Notices

Sanity and Hunger panic

Old 08-01-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
All is Change

Sanity and Hunger panic

The insatiable wanting hunger rises up.

If I don't feed...

What? Will I die. Starving like one of those bloated kids on telly.

Here I sit, fat, not bloated. Full of food.

Even if I didn't eat solid food for 2 months, while my body naturally lived on the stored food already in it I'd still be alive.

So why do I freak out if I don't store some more food?

Last edited by Grymt; 08-01-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-01-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a bit dense today - is this an allegorical discussion or do you have food/body issues, Grymt?

D
Old 08-01-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm a bit dense today - is this an allegorical discussion or do you have food/body issues, Grymt D
That is funny. I'm crying from laughing. Thank you. I don't know what an allegorical discussion is, but it sounds like it might be. At the same time I do have food/body issues tho not as severe as the post might hint at. A flab that nothing seems to get rid of. Some say it's just age. I'm inclined to think it's a matter of persisting with exercise/being active and diet.

Meditation seems to help with the hunger panic.?
Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a great meditator per se but urge surfing can help with panic/fear too?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)

D
Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
All is Change

Ok. Yes. That's how I'd describe the meditation I do. Observing the feeling and not acting on it. It always passes. It seems to me to be difficult because the habit to immediately gratify the cravings is strong and asserts itself again and again.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New Beginnings

I might be identifying with you .. I do not always comprehend text ...

I do not consider myself a food addict or somebody with body image issues that affect my life (but I do often hate how my stomach is and how clothes fit).

So for the past 4 years my needs have always been met. But there was this 3 month period not so long ago when I thought I could not afford food (which just was not true). I was paralyzed by the idea of not having enough food in me to control my emotions or behaviors. I left a lot of fun social events because I wanted to make sure I ate. I did not take care of certain responsibilities because I had to wait for the time to eat first.

For me I had to use professionals, and share with a few AA friends over the phone about it now and then to get some balance with food. It's not my main substitute for alcohol/drugs (tobacco is my main vice). But I had to address it first because I have diabetes and hypertension.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All is Change

Yes, that sounds like it. How'd you get over it. How did the professionals and aa help you. Was it just the talking.

Last edited by Grymt; 08-01-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Add
Old 08-01-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New Beginnings

It was a slow, piecemeal process. I still do not have great eating habits, but I believe I have a healthy relationship with food currently. I am doing much better than I did this winter. I guess saying it out loud, listening, and trying these suggestions through trial and era is what helped.

The sugar had to stop immediately. But I love soda, so I just said I could sacrifice candy and cake, and keep my soda. Eventually some people in the rooms suggested seltzer water or coconut water for the soda substitute and it work. I truthfully didn't think it would.

My next biggest stumbling block was I would skip breakfast and over eat at night, but with talking to people in AA I learned could have something simple in the morning like fruit, yogurt, crackers , or a smoothie, just to break the fast. It didn't have to be such a huge deal.

It may sound like all these suggestions I should have known or read about, but I truthfully didn't know or could prioritize the pieces because I was so far out there with the neurosis concerning food.

While I was talking to members, I also had a few appointments with my gastroenterologist , Allergist, therapist, and psych doctor (the zoloft seemed to helps well).The professionals were necessary considering my conditions.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
All is Change

I think sugar is one of my big issues. Not so much eating lots but choosing to when I can choose not to. Just because it's sugar. A sugar addict.

There's a local bloke, 98, who swears no sugar's the secret. He thought he was dying at 90 and was suffering from arthritis so he changed his diet and gave up sugar. Now he's healthy alert and active with no arthritis. Sugar's the key he reckons.

A sensible eating routine seems to help too. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Grymt; 08-01-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-02-2019, 01:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am currently on a very strict diet including kicking sugar to the curb.

Its called Whole 30 and I always feel great when I do it.

Check it out, might help.

