Notices

Saying hello

Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saying hello

Hello I'm knew here. Struggling with drink still. Managed 10 days AF so far then a lapse. Feeling low like I'm either struggling with cravings or having hangovers!
Old 07-12-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Fluffycloud

Support really help change things for me - and you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 07-12-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome fc
Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We all have trouble hitting the off switch, but trust me, it is do-able and a great life improvement in all ways. It does take some getting used to, cant lie, but once you get used to not drinking, life is so much simpler. Not all rainbows, but better. So much better.

After you did the 10 days, what made you want to drink?

For me, it was usually either "I got this" or when I was facing something I wanted to control but could not. But that is me.

I had to accept emotionally that I could never drink again, no matter what. That acceptance was the key for me. I did not do anything formal except a great online program called Hip Sobriety and a lot of time here. But that is me -- you are you, but my theory is that everyone knows what they need to do -- doing it is harder.

You got this.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I know the feelings you're going through all too well.
I was either drunk, hungover or craving alcohol.
I lived like that for thirty years.
Good job on ten days. What did you do to stay sober? Can you do it again?
I know how hard it is. It took me ten years of trying and failing to finally stop drinking.
You've found a great place for support, so stick around. Check out the Newcomers forum. Lots of help there.
Best to you, and you CAN stop drinking.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind replies. I will go on the newbie thread
Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. You come to the right place. Trust me we all know what that feels like and it sucks. It is a vicious cycle. Only You can stop it tho. You just got to say bleep it I'm done. Then do it. You did it before. You can do it again. Think about it what arw you really missing ? Took me a minute to figure it out. But I am at day 69. Im on a roll so I just want to keep it going.. One day at a time.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fluffycloud View Post
Thank you for your kind replies. I will go on the newbie thread
you'll be very welcome in the Newcomers forum - but you're welcome here too

D
Old 07-13-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fluffycloud. I am in a similar place to you.

I have quit numerous times in the last 18 months. The first time I seriously attempted to quit seemed easiest because I was on a big exciting mission. Then each time I drank and tried to come back again it seemed harder. I didn't have the energy and enthusiasm of the first time around. Like you, I was constantly either craving or hungover. Constantly craving is such a miserable place to be too. I was starting to despair of ever summoning enthusiasm for living sober again but somehow I have re-kindled it with the help of this forum. I joined this forum back in 2013 but only really engaged with it for the first time recently.

I am now back to Day 10. But it feels different. The cravings have been fleeting and minimal. Overall it is just feeling good! I recommend sticking around because something special happens here.

Last edited by Lucinda2; 07-13-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I think back and remember that "stopping" was quite difficult but if I'd had a particularly bad blow-out one day/night, then I would seem to have some renewed willingness to not pick-up the next day. I could maybe stretch that out to 2 days......maybe even 3. By the 3rd or 4th day however, my mind would usually be rationalizing picking up that next first-drink and before long, I'd be off on another run.

When I focused on stopping, what usually happened was that I'd eventually end up starting again. Odd how that happens but a lot of us had that same issue. It finally sunk into my head, probably after hearing it dozens and dozens of times from ppl in recovery with some quality time under their belt, that while stopping was difficult, the REAL challenge was to find a way of life once I'd stopped that was conducive to STAYING stopped. I see now why my plan to "not pick up that first drink again" was always so unsuccessful -- I hadn't found a way to enjoy living in sobriety..... yet. What was happening was in my misplacing emphasis on stopping, I wouldn't address the fact that I didn't really enjoy my life all that much once I'd stopped. Sure, it was nice to not be getting DUIs anymore but I didn't reeeeeeally enjoy it. It seemed like I was doing time inside my head... the pressure would build and build....... and I'd just have to go get loaded all over again, usually convinced that this time it would be different, or better, or at least not as painful as the last time.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep coming back