Notices

First signs of withdrawal

Old 10-28-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doggiema

First signs of withdrawal

Disclaimer- I haven’t actually stopped drinking yet. But, last night, I drank 3 1/2 8% talls. Tonight I dropped myself to one bud ice. My god this sucks. I’m clammy, cant get comfortable, can’t sleep, I’m exhausted, I feel a pain in my neck and liver area, and overall general feeling of unwellness. I also feel like I’m having trouble processing anything I’m looking at. I don’t know if anything I’m typing is coherent and I’m not really sure I care. I feel like I need another drink but I want to wait at least another 14 hours. Good thing I’m not working today. Has anyone else had experiences like this?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes - and you just have to quit. I'm not being a jerk or saying it's easy. But where you are now is a place that isn't sustainable - we either quit or go back to full drinking.

Some people do a taper; I don't particularly subscribe to the idea. It's too easy to play games (like how often til I need the next drink...) and prolongs the reality of quitting.

See a dr? Start a plan (AA, whatever)? Stop.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will only get worse from where you are at the moment. That you can be sure of. It's cummulative and tolerance doesn't get re-set if you abstain for a while. You're altering your brain chemistry every time you drink like that - eventually, those WDs will go from being a bit clammy and not being able to sleep, to intense anxiety, shaking, sweating and if it gets really bad seizures and delirium tremens.

I really need to listen to my own advice.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

The nightmare is about to begin.
It might be good to go to the ER and get a medical safe detox.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doggiema

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
It will only get worse from where you are at the moment. That you can be sure of. It's cummulative and tolerance doesn't get re-set if you abstain for a while. You're altering your brain chemistry every time you drink like that - eventually, those WDs will go from being a bit clammy and not being able to sleep, to intense anxiety, shaking, sweating and if it gets really bad seizures and delirium tremens.

I really need to listen to my own advice.
sounds awesome.... it just keeps getting so much worse. I made a doctors appointment for myself and it’s in a few hours because I’m having a breakdown. I can’t function like this and I have a very high precision job that I’m supposed to return to tomorrow. I can’t be like this. But I do appreciate the warning and I’m seeing what you mean.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Doggiema

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
The nightmare is about to begin.
It might be good to go to the ER and get a medical safe detox.
thank you. I have a doctors appointment today
Old 10-28-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I broke down and saw a Dr last week. Day seven feel great. Home detox can be very painful and dangerous, which leads to more drinking to take the edge off. Every time for me the edge became a cliff and I fell off. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

Glad you are going to see a doctor Doggiema. Like you I was trapped in that cycle of wanting to quit but not wanting to face the withdrawals. In the AA Big Book Bill Wilson talks about this scenario when he says he reached the point where he couldn't imagine living with alcohol or without it.

The first positive step for me was going to see my doctor and coming clean about my situation. He referred me to outpatient rehab (I refused to do inpatient) and he helped me medically detox. Taking that step by going to see him was key in my journey to achieving permanent sobriety (6.5yrs as of Oct 17th).

I did alcohol counseling for a few months and went back to AA (this wasn't my first rodeo), and after 20+ years in and out of AA and sobriety I finally got a sponsor and worked the steps. I mention that to point out that most people who successfully stay sober long-term will adopt some type of recovery plan to maintain their sobriety. It could be AA, AVRT, SMART, church, therapy, exercise, using SR daily, or some combination of any/all of these, but my advice would be to come up with a recovery plan and work it daily.

For me it has been AA and the 12 steps, reading and sharing here on SR and getting regular exercise, as I've found that exercise really helps with depression/anxiety issues I've had whether I am sober or not.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

How did it go at the doctor's Doggiema?