But if the rest seems like too much, just quiting sugar and sugar substiutes (except Stevia, which is OK) is a huge plus.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post

Even if I didn't eat solid food for 2 months, while my body naturally lived on the stored food already in it I'd still be alive.
It's supposed to be really good for you too. I'd love to do a month long water fast but it would require incredible levels of will power. Plus, first thing's first!
Old 08-02-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well alcohol is full of sugar and it seems fairly typical for sober alcoholics to turn to sugar. I still crave it when I'm upset but have tools of AA to deal with it. My first sponsor called it "trading up addictions".
Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you can get in a nice and healthy routine of exercise that can help. It allows you to eat a little more than normal, and also treat yourself every once in a while. Once you get in a groove you will tend to stay away from the real bad stuff, and enjoy eating more nutritional food.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post

If I don't feed...

What? Will I die. Starving like one of those bloated kids on telly.

Here I sit, fat, not bloated. Full of food.

So why do I freak out if I don't store some more food?
Every ounce of fat we carry around is stored food. We’ve got plenty. I could make it for about 2-3 straight months with nothing but water.

I don’t freak out, I’m just really into eating. I need a good, solid loss of appetite for a really long time. Ideas, anyone?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
It's supposed to be really good for you too. I'd love to do a month long water fast but it would require incredible levels of will power. Plus, first thing's first!
It actually is easier than it seems to be.

I used electrolytes and fasted long periods (with some refeeds thrown in) for a month or so in February. It was an interesting experience. Freeing, actually; to not be tied to food. It’s not a cure all, but it has other applications for health.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All is Change

"I don’t freak out, I’m just really into eating."

Thanks. I do need my daily chuckle. ☺️🙏

Maybe that's a key. Look at it from a different perspective.

Lots of really good ideas. Thanks all.

Seriously though, for me, it's when I resist the urge to indulge and I try to 'do the right thing' that it gets freaky. That's when I think I'm actually confronting a core issue. Something fundamental.

I guess I can try to ignore that and trick my way through the hard times. But the hard times will always come back. Something that actually changes things is called for. I think a measure of faith that something like that exists is a start.

Ps. I don't mean religious faith, though if that works: go ahead. I think that when trying something its necessary to keep trying even when it's difficult. Like if you want to make fire by rubbing two sticks together you don't pause and rest every once in a while because the necessary heat will never be reached. So you need a bit of faith that its going to work.

Last edited by Grymt; 08-02-2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Add
Old 08-02-2019, 11:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The intermittend fasting is good. Fairly easy to get used to, then calory counting. It takes a bit of effort but nothing compared to giving up drinking.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I am currently on a very strict diet including kicking sugar to the curb.

Its called Whole 30 and I always feel great when I do it.

Check it out, might help.

But if the rest seems like too much, just quiting sugar and sugar substiutes (except Stevia, which is OK) is a huge plus.
Dropsie, did you start this on the first? I’ve done strict paleo and it’s incredibly helpful, until I nosedive back into sugar.

The only thing that gets hard is I start craving Diet Coke. Then I start feeling like that’s stupid, why should I give up Diet Coke, I am a sober alcoholic for gods sake I need something that I like, that makes me feel better, etc etc etc.....

Then I start wanting to add dairy to everything which swells me up again.

So, it’s a huge, huge, huge challenge for me without whiskey.

And whiskey is the first thing to avoid.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have tried, with pretty good success, to maintain a reasonable dietary discipline - both with respect to the quality and amount of food that I ingest.

Unless I have to take a mirtazapine to sleep (which is 2 - 3 times per month), I make sure that food is my servant and not my master.

I have counted calories more days than not for years.

I am a man, so my waist (and belt size) are the ultimate barometers of my success or failure, as the case may be.

Even an aggressive exercise regimen, without dietary control, doesn't work for me.

I'm rather grumpy when I am thrust in social situations which resemble an orgy of food (e.g. a NASCAR race weekend while hanging out at my friends' motor homes), because I like to have control over what I eat.

I also refrain from certain things, like pizza and processed meat.

Sugar is not a huge deal for me.

I eat some of it each day, but not a lot.