try for those with a sweet tooth: I've taken to eating PhD smart bar - Caramel crunch flavour. 20 grams of protein, .6g of sugar for 238 cals. It tastes JUST like a chocolate bar. I don't know if you have "Lion" bars in the States, but it's just like one of those. MUCH better than a Magnum! The sugar high is the only thing that's different. A bit like drinking caffeine free Diet Coke.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
In the four years and seven months since I quit I am definitely struggling to contain my sugar intake which is presumably down to the fact i'm no longer conuming sugar from alcohol. I don't think it is a full blown cross addiction but I wish there was some easy way to avoid it.
I’m starting to realize two years in to alcohol sobriety that the easy ways I was searching for don’t exist. I hope you are able to find more balance!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I'm really glad you started this thread SS. I was following your vacation thread (yeah I don't fly either) and found your diet info the other day really interesting.

Flying was surprisingly problematic for me, still. I thought that the calm I’ve been feeling throughout life since quitting would carry over to flying, it did not. I am just in avoidance mode again, since it’s very expensive and easy to avoid most of the time, anyway.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Sugar issues here too. Been low-carb/keto for a year.
Dropped some weight, doing yoga, have been back competitive riding for the first time since the girls were born. I have just rode demonstrations or showmanship the last decade.

It is a struggle, daily.

BUT, end of day here, I have trouble hopping into the back of the truck, (my trailers are gooseneck, my trucks are jacked, the one we take to shows goes on a highway tractor lol) If I don't stay low carb, the inflammation makes it impossible to move well and my joints are in pain.

I started the diet as a way of moving from an elimination diet to pin point what caused the inflammation. It has resulted in better moods, I very seldom crave booze, I quit smoking, lost weight, got in better shape, it definitely helped my mind.

I struggle more with food and breads, pasta, sugars than anything.
Horsie,

It’s inflammation that is just killing my quality of life also. I don’t know if it’s because I’ll be fifty next month and I just can’t be careless with what I put in my body any more, or if it’s really always been this way, but the body pain when I’m eating sugar and carbs is distressing, and what it does to my brain is even worse. Brain fog, depression, listlessness, you name it. It’s worth it to tackle this with the seriousness it deserves.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Libby06 View Post
Thanks for the topic Sassy, I followed the flight thread as well. I struggled with anorexic tendencies after getting sober four years ago, but for the past year have been heavily binging on sugar at night to escape. I had a stress test done a couple months ago and was unable to get my heart rate up because I was so out if shape. Im 49. Serious eye opener.

I was treated for a brain aneurysm 2 years ago and continued to smoke. I recently quit smoking 5 weeks and do not want to gain a bunch of weight with my quit. Your thread was pretty inspiring! You go girl!

I cant do keto due to cholesterol issues, but have cut out all candy, ice cream etc...all the GOOD late night escapes and have slowly taken up jogging.

I am begrudgingly going to try this squatting thing....grr I hate squats.
Quitting smoking was an incredible gift to your health. Congratulations for being done with it! How is it going? Do you have cravings? When I quit smoking years ago I simply quit. I wasn’t as addicted to it as I thought I was, but my intense and raging sugar addiction I believe has been just as damaging to my health. Best wishes with keeping your weight under control after your smoke quit!

As for diet choice, what really matters overall for health (and beneficial gut bacteria) is a non processed diet. No bags, packages, boxes, bars of stuff: just single ingredient eating. My older kids eat a lot of unprocessed carbohydrates and they do well. I believe it it still healthy. Unfortunately for me, I haven’t been able to keep my sugar cravings and sugar binging quiet with a higher carbohydrate diet, even if it’s mainly beans, whole grains, fresh fruit: I am still triggered hard with these foods and end up binging, sometimes on the healthy carbs themselves. It’s bizarre. Many food addiction diets advise healthy carbs in measured amounts, I have tried to do that for two years now and I’ve gotten nowhere, so here I am.

And yes, go squat. Daily! Just do ten real ones a day. It’s better than 20 half squats that aren’t really squats.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wholesome View Post
I've been doing grief work. My past won't be ignored anymore, it's all bubbling up to the surface. I'm reading a book called Homecoming by John Bradshaw. It's intense. He calls it toxic shame. He says that all addicts suffer from it, that feeling that there is something inherently wrong with you. He has you go back and reclaim your inner child. I had a difficult childhood, and then a difficult marriage... I learned to put up defenses, never to rely to anyone but myself, to be tough and angry, to drink or use so I didn't have to feel, to pick people who were as damaged as I was to recreate my trauma with, I hurt my own children the same way I got hurt. That's the hardest part... how could I?

I think it's all come out because I've got my vices under control. I managed to quit smoking this winter. I also have the sugar under control. I'm meditating and doing yoga. I'm a musician again. I'm healthy and well in other ways, so I'm ready to heal emotionally. I'm strong enough today to go back and help Little Me. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Also today I have God with me, I mean I always did, but now I know that I do.
Interesting.

This week, I’ve been struggling with a lot of these same feelings. Work was difficult yesterday afternoon, I had some feelings of low self worth....questioning the quality of everything I’ve done in my life and I wanted to stress eat, hard. I ended up choosing not to. Thank goodness.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’ll be looking into these.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
It's funny that I don't get cravings for alcohol at all but seeing a donut or pastry ignites the primitive part of my brain more than whiskey ever did in the past.

One weekend I was at the mall and I passed by a Mrs. Fields. I didn't intend to stop but I got sucked in by the sweet song of the siren. The clerk told me that if I bought four cookies I would get one for free. Now I'd have to be stupid to pass up a deal like that right?

My mouth made sweet passionate love to all five of those cookies. As soon as I finished the last bite that familiar veil of shame passed over me. Why the hell did I just do that?

I do my best to limit the amount of sweets I eat. Quitting alcohol and cigarettes was no problem but there is absolutely no way I could completely give up sugar.
That’s exactly where I’ve been in the last two years.

Sugar has replaced alcohol easily for me. It just filled in the slot. But all along the way, I can’t help but notice what it has taken from me. Sugar has been a cruel paramour indeed. The body aches I could probably deal with but the depression has been unreal. It’s just not worth it any more.

If you can keep sugar in it’s place, then that’s the goal, of course! Best wishes.