Notices

Health and wellness after sobriety

Old 09-08-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I don’t track calories at all. Just keep carbs below 20 grams. My issue is insulin resistance, mostly brought on by drinking and stress which led to long term high cortisol and insulin levels in the blood. That’s what low carbs targets.

Cortisol causes body to hold on to fat and down regulate metabolic function to burn less calories as stress suggests possible food shortage.

Insulin levels staying high makes body lose sensitivity to listen to its signals to burn fat. It becomes impossible for body to unlock fat cells so more fat is made for storage and fat is stored in liver and / or near visceral organs. Very unhealthy.

It isn’t calories in calories out. Never was, but big food companies drove research dollars.

Sass, I do have re-fed days and treats, but not much at first. Like drink moderation. It creates more troubles than it is worth until well adapted—I don’t have much of a sweet tooth but did as a child and younger adult. Just flare ups nowadays.

Besides your palate really changes. Things I used to have taste too sweet now.

Real adaptation takes time and patience. Scale will go up, down, or not move as body does repair work. It is a long game if you have hormonal derangement.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

A book that pretty much contextualizes the diet research from early days up to now, and explains why eliminating sugar and processed food, staying relatively low carb, and intermittent fasting (done in right timing) can reduce our insulin sensitivity and allow us to “reset” our body’s setpoint and not just lose weight but finally keep it off is The Obesity Code by Jason Fung.

Well-backed with peer reviewed research, easy to follow, and the best summary I’ve found so far of why we did exactly the wrong things to lose weight as a nation and how we can rethink /reframe old research, add it to new research, and start to understand the complexity of how our bodies metabolize and function.

Strongly recommended. . .
Old 09-08-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
A book that pretty much contextualizes the diet research from early days up to now, and explains why eliminating sugar and processed food, staying relatively low carb, and intermittent fasting (done in right timing) can reduce our insulin sensitivity and allow us to “reset” our body’s setpoint and not just lose weight but finally keep it off is The Obesity Code by Jason Fung.

Well-backed with peer reviewed research, easy to follow, and the best summary I’ve found so far of why we did exactly the wrong things to lose weight as a nation and how we can rethink /reframe old research, add it to new research, and start to understand the complexity of how our bodies metabolize and function.

Strongly recommended. . .
I’ve read it twice and watched all his vids, I am a huge fan of Jason fung, he’s who got me started fasting.

Speaking of fasting...I am 20 hours in and I am headed for an extended one. For nine days now I’ve been in the “every bite of food becomes a binge,” I’m toxic from gluten and sugar and experiencing crushing depression. Last night was “sassy, you are suicidal now because 1. You haven’t exercised in ten days and 2. You’ve been eating badly....I promise you won’t want to kill yourself if you manage some self care....

Fortunately I have my daughters keeping me from doing anything stupid when I am in the hole (gluten plus sugar plus binging plus skipping exercise) and the knowledge of my patterns to know why it’s happening. I don’t feel like people who have children get to end it all: you forgo that right when you decide to have them.

After fasting this long I actually feel like I can go to the gym tomorrow, and I haven’t had thoughts that I could manage that for over a week. Planning to go to the gym is my mind turning itself around. Then once I go, it clears.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Sass,

Are you feeling better?

Got me a bit worried.

X
Old 09-10-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Yeah I’ve come out of it. Going to take my girls to Disneyland for a few days. Since getting sober I see myself cycling. It’s concerning. Knowing and seeing this happen for the last year or so, I’m pretty good at awareness during the lows and knowing it’s temporary.

I always thought my highs and lows were hormonal but now I’m not so sure. Anyway. I went to the gym yesterday, got back to teaching piano to my youngest and now I’ve booked a short trip for my 50th birthday, let work know I’d be out all week in SoCal. Out of bed, again.

My oldest daughter got a job commensurate with her skills and degree; they gave the offer Monday, my middle child is studying in Russia and I’ve got some empty nest stuff going on, also....I don’t know, since my dad died I’m not sure about things anymore....so strange how my dad dying could throw me down so hard.

I am my family’s rock, so I soldier on.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in Sass. Hope the time away helps. It is hard to be the family anchor.

I’m struggling a bit with oxalate dumping right now. Mostly showing up as knee pain and cloudy pee in cycles. I hope to get through the worst of it soon as hiking season starts for me when the heat finally breaks.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Oxalate dumping...did you just go carnivore?

Oh boy hawkeye, here I am trying to pack, and you’ve got me down another google rabbit hole
Old 09-11-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Mostly carnivore lately. I do eat some broccoli , cabbage, cauliflower with at least one meal plus some seasonal veggies as they come in but anchor is meat. I also do dairy, coffee, eggs, olives and lots of olive oil(s), coconut milk & oil, and spices.

There is just something “calming” about this way of eating for me. Listen to some Amber O Hearn podcasts or talks as she is carnivore to manage mental health issues and I increasingly see why though it seemed far-fetched to me at first.

Enjoy your trip now and we can crunch diet data when you get back
Old 09-14-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hi Sass and friends. What is going on in your worlds?
Old 09-14-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I haven't read this whole thread but the discussion on fasting caught my eye. I had an eating disorder in my teens and early 20's but when that was resolved, I never experienced issues around eating patterns, diet, weight etc again. I wasn't very conscious about setting up my diet or following anything - just buy and eat the things I like best. I did gain a few pounds in my 40s that I did not like but have mostly dropped them by now, with paying more attention and forcing myself to be less sedentary (my work also does not involve anything strenuous).

It was very interesting for me to see, in the past 10 years or so, all the hype around low-carb, high-protein diets and intermittent fasting - that's what I have been doing since my mid-20's naturally, without knowing it was a "thing"... I often felt conflicted about my natural preference for not having breakfast, for example, seeing all the statements also that breakfast is the most important meal... but I very rarely feel like eating until 11am and really need to force it. When this whole intermittent fasting thing became popular, I studied it more and actually got a relief that what I am doing may not be bad at all, and so easy and effortless for me. My diet was similar also during my drinking, but of course the copious amounts of alcohol did not keep it healthy and I had plenty of GI issues before I quit.

The only thing I am not a fan of with my eating pattern sometimes is that I often have morning meetings and sometimes my stomach growls loudly. Not nearly as often as when I was drinking, but still. More recently, I have decided to give a try to the enriched drinks and smoothie trend but I keep it light because I still don't feel like drinking something very filling in the morning. So I just blend some protein powder into my coffee with a generous amount of non-diary milk, no sugar or sugar substitutes. Some days I mix a light fruit smoothie, again with non-diary milk and protein powder - depending on the amount of protein added, it can be like a nice light drinking yoghurt. I still rarely want to drink that after waking and, instead, take it with me to work and sip on it during the meetings - fixes the growling stomach issue like a charm. I would like to experiment with green smoothies also as I like vegs a lot, but have not gotten into it yet.

The rest of my diet is mostly lots of meat, veggies and seeds/nuts - these is stuff, again, that I naturally prefer. Sometimes I worry about the high amount of meat I eat but I don't have high cholesterol or other issues on my bloodwork, so I guess why not? And my biggest meal, on most days, is dinner. Traditionally, that's also something that was advised against but I just don't see any problem with it for me. It's not a binge, just a decent sized meal. My main vice when it comes to diet tends to be the rich sauces, salad dressings, dips etc - I like those too much and eat a lot that I buy in grocery stores - many don't have the healthiest ingredients. Of course I like them, they make my mostly veggies and meat diet more palatable. I should learn how to make my own of those!

My biggest challenge with maintaining a healthy lifestyle is around exercise, which I have never enjoyed very much. The only thing I tend to truly enjoy is walking lots, but not for the sake of exercise alone, more in the city or hiking in nature. I have wanted to develop a weight lifting routine many times, but just can't seem to sustain it. Oh well... Another exercise I used to enjoy when younger was long-distance running - I should pick up that habit again, it is just not easy outside throughout the year where I live, due to the weather, and I don't enjoy going to the gym very much. I would totally buy a treadmill or an elliptical machine if I had space for them in my home. I most definitely prefer exercising solo. I straight dislike team sports and physical competition has always been aversive for me. I mean, I can appreciate any athletic performance and even find some sports interesting to watch sometimes - just not engage myself. I got interested in martial arts and capoeira for a while a few years ago - I thought they were much more than just moving, so might grab my interest longer, plus I wanted to work on discipline. Unfortunately it did not last and they became more like a chore, also too social, structured and too many rules for my taste. I think I would be much more likely to be motivated and maintain anything, even weights, if I could do it in my home - one reason I am considering maybe finding a new apartment again (just moved earlier this year) with an extra room. It is very expensive where I live but would not be more extra than a gym membership, especially with a trainer or organized classes. So that's sort of a health goal for me right now - maybe next year.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I haven't been super strict. I have a month til my next show, so I took a week off, I haven't gained, but we have been crazy active with the weather being so comfortable.

With school back in session we are meal planning. Every single meal. Except breakie, kids eat at daycare, I fast. So crockpot meals at night, mostly, cheese, protein, veggies, a rice krispie squares and sugar free jello, those are kids lunches. Dh and I sub a coconut and seed treat I make for us, but the same. Oh and kids get fruit, blue plums right now. Budget friendly and time friendly. Spend an hour or so on weekends, make everything until Wednesday, Wednesday night do the last 2 days. (fridge has limited room, plus one of the bento boxes I bought the kids doesn't fit their lunch bags, so we run out of containers.)

It is working. Of course tonight we are celebrating a little victory for dh and my farm, so rhubarb pie and French vanilla ice cream, maybe even potatoes!

One of the girls was asking about getting her ears pierced. I told her my aunt did my other aunts with a darning needle and potato. I said, I have a potato at home, she says, why do we even gave a potato? The kids are low carb too.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are feeling better Sass. Disneyland is awesome, and this time of year should be great. Hey, it's the happiest place on earth. Kinda true.

For every 20 people that write about high saturated fat being good there are 20 saying how bad it is. High protein, gluten free, blah blah. I guess everyone has to just find what works for them.

As I've gotten older I just try to be logical...look at myself as an animal and eat the food that is biologically appropriate for me.

And face the fact that I simply can't eat very much. Then eat the food that fuels my body the best for being active and strong.

I have added collagen to my diet which has really improved my skin tone...and lord knows I need that...with my muscle shrinking and my skin on revolt, headed south to my ankles!

I'm loving my new spin/yoga regimen. My body was really not happy with me persisting on with high impact aerobics, weight lifting and running. Everything was hurting. Its been about 2 months of this new plan and I'm seeing the benefits...and feeling them. Just gotta start that swimming. Ugh. Its such a process.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Cooking for yourself is the way to go MLH. That’s what I gotta do too.

I’m trying spin next week knees willing. The yoga has become a given these days.

Down another two pounds this week and eating well. Sleep is excellent but waking up really early morning like pre-dawn. More hours in the day
Old 09-14-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Couple years ago I did TOPS (take off pounds sensibly), they had a saying, "Failing to plan, is a plan to fail." That saying, along with the Alan Carr books I read, diet and quit smoking, was imperative in early sobriety. I credit that attitude with early sobriety success and more cognitive exercises with my longer term sobriety.

I found rubbermaid makes a container that fits lunch boxes, we are set now! I can resell the bentos lol.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Couple years ago I did TOPS (take off pounds sensibly), they had a saying, "Failing to plan, is a plan to fail." That saying, along with the Alan Carr books I read, diet and quit smoking, was imperative in early sobriety. I credit that attitude with early sobriety success and more cognitive exercises with my longer term sobriety.

I found rubbermaid makes a container that fits lunch boxes, we are set now! I can resell the bentos lol.
I used to do a lot of meal prep when I was weight training and crossfitting in my first year of sobriety. I tend to make food fresh daily and there aren’t leftovers: my high metabolism tall daughter finishes everything up. So I really disliked the leftover food. I often don’t eat things even the next day. I’m not squeamish about it (well maybe a little) I just dislike food that isn’t made fresh so I’d end up not eating it; throwing it out or leaving it in there until I fed it to the chickens. . I’m not big on reheating from the freezer either. I guess I’m weird. . I blame my microbiology class from college. The professor was unnecessarily descriptive and so were the smells in the laboratory.

During my two years of lowcarb (from 2015-2017) I bought food almost daily so I could make fresh vegetables and salads to go with meat. Since developing food addiction in sobriety there is a lot of peanut butter, bread, bananas, bread with cheese, any rice, potatoes or oats + dairy fats, etc. along with bakery items and candy, so I actually don’t shop as much since nosediving into this.

My diet is causing a lot of unnecessary depression and it’s not really body image or self esteem, as I am extremely proud of how I raised my kids (they turned out amazing) and keep my career, etc: and I have a good shape.... it’s really a biochemical issue with carbohydrate that is causing a lot of mood swings and at times, really crushing lows. In the past, just keeping low carb cleared it up. I’m not sure what’s in my way, right now.

Probably the same thing that’s in the way when people say “alcohol is destroying me but I can’t stop.” I tell them “you can stop” but sometimes you’re just stuck.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:20 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Sass,

I think the issue of leftovers is funny -- Like LH, I could not live without them, but I have many friends like you who basically find it a no go, who knew.

I can only say that doing this keto thing (thanks to you) has been very beneficial with my concentration, mood etc. I found this with paleo as well, but maybe more now.

I also find it easier to just say, no dont eat that, than decide everytime what is OK. I think it comes from having stopped drinking and smoking, I know how to stop something. You cant stop eating, but you can stop eating certain things.

With the fasting, I find it easier when I am eating keto anyway, because my body has already adjusted.

You know this, but it sounds like this is more necessary for your peace of mind and mental health than your waistline.

X
Old 09-15-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Yesterday was a total wash. Pizza for lunch and pie for supper. FACK! One kid had orthodontic appt in the morning, then because we have been away showing, I haven't done lessons on Saturdays, for a while, everybody wanted a Saturday lesson. We had a therapeutic group program in the afternoon. I order lunch in for my staff on Saturdays, hence pizza.
I left the barn to grab something for supper with youngest, ended up grocery shopping with nothing for dinner. Dh was working late in the city and I still had chores. The girls said I was awesome, step son was home, he wanted to know why I was so mean to him growing up. He never got pie for supper. I got chicken going into the oven this morning for broccoli and chicken salad for the week and rouladen for dinner. Maybe some pie for dessert, dh and step son are circling it, I fear it will be gone by noon lol.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Lately I’ve been buying half slabs of ribeye or New York strip on sale and I just cut off pieces fresh as I go. Sometimes I cook some broccoli,cabbage, or cauliflower in the pan fat after I sear the meat, and I have found that fresh, easy, and it requires almost no forethought and minimal shopping. Half slab lasts me about 5-6 days so at the weekend I can change it up if I get bored.

I’m actually saving money on groceries, especially now that I have staples like bulk olive oil, herbs and excellent various salts in the pantry. I just get what is seasonal and deep sale. A few weeks ago I smoked pork butt and ribs, and this week chuck roast is on sale so will make some type of beef stew with gravy. I also have some frozen gulf shrimp and scored some fresh lemon grass so that will be a curry to take to work to supplement the canned sardines and shelf-stable pate I keep in my office,

It is easy, as fresh as I feel like making, and most importantly, like drops, it has helped my mental stability, energy, and well-being. The weight loss and body recomposition is wonderful, but actually incidental to the other benefits. Sugar stimulation / cravings for me also lead to mood swings but I also can get alcohol cravings if I eat sugar.

Some people can take months to fully adapt and I think I was one of them. Day to day months in I still am changing rapidly it seems. It isn’t low carb that I did in CrossFit, or Paleo. It feels totally different and much easier at this point. Food is becoming fuel, not entertainment or distraction.

I still enjoy eating very much and prepare food carefully so that tastebuds are happy, but I just don’t need to think about or obsess as I once did. If I have a busy day I fry up some fat trimmings off the steak and eat that first. That pretty much will keep me going all day now. I am naturally slipping int intermittent fasting based on lack of hunger. No will power required though fasting is something I have always done fairly easily. Now it seems though that my body “asks” for downtime to get rid of stuff it may have been holding in the fat cells. Like oxalates.

My body is beginning to trust that quality fuel will come later or even the next day, so it burns fat and doesn’t just release gherlin (hunger hormone) to try and get fed more often. It has been a slow process and still longer to go, but real payoff is happening. The scale is meaningless except as a weekly check in, and even then may stay flat or fluctuate as I retain water, etc. I no longer obsess but focus on well-being and not weight.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I was going to start today, but I’ve been up for an hour and I don’t think I can do it today. It’s sunday and it doesn’t feel like I can muster up the discipline.

In a lot of ways despite Hawaii and Disneyland and my daughter finally getting an awesome engineering job, middle daughter is studying in Russia to become fluent and for the joy of travel, youngest despite a weight problem has a huge group of friends (none of us are that social except my husband, it’s kind of fascinating) and she keeps making more, husband is always on my side now......it feels like personally, it’s been the worst year of my life.

How can that possibly make any sense? I lost someone I cared deeply about, even though he was old and sick, I loved him terribly, and I sometimes think it doesn’t matter how much good happens, I still can’t bear the thought of never seeing my Dad again.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Sass. God grief is the most complex of human 'experiences'. It isn't an emotion, in the simple sense of the word. Its an ordeal. There aren't 5 stages. Its not a process. I dunno. Basically, I have no guidance. I am still thrown back into despair over my husband.

I know for me there were and are 'unresolved' issues with me and my relationship with him...and when someone is dead, there is no resolution. And even that isn't quite it.

I find that I must not think about 'it'. It can be like an obsession for me. His death and my alleged weird azz childhood. I say alleged because one thing I know for sure, memories are very inaccurate. I question what I experienced now and wonder if I haven't made it all up. Of course that makes no sense and would probably mean I'm nuts. But I'm willing to admit that maybe 50% of what I think may not be fact. That emotion distorts everything. And maybe its protective. I've never been able to process or sort anything from my young life....so maybe it didn't happen? Sorted! I guess my point is, I can obsess about the loss of my husband, in the way I obsess about a lot of things. I just have to shut it off.

I think I relate to what you are saying. Everything is good. Its good, right? Then why am I not 'feeling' that way? Whoever said feelings had anything to do with fact? Like the cognitive and the emotional are completely separate.

I hope things get a little better, or at least more peaceful internally for you. Maybe just accept that everything is ok. And that's ok to be ok without your dad. He'd probably want that. I get jealous of people that had relationships with their parents where, when they die, their lives are actually diminished by the loss. I have no idea what that would be like. I don't know why I shared that, and that must sound weird. Maybe I'm a monster. But my connection to my parents, while could be described as a kind of love, is really obligation.

Anyway, I hope things improve